Lots of Reposts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lots of Reposts within the Clubwrx Website/Forum Support - Report Errors forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've noticed a lot of reposted questions. I know things like blow off valves will always come up again and ...

I Support ClubWRX

Lots of Reposts

I've noticed a lot of reposted questions. I know things like blow off valves will always come up again and again, but it's irritating to see new topics come up that have been answered just a few threads down. I can't always get the search tool to work properly, even when I know the exact keywords for the thread I need, but I find that google site-specific search tool always gets me what I need around here. Maybe a PSA could be put out in the new member section how to use tools like that? Just a friendly suggestion.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe we could train people to actually search before they post a new thread?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    It's an old problem...Jay actually covers "- See if your question has been asked previously and How To use the Search Function." in his New Member Hangout sticky, but I think a lot of folks manage to get by it, or skip by NMH completely.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Any of you guys venture over to xda-developers.com forums? Heh, dumb question, I bet 1/2 of us are IT/Tech Nerds.

ANYWAY, their forums have a pretty sweet feature when you go to start a new thread it searches automagically and provides you with a listing of similar threads... says something to the effect of "We found these threads that look similar to the one you're starting, have you looked there yet?" Not sure if vBulletin supports that or has a plugin/module/feature that would enable the same functionality but it's pretty darned sweet and useful.

Quote Originally Posted by phatmack View Post
    Any of you guys venture over to xda-developers.com forums? Heh, dumb question, I bet 1/2 of us are IT/Tech Nerds.

ANYWAY, their forums have a pretty sweet feature when you go to start a new thread it searches automagically and provides you with a listing of similar threads... says something to the effect of "We found these threads that look similar to the one you're starting, have you looked there yet?" Not sure if vBulletin supports that or has a plugin/module/feature that would enable the same functionality but it's pretty darned sweet and useful.
    +1... I do like that about their site..

And to the OP, this thread is in fact a repost. hypocrite. ;-)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrownmann View Post
    this thread is in fact a repost. hypocrite. ;-)

Really? I searched the **** of this before I posted, and while I know the new member FAQs has the warning about searches, it's from the old website format, and doesn't cover any of the useful Advanced functions. Maybe I'll make my own how-to on this tonight.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I've noticed a lot of reposted questions. I know things like blow off valves will always come up again and again, but it's irritating to see new topics come up that have been answered just a few threads down. I can't always get the search tool to work properly, even when I know the exact keywords for the thread I need, but I find that google site-specific search tool always gets me what I need around here. Maybe a PSA could be put out in the new member section how to use tools like that? Just a friendly suggestion.
    So in a way your post is a repost if you think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's an old problem...Jay actually covers "- See if your question has been asked previously and How To use the Search Function." in his New Member Hangout sticky, but I think a lot of folks manage to get by it, or skip by NMH completely.

It's a forum if its a repost you don't have to read it just close it out and go about your day. What are we going to do when every topic has been discussed? do we just read the threads and never post again? Honestly 99% of just about anything about a WRX has been covered in a thread somewhere. No one should ever post a question or comment about an STi or WRX ever again with that mentality.

What triggered a thread response after 4+ months?
    2011 WRX 5-Door WRB
    Cobb AP Stage 1 - SPT Exhaust - Bayson R Lip - 30% Tints

2006 Honda CBR600RR
    Jardine RT-1 Exhaust - Fender Eliminator - Integrated Front & Rear Signals

2001 Audi TT - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    Honestly 99% of just about anything about a WRX has been covered in a thread somewhere. No one should ever post a question or comment about an STi or WRX ever again with that mentality.
    This is not false. In fact I've stopped posting on the larger Subaru fora for exactly this reason: the answers I know are already there, and the questions I have are already answered.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    People are inherently lazy. Most would rather have the answer to their question handed to them rather than research. It's going to happen regardless of the stickies.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I think that is kind of the point of a forum sometimes though. Why search for 2 hours when someone knows off the top of their head and you can just ask. If you get no input, then you can search as well.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I would say that I don't necessarily think reposting a similar question is a bad thing. We learn new things as we gain expreience and if the question was asked a few years back, the answer may have changed based on new information. A search won't always yield the correct or most up to date answer. I would also add that in my case (and I would have to believe others as well) this was the first forum I had joined so I was not familiar with the format in the begining and asked a question asked a million times before (is a BOV a good idea ). Had I gotten nasty responses from that uneducated question, I would have undoubtedly left the forum with a bad taste in my mouth and not had the opportunity to learn all I have, and contribute some.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677
    I would have undoubtedly left with a bad taste in my mouth
    That's probably why girls never call Mikie back after they leave his pad
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That's probably why girls never call Mikie back after they leave his pad