2003 wrx misfire please help:/

This is a discussion on 2003 wrx misfire please help:/ within the Clubwrx Website/Forum Support - Report Errors forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought this car. 2003 wrx wagon. The car came with a td05h turbo and some issues. When I ...

2003 wrx misfire please help:/

I just bought this car. 2003 wrx wagon. The car came with a td05h turbo and some issues. When I had purchased the car it was running a little ruff but not too bad. I hooked up my OBD and it said rear o2 sensor. I replaced that. Code will not go away and OBD is now showing misfire in cylinder 1, 2, and 3. The guy I bought the car from has since replaced the coil packs and spark plugs. No change except for sometimes there's misfires now in random cylinders. The car runs fine but has a little shake when idling. Since I bought the car I have installed a helix dp, cobb ap, HKS bov, my exhaust should arrive any day now in the mail. I do not run the car hard as I have seen smoke coming from tailpipes sometime when excelerating. I have added some sea foam to the fuel in hopes to clean up the fuel injectors. I have three questions.
    Is the car ok to drive?
    What is my next step in diagnosing the issue?
    Would the car even be running if all three cylinders were misfiring?

I understand I need a tune but I need to figure out the misfire issue before I get it done.
    I understand I bought a lemon but I'm stuck with it now so hopefully the problem is an easy fix.
    Thank you in advance for any tips
    Aloha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Exclamation

compression test maybe? smoke = not a good thing whatever color it is. if you have a cobb ap maybe you can correct alot of tuning issues with your new parts before visiting a tuner. that is a question for the mods and veteran tuners here...i have 0(nada) exp with electronic tuning/tuning tools. i do know that everything in your parts list needs to be tuned so getting it all on board then trailer to tuner? imo...id already be contacting one if i found a after market turbo/ turbo parts.

read the big BOV thread. all of it, youll understand. if your venting to atmosphere, from my understanding, thats a problem.

its a pain in the butt however a compression test might find or rule out a bad cylinder/s. i hope rule out!

maybe bolt back on some factory parts and see if that helps change anything and tie that in with help from cobb. i doubt your car is a lemon, just over modded for the factory tuning. *doh* on that, if it was modded...maybe it was tuned badly? if the tune is bad or you modded after tune then the motor is all confused. again, please defer to a local tuner/cobb/awesome subie experts here. i am guessing!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    i doubt your car is a lemon, just over modded for the factory tuning.
    Agreed. A lemon is a car that has a significant issue from the factory. You didn't buy a lemon, you bought a modified used car. Who tuned the car? While a 2003 can handle some bolt-ons without a tune, you have an aftermarket turbo. If the car wasn't properly tuned for that, you need to either get it tuned or get a stock turbo. You may also not have the appropriate supporting mods for that turbo, not sure if you need injectors/etc.

Once you address that, if you are still having issues, see here: IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    compression test maybe? smoke = not a good thing whatever color it is. if you have a cobb ap maybe you can correct alot of tuning issues with your new parts before visiting a tuner. that is a question for the mods and veteran tuners here...i have 0(nada) exp with electronic tuning/tuning tools. i do know that everything in your parts list needs to be tuned so getting it all on board then trailer to tuner? imo...id already be contacting one if i found a after market turbo/ turbo parts.

read the big BOV thread. all of it, youll understand. if your venting to atmosphere, from my understanding, thats a problem.

its a pain in the butt however a compression test might find or rule out a bad cylinder/s. i hope rule out!

maybe bolt back on some factory parts and see if that helps change anything and tie that in with help from cobb. i doubt your car is a lemon, just over modded for the factory tuning. *doh* on that, if it was modded...maybe it was tuned badly? if the tune is bad or you modded after tune then the motor is all confused. again, please defer to a local tuner/cobb/awesome subie experts here. i am guessing!
    Thank you tirerob, the guy I bought the car from assured me that the compression was good... You know how that goes. I should just get it done again for piece of mind. The car will get tuned as soon as I install my exhaust which should arrive today.
    I'm just wondering if the car is ok to drive in the mean time. I don't want to damage my motor. The car drives amazing it just runs a bit ruff when idling. I'm also wondering if the smoke has something to do with the misfire. Maybe it's running rich because the other cylinders are compensating?? I know that its oil burning because i can smell it. I just ran another test this morning and again misfire in cylinder 2 & 4 and rear o2 sensor. I will let everyone know what the problem was as soon as I figure it out. Thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Agreed. A lemon is a car that has a significant issue from the factory. You didn't buy a lemon, you bought a modified used car. Who tuned the car? While a 2003 can handle some bolt-ons without a tune, you have an aftermarket turbo. If the car wasn't properly tuned for that, you need to either get it tuned or get a stock turbo. You may also not have the appropriate supporting mods for that turbo, not sure if you need injectors/etc.

Once you address that, if you are still having issues, see here: IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    Thank you Calvinball, as far as I know the car was never tuned...properly.. I'm running stage 1 with the cobb which I understand is for stock turbo but it seems to be run better. I did a little research as far as what type of modifications need to be done after installing the 16g turbo. Not sure where he purchased the aftermarket turbo. People selling the same one on eBay claim that it can be installed with no additional modifications.. You know how that goes though. I was looking at purchasing some sti pink 565cc injectors. A friend said that would help the bogging in lower rpm's?? Not sure. Any thought on those injectors would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by huntercw2003 View Post
    Thank you Calvinball, as far as I know the car was never tuned...properly.. I'm running stage 1 with the cobb which I understand is for stock turbo but it seems to be run better. I did a little research as far as what type of modifications need to be done after installing the 16g turbo. Not sure where he purchased the aftermarket turbo. People selling the same one on eBay claim that it can be installed with no additional modifications.. You know how that goes though. I was looking at purchasing some sti pink 565cc injectors. A friend said that would help the bogging in lower rpm's?? Not sure. Any thought on those injectors would be sweet!
    If I were you I wouldn't even be driving the car until it gets sorted out. I'm pretty sure sti pinks would be ok, but don't quote me on that. You probably need an upgraded fuel pump as well. And of course a good protune.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"