Strange humming from too new WRX. HELP!!

This is a discussion on Strange humming from too new WRX. HELP!! within the Clubwrx Website/Forum Support - Report Errors forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I need your help with this that is making me very nervous. I have a 2014 WRX with ...

Strange humming from too new WRX. HELP!!

Hi everyone,
    I need your help with this that is making me very nervous.
    I have a 2014 WRX with only 2500 miles and like one month ago a strange humming (more like a purring really) started to appear from the front right wheel. The noise comes with a little vibration in the pedals and in the right floor (almost imperceptible).
    This humming start at near 50mph to65-70mph. Then it desappears (at least, I don't hear it).
    Nothing changes when I turn to left or right (typical bearing issue).
    I really can't imagine what this could be. I think that the car has very few miles to have bearing problems. Is it possible to have a worn wheel bearing this early.
    Please help me dear bloggers!!

Thank you very much,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You're still well within warranty, I'd take it to the dealer and have them deal with it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks Don Quijote, but I have already took it there and the mechanic didn't know very well what could be either.
    This monday I will leave the car so they can check well what could be.
    I just wanted to post this because I was looking in a million sites what this could be and 99% of the cases these symptoms ment wheel bearing worn, which I found odd that a car with 2500 miles has already worn bearings. You think is possible?

I suppose it's possible that you got a faulty bearing. But it's good you took it in. Now you have a documented problem in case it becomes an issue later on. Hopefully they figure it out quickly and you get your car back soon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're only hearing the noise in specific speed range, my guess is you're feeling some kind of harmonic resonance, suggesting something rotating in your drivetrain is out of balance. Do you notice anything strange when braking? You could possibly have an imbalanced brake rotor, or even the wheel, for that matter. Might be worth asking them to check the wheel balance (should be a quick and easy thing for the dealer).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thanks Rambo.
    I do notice a longer brake distance and somewhat spongy pedal.
    Maybe I'm skipping an important precedent: before this start happening I took the rex to a track day and my brakes discs overheated (massive grooves appear in the front discs) and they starting to fade. But the fade sensation neves stopeed. In fact, SUBARU is changing me the discs by warranty.
    You think this has something to do with the humming? How can affect the tire running a damaged brake disc?
    Sorry for all the questions but I'm a totally mechanical ignorant. I just love cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pepezeta View Post
    Thanks Rambo.
    I do notice a longer brake distance and somewhat spongy pedal.
    Maybe I'm skipping an important precedent: before this start happening I took the rex to a track day and my brakes discs overheated (massive grooves appear in the front discs) and they starting to fade. But the fade sensation neves stopeed. In fact, SUBARU is changing me the discs by warranty.
    You think this has something to do with the humming? How can affect the tire running a damaged brake disc?
    Sorry for all the questions but I'm a totally mechanical ignorant. I just love cars.
    Well there you go. I'm very surprised the dealer offered to cover your disks under warranty after a track day, but lucky you I guess. With this new information, I'm almost certain your heat-warped rotors are causing this issue, and the 50-70mph range just happens to bring the disk into its new resonant frequency range after being warped. If the new rotors don't fix the issue (I'm betting they will, though), get the wheel balance checked.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Rambo can I haz your brain???

<--- ultimate fan boy

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol, it would seem I have a fanclub, or something...

I'm nobody special. The techniques I use to solve problems can be used by anyone, they're nothing magical. I did a write up exactly how I troubleshoot things: How to Troubleshoot Anything, and Ask for Help Later
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Just to update the case; I took it to the garage and, after a long revision, they agreed that the problem was the wheel bearings. The thing is that they don't know how a wheel bearing can worn off in so little time and that they never had a problem like this in a WRX. And also they are not relating this problem with the brakes issue.
    So, in the end, they are replacing the bearings but don't know the cause of the problem.
    We will see what happens.

Could just be a simple case of a manufacturing defect. Things can happen like that when you are producing many thousands of something...glad they are taking care of that for you, as they should.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying