Build your own gauge pod! CUSTOM!!!11OMFG!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Build your own gauge pod! CUSTOM!!!11OMFG!!! within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi looks like a lot of work for the money saved, but i know exactly where you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    looks like a lot of work for the money saved, but i know exactly where you are at. sometimes projects like that are fun, and you'll appreciate it. i'm in teh middle of seeing if i can replicate the rally armor mudflaps for under $50 total... probably not worth the time, but its a fun challenge.
    bryan
    I made rally armor-style mudflaps for my VW Rabbit for free. I found an old truck mudflap at the side of the road, and cut it with a sabre saw. I don't suggest the salvage route, but I do suggest buying a huge truck mudflap and cutting out four dinky ones for your car. Also, use galvanzed or plastic hardware, I didn't and the sheet metal screws got rusty and looked awful.

Also, awesome initiative on the part of the original poster. I hope you're wearing gloves and a mask, though!
    ribonucleic acid freakout

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

pixpixpixpixpix
    she was like "ahhhh you're nailing me!..cool."

Quote Originally Posted by fokai
    pixpixpixpixpix
    +1
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Pcs on their way, uploading as we speak.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Pics!

After bondoing, and way too much sanding, I'm getting closer to the end product. I haven't worked on it for a while, and picked it up today, so I can finally get my gauges installed for in anticipation of getting my EM set up and tuned. Pics:

It'd tough to get a smooth finish, everytime you sand it relatively smooth, you find pockets that you have to fill with bondo again, and resand. I'm getting better at it, but it's still a learning experience.

Bondo is fun stuff! Althought after like 4 hours of sanding, loses it's novelty. I'm going to try and get the bondoin finished and sanded by tonight, and maybe go pick up some paint and primer. I'm trying to decide whether to go black, and paint the rest of my interior black (like the s202-203), or try and match the interior gray color. I think black would be a bit more exciting. In time I also plan to put a row of switches on the upper section of it, one for the guage back-lighting, one for IC sprayer, etc...

Mods

Wow, after looking over this thread I realize how much of a slacker I am! Quick question, and Im going to take this thread for a quick hijack: Anybody know where to get an Oil pressure sender that will fir the oil galley plug that comes from www.subaruwrxparts.com? I got the plug, and my sender doesn't fit, now I need to figure something out for that. Oh, and are all senders basically the same thing? Hoorah for a triple post!

Mods

damn, once you get that all sanded down its gonna be lookin hawt
    she was like "ahhhh you're nailing me!..cool."

After sanding for about three hours and adding more bondo, it's looking way good. there's still a few tiny holes and stuff from bubbles, and little crevices here and there, but 20 coats of primer aughta fix that . Got the last bit of bondo on the top part, and need to sand that down, hopefully I should be able to start painting tomorrow, and get to installing and wiring my gauges this weekend.

I just came to the realization that this is the silliest write up evar! Atleast it's fun

Mods

Change of plans number 246: I actually just cut out the part that holds the gauges and glued it straight onto my a-pillar. I was getting ultra fed-up trying to put the whole thing in, and it turns out this angle worked way better. It fits nicely (obviously using the stock a-pillar), and after a bit of bondoing and molding it looks better than most if the a-pillar gauge pods Ive seen. I'm currently painting it with spray on epoxy that is normally used for appliances. I was planning on primering and painting over it, but the finish looks really cool, and I imagine is pretty durable. I'll get some pics up of the almost finished product this afternoon. If the finish on is as cool as I think it is, I may paint all the other pillars and other light-gray parts with this stuff. I'll be sure to post pics of everything after paint and installation.

Mods

Gauges are in, but they won't light up.... time to re-wire.

Mods

PMI? You play paintball?

Sweet gauge pod lol wish I could do that.

Yeah, I used to play pretty regularly. I gotta 04 shocker, and my cousins got an angel, we used to go to the local fields and own everybody. My cousin played as a rookie for a year and his team got first in the NW division, winning against landslide by a luck shot.

Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Wrex
    Wow, after looking over this thread I realize how much of a slacker I am! Quick question, and Im going to take this thread for a quick hijack: Anybody know where to get an Oil pressure sender that will fir the oil galley plug that comes from www.subaruwrxparts.com? I got the plug, and my sender doesn't fit, now I need to figure something out for that. Oh, and are all senders basically the same thing? Hoorah for a triple post!

Did you ever end up finding anything out about your oil sender? I think I have a bad one so I'm curious if thet are all the same also..
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

standing by for final product pics...

It officially looks like sh!t. It works for now, but wasn't nearly worth the time. I need to get better gauges and a better gauge pod, but atleast I can monitor my boost.

And I never found anything out about the sender, although they do sell them at G.I. Joes

Mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.