Purchasing Tips - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This is a discussion on Purchasing Tips within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I walked in, test drove a sedan and a hatch then went in and without any haggling paid 2% below ...

I walked in, test drove a sedan and a hatch then went in and without any haggling paid 2% below invoice. I pulled the aftermarket bits off my trade and was back a week later and drove off in my new car. I maybe could have saved a bit more... But probably not much and no headaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

With the 2015's out, how are negotiations on 2014's? I'm looking at a wrx hatchback premium in a specific color which i'm having difficulty finding. I'd have to travel or have it delivered if I really wanted it. Do I have wiggle room? With the dealer knowing exactly what I want, don't you think they'd be firmer with their price? The only Subaru dealer in my area marked up their prices 3g's on all their wrx's because they're "in demand" and "no longer making hatches" or something along those lines. How can I get the right price on a '14 nowadays?

When would be he best time in the next 10 months, to go after a 2015 WRX? Do the prices/deals/incentives change? Is it worth it to hold out or am I wasting my time and should I just go get one now?

deals may come and go, but usually there aren't many 'specials' on the WRX/STi like there are on say a base Forester or Impreza. If you join one of the clubs that offers VIP pricing you can walk into any dealer in 6 months and get up to 2% below invoice without haggling.

Just wanted to say thank you to the original poster. I'm currently in the process of negotiating my first new car purchase (and Subaru), and after using this sticky as a foundation, I've knocked close to 3k off the original offer and still have 3 dealerships bidding for my business.
    This is by far the most informative thread I've read on this entire forum, and the advice you posted back in 2002 still carries a ton of weight today.

To any new members or readers, INFORM YOURSELF. Like you, I 've made my mind up that I want a WRX and nothing else will do at this point for the price.I would've probably fallen for the salesman's lies, and ended up paying close to 30k for a base 14' without ever asking a question if i didn't study this approach. It has literally saved me thousands and the offers are still getting better.

If I were to contribute at all from my current experience, I would say it's 2014! The standard paths of communication are primarily over internet or text nowadays. Back in 02' we had cell phones but you still probably called the dealership to setup an appointment to negotiate face to face. Not saying this approach is no longer relevant or useful. For some it certainly is the only way to do business, and eventually, if you plan on buying, chances are you'll go in physically to sign the contract and bill of sale. (Unless you did a internet purchase of course)
    Yet, I've found that if you do a large portion of negotiating over some form of text, it's easy to give off that "i'm really busy and not that interested" vibe. Also, it allows you to really think about what you're going to say before you say it. Too many times, you'll say the wrong thing to a salesman face to face. Like the OG post says, assume that everything the salesman says is either a lie, a kiss assing comment to gain short term repoire (spelling), and that every innocent question he asks is only to gain more information about you to gain the upper hand in negotiations later. So again, unless you have some outstanding charisma, or have to talk with strangers a lot at your job, try doing some negotiations over email. If they tell you to call them, just say your busy work schedule only allows you to communicate through text at that moment. ( Call them when you feel you have a real offer to actually discuss).

I've done all my negotiating mostly over email, text, THEN, over calls. All before I even went in for a test drive. So to go along with the steps originally mentioned, I would say if it hasn't already, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING BEFORE MAKING AN APPOINTMENT! The salesman absolutely wants nothing more than to get you in his/her chair. If you call a dealership to inquire about a model, let alone a specific car, they are asking "when can you come in for an appoinment?" before you've even really asked a specific question. If you haven't done your homework and he/she gets you in the chair, you've lost already. His/her goal is to give you the least amount as possible for the most amount possible.

I've been getting offers sent via email on what looks like a mock up of a final bill of sale, where it lists:

1: The price of the vehicle

2: The price of any hidden options or dealer packages that were never previously discussed, and/or accessories that you added to your vehicle.

3: Price of licence, tax, tags, fees ( obviously, this can significantly change depending on the area you're inquiring in) (use this to your advantage if you have multiple dealerships in different area codes)

4: The final sale price with every single damn thing included. (The only figure you should be negotiating the entire time.)

Again, get these offers in writing. If you go to a dealership in Tucson, Az and just tell them some guy in Phoenix offered you the same package for $600 cheaper he's going to tell you to "go buy from them then!"
    If you present them the offer in writing, it's a legit document that they use as well. You say "look I have this offer from these guys, but you're my local dealer and I'd rather give you the business". NOW, you're looking a little more professional, and like a serious buyer who has made his mind up on a WRX. They're much more receptive to negotiate at this point and they really don't want to lose a sale to a competitor. TRUST ME, no matter how well the dealership is doing, don't get in a pissing contest with them. Walk out if you're not getting the response you want. A couple days later when that dealership is dead, that same salesman that told you to "hit the road" is gonna go through his recent leads and you'll be one of the first he/she tries to contact because you've already laid a negotiating foundation.They'll feel they have a better chance to sell a car to you compared to someone they have to prospect (I know this from sales exp).
    They'll say ok what can I do to beat your current offer. Like magic, wallah' you've just regained control of the negotiation and are one step closer to getting the best value for your car.
    Hopefully this helps.

PS: don't let them tell you a hatch is worth more then a sedan because they've stopped producing hatchbacks for 2015. They may be a hot commodity, but YOU are the person with the money THAT DAY. Remember, there will always be another hatch out there if you're willing to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by iatros View Post
    When would be he best time in the next 10 months, to go after a 2015 WRX? Do the prices/deals/incentives change? Is it worth it to hold out or am I wasting my time and should I just go get one now?
    I have the same question and if folks dont already know, the 2015 WRX/STI's are not a part of the VIP program right now. I spoke to Subaru VIP program yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    I have the same question and if folks dont already know, the 2015 WRX/STI's are not a part of the VIP program right now. I spoke to Subaru VIP program yesterday.
    I got the same thing from vip as well. They said check back in a couple of months. I gave up on the crooks at the local dealer. They would not go down a dollar or negotiate at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I'm glad I didn't have that problem getting my 2015 WRX, got a great deal on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kenmalarik View Post
    I'm glad I didn't have that problem getting my 2015 WRX, got a great deal on it.

I'm glad to hear that. I hope for the best for everyone here. I was afraid you guys were all getting hosed. I do have an in with kia, but I really wanted a wrx or an sti. I sang on the kia k900 super bowl comercial so maybe corporate there will cut me some slack. Maybe......

Quote Originally Posted by jktenor View Post
    I'm glad to hear that. I hope for the best for everyone here. I was afraid you guys were all getting hosed. I do have an in with kia, but I really wanted a wrx or an sti. I sang on the kia k900 super bowl comercial so maybe corporate there will cut me some slack. Maybe......

Yeah I lucked out and got the car for dealer invoice. The dealer was really willing to work with me, plus it doesn't hurt that I'm currently deployed overseas, so having that card in my hand probably helped a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmalarik View Post
    Yeah I lucked out and got the car for dealer invoice. The dealer was really willing to work with me, plus it doesn't hurt that I'm currently deployed overseas, so having that card in my hand probably helped a bit.

I'm glad it did. You deserve to be treated with respect. Thank you for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by jktenor View Post
    I'm glad it did. You deserve to be treated with respect. Thank you for your service.

Thanks a lot man. All I can really suggest is to contact as many dealers as possible to try to get the best deal. Even if you have to drive 2 or 3 hours away, it's worth it to get the car you want and potentially save a couple thousand dollars. Luckily for me the dealer I'm getting mine through is only 30-40 minutes away.

I honestly contacted about a dozen different dealers in 3 states though. It's not that hard with dealerships having internet sales managers.

hey guys i had a cobalt ss which i am selling on saturday, I am looking into 2014 sti at victory subaru in nj (first time car buyer) i would have 30k cash after sale of cobalt. Just wondering if you guys have any tips etc to get the best price from them. If it helps they have 2 2014 stis on the lot and one 15, and i know for a fact those 2014's have been there for months sitting.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567