Speaker Install / Door panel removal 2006 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Speaker Install / Door panel removal 2006 wrx within the Cockpit and Cabin forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; OK....i know a lotta people have problems figuring out how to remove the door panels and install new speakers, so ...

Speaker Install / Door panel removal 2006 wrx

OK....i know a lotta people have problems figuring out how to remove the door panels and install new speakers, so heres a step by step process to DIY. Since the Front and Back doors come off practically the same way, im just gonna show how to take off the fronts.

p.s. the 06 panels come off almost the exact same way as the other models!

1. The first step to taking off the panel is to remove the handle latch. This is by far the hardest part in the whole process, as you have to pry the molding off of the latch without using too much force, otherwise it will snap!

2. Next, you will need to remove the handl / power window panel. There is one screw in the middle of the actual handle part, and you can get to it by lifting up the little latch over it. Once the screw is removed, use some force to pull it out, and it will eventually come. Then disconnect the wires.

3. From here, the door panel is held on entirely by snap gromets, so just pull of the panel all around and it will eventually "pop" off. ( The rear doors have one screw gromet at the top corner ). The panel holds onto the top of the door, so once the panel pops off the door, lift up on it, and it will come free. Once removed, put it in a safe place for now.

4. From here, you can see the tweeter and woofer. The tweeter, which is easier to get to, is held on by a screw from the back of the golden bracket. To mount a new one, you can screw a hole into a bracket that came with the new tweeter, or just use 3M double sided tape ( This is strong as hell!!! )

5. The woofer is a little more complicated. First, when you remove the three screws that hold it in, you'll notice that there is literally one inch between the panel and the window, which really sucks. So if you get and woofer with a deep mounting area, i adivise you purchase a one inch spacer. Although no one likes to do this, the best way to mount the spacer is to use one of the factory holes, and drill three new ones into the door. From here, the speaker can be mounted to the spacer, and it fits behind the panel no problemo! Also, if you have to mount a crossover, there is ample room in the door, behind the window, and once again, double sided tape works wonders here.

6. Thats really about it. From here, just snap the panel back onto the door, snap the latch and window control panel back into place, put the screw in the handle, and you're done!!!!

If you have any questions or want to see install pictures, my cardomain site is http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105193
    Last edited by nocturnal_wrx; 04-14-2006 at 02:16 PM.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Central Panel removal

And how about the removal of central panel?

I have the 07 WRX and it came with a 2DIN CD-casette player.
    I asked at the local maintenance center and they told me in order to take the stereo out (cause I want to replace it with a 2DIN mp3 player or DVD player), I have to remove the cover of the central panel and then take out the 2 DIN SUBARU car stereo.

Anybody has done this before? Or should I leave it to the local shop?

Any ideas about 2 DIN mp3 players or DVD players?

5. The woofer is a little more complicated. First, when you remove the three screws that hold it in, you'll notice that there is literally one inch between the panel and the window, which really sucks. So if you get and woofer with a deep mounting area, i adivise you purchase a one inch spacer. Although no one likes to do this, the best way to mount the spacer is to use one of the factory holes, and drill three new ones into the door. From here, the speaker can be mounted to the spacer, and it fits behind the panel no problemo! Also, if you have to mount a crossover, there is ample room in the door, behind the window, and once again, double sided tape works wonders here.
    do the new ones have the shields on the back of the speakers? Mine had that so i had to cut the outer edge of the shield off so i could fit some deep 6.5". In order to clear the window coming down i had to put washers in-between the speaker and the door.

Miltos wrx 07, its easy to remove the double din.

1.) Unscrew your shift nob, and then pull the leather and the platic should pop up exposing the shifting shaft.

2.) The the dash in front of you has 2 screws at the bottom, take those off and the entire plastic will come off, leaving your radio looking right at you face.

About 2 months ago i redid my entire Audio system, its simple, i went for the DVD/MP3/Navigation unit and love it. Only thing that sucks is the radio reception, might have to get a FM booster, but i rarely listen to the radio.
    INFaRED"06" WRX STage 2
    Perrin Catless UP,Invidia Catted DP,
    COBB AP,Greedy EVO2
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #77"Where 06 & 07 Unite"

heres a Pic of the Unit: My New AUDIO Setup!
    INFaRED"06" WRX STage 2
    COBB AP,Greedy EVO2

INFARED thanks a lot.

I already gave it a small try, the plastic seems to move quite easily.
    Do I need to remove the cover of the lighter-asstray before totaly removing the whole cover?

The funny thing is I asked at the official service center in Athens, and they told me that there are no screws, just need to remove the center plastic, it just clips on the console! If I had tried to do that, I'd probably break it...

You dont have to remove the ashtray cover, when you unscrew the shift knob and pull up on the leather the whole piece will come out. Then you will see the 2 screws, one on the left side and one on the right, remove those and the center piece will easily come off. Its a breeze!
    I know how ya feel though, i installed audio systems in my old beater whn i was younger. But i love my car, plus its new...who the hell wants the break something, i would be so mad at myself. But im sure you can handle this.....
    INFaRED"06" WRX STage 2
    COBB AP,Greedy EVO2

Quote Originally Posted by INFARED View Post
    Miltos wrx 07, its easy to remove the double din.

1.) Unscrew your shift nob, and then pull the leather and the platic should pop up exposing the shifting shaft.

2.) The the dash in front of you has 2 screws at the bottom, take those off and the entire plastic will come off, leaving your radio looking right at you face.

About 2 months ago i redid my entire Audio system, its simple, i went for the DVD/MP3/Navigation unit and love it. Only thing that sucks is the radio reception, might have to get a FM booster, but i rarely listen to the radio.

Are you sure you wired in your power antenna ? If not, that would help your reception. Good Luck ! Okey
    2006 Black Mamba - 20G and lots more !

does anyone have a list of recommended speakers to fit the wrx??? where is the best place to get the spacers from or do most places carry a spacer, i think if i recall right my old alpine type r's came with a spacer...

Help!

Hi,

I got into some trouble trying (miserably) to put in some new speakersa and was wondering if u could help me out.

I pulled off the trim on the drivers side door and unplugged the two plugs from the power window controller and power mirror controller.

Now, when unplugging the power windows plug from the car, I accidently pulled out ALL OF THE WIRES from the actual plug, instead of just pulling out the plug.

Now my dilemma is, I dont know which wire goes into which hole in the plug.

If you have some spare time, would you be able to perhaps take a few pics of the actual plug, so I could look at it and copy the sequence of wires in the plug.

Perhaps a few pics from diff angles.

Or if you know of a site that has the wiring diagrams, that would be ok too.

If not, thats fine too. It'll just cost me some $$ from the dealership.

Hope you could help.

Thanks
    John
    johnny_dman@hotmail.com

also

I forgot to mention
    I have a 2006 impreza hatch.

Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by 2enjoy View Post
    Hi,

I got into some trouble trying (miserably) to put in some new speakersa and was wondering if u could help me out.

I pulled off the trim on the drivers side door and unplugged the two plugs from the power window controller and power mirror controller.

Now, when unplugging the power windows plug from the car, I accidently pulled out ALL OF THE WIRES from the actual plug, instead of just pulling out the plug.

Now my dilemma is, I dont know which wire goes into which hole in the plug.

If you have some spare time, would you be able to perhaps take a few pics of the actual plug, so I could look at it and copy the sequence of wires in the plug.

Perhaps a few pics from diff angles.

Or if you know of a site that has the wiring diagrams, that would be ok too.

If not, thats fine too. It'll just cost me some $$ from the dealership.

Hope you could help.

Thanks
    John
    johnny_dman@hotmail.com
    holy **** that sucks....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.