Purchasing Tips - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Purchasing Tips within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; without delving too far, most cars don't have enough gross in them to be able to be discounted 10% (in ...

without delving too far, most cars don't have enough gross in them to be able to be discounted 10% (in the wrx's case, that would be $2500! in order for them to give you that much off, the manufacturer would have to be offering incentives OR the dealership would have to be ok with losing money selling the car. certain times we are, but you can't give everything away for no money or your doors would close sooner or later.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JoeeZnutz
    .... so basically i took it home for 21,760 before taxes and licensing, which the dealer said ws actually "losing money" because it was like 70 dollars below invoice price, i think they're full of *#(...hahaha well that's my .02
    actually if you don't gross $1200-1600 on a new car sale, you've lost money because of overhead costs.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla
    without delving too far, most cars don't have enough gross in them to be able to be discounted 10% (in the wrx's case, that would be $2500! in order for them to give you that much off, the manufacturer would have to be offering incentives OR the dealership would have to be ok with losing money selling the car. certain times we are, but you can't give everything away for no money or your doors would close sooner or later.
    It sounds like you work a t a dealer. What is the average rebate given to a dealer that meets quota? Also how much is true dealer cost below invoice on average?

I went in to look at a 04 Jeep GC listed at ~ $38,000 fully loaded. I got mine less nav ($1100 option) for ~$24,900. Thanks to Consumerreports.org I had the actual dealer cost plus the actual cost for optional equipment but didn't know what rebate from Chrylser my dealer qualified for.

The sale price was almost ~1,500 under "dealer invoice".
    Doh!

05 STi for under invoice?

how much do you guys think i will be able to get an 05 STi for in a few months?say dec or january?if i can find some leftover that is. ive been hearing people getting it for a little under invoice on IWSTI forum, is it possible for the price to go lower later on? if i could get it for 32k including ttl id be really happy. btw im in so cal.

coming from somebody that used to be in the retail side of the auto industry, i have a few things to mention...

1)if the salesman/closer/manager tells you that they aren't making any money on this deal or they are LOSING money by selling it to you...don't believe them. There is no way in hell that a dealership would LOSE PROFIT just to kiss your ass and make you "a customer for life". BS. well...i should clarify. this can happen every now and then...but not often. As time goes by, a vehicle depreciates. If they've had a pre-owned WRX on the lot for a year and it hasn't sold, they lose money by means of depreciation if they payed quite a bit for it. They could just get rid of it for a loss NOW as opposed to getting rid of it for a bigger loss later.

2) If doing shopping via phone, be careful. Calling in on a car that you've seen online is dangerous. First off, they will tell you ANYTHING just to get you in for an appointment. They might even tell you that you're "pre-approved".

2A) "pre-approved" is a term that in all reality DOESN'T mean ****. EVERYBODY is preapproved for a car. Not neccesarily the car YOU WANT, but a car in general...and that's what most dealers do to misslead people. I'm "pre-approved" for an Escalade right now the dealership told me. The catch is that i need to come in with $15k for down payment. har har har...

3) when looking at used (sometimes the dealer term is "pre-owned"...because it sounds nicer), make sure you get the facts. They may tell you that you "don't qualify" for a certain WRX but for a different one you will qualify. They will tell you this because of miles, year, etc...but the reality is that 9 times out of 10 when you are looking at the SAME car and they switch you to a different model, it's because there's more profit in the one they are switching you to. Tell them that you refuse to look at the other WRX and if they can't do the original one you're looking at, then leave. You'll be amazed at how fast you suddenly CAN qualify for the original vehicle you were looking to buy.

...thought i'd chime in on this discussion.

-cody
    Last edited by Sieker; 10-16-2005 at 01:35 PM.

wu!
    Hello, I am new to the forum and am looking to purchase an '06 WRX sedan in the next month. I would like to share the approach I used when buying an '05 Honda CR-V SE this past February:

Research:
    First, my wife and I narrowed the cars down to the CR-V. We read many good things about it on websites like ConsumerReports.org. We even purchased the pricing info on it that listed things like invoice price, regional sales incentives, and cost of options.

Test Drive:
    On a Sunday, we test drove the car, letting the salesman know we were only interested in test driving. We explicitly said we were not ready to purchase that day. That left the sales pressure off everybody, and we got all our questions answered. We were sold on the virtues of the car.

When another salesman asked what I wanted to pay, I simply said, "The best price I can find."

Soliciting offers:
    The next day, I sent an email to the internet sales managers of the 10 nearest Honda dealerships. I basically said I wanted to earn their business, and I was ready to buy the car with no options/accessories on it. I wanted a brand-new one with low mileage. I said I was in no hurry, and I wanted to know their best out-the-door price.

All wrote back, and I thanked them for their time. I had expected to pay invoice at worst. For the top four bids, I wrote back telling them the best price I had received. The best offers were for $700 below invoice. I called the two sales managers with the best offers by phone from there on out instead of using email. Finally, one dealer said he'd do it for $900 below invoice, and I took it.

I gave him my deposit via credit card over phone, and he faxed back the receipt with a signed document stating exactly which car I was getting and the price I had agreed to pay.

We picked up the car the same night after work and have been very pleased with the car and the buying process. It was very easy. During the price negotiating, I never discussed a trade-in or purchase versus lease until we had negotiated the final price.

Unbeknownst to me, the following week, Honda raised the prices on all their cars by an average of $200. So I'm glad I saved even more money.

I plan to use the same approach when buying my WRX in the next few weeks.

Good Deal?

Hey what's up? Im new to this whole thing and I just purchased a 2002 WRX with intake, exhaust, Wings West Spoiler and Piller Guages (i will post pics when i get them). I guess what I am asking is if this was a good deal? There was body damage but the dealer is fixing it all free of charge. There is 54xxx miles, I paid *15,000. Other than the bod damage it looks really great and is faster than any other car I have ever owned. Was this a good deal or did I get screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXChic88
    Hey what's up? Im new to this whole thing and I just purchased a 2002 WRX with intake, exhaust, Wings West Spoiler and Piller Guages (i will post pics when i get them). I guess what I am asking is if this was a good deal? There was body damage but the dealer is fixing it all free of charge. There is 54xxx miles, I paid *15,000. Other than the bod damage it looks really great and is faster than any other car I have ever owned. Was this a good deal or did I get screwed?
    Welcome to the board!

From the little that i can tell regarding the amount of damage.... thats actually not too bad. Did you get it from the dealer or private party?

I recently bought my bugeye with a bit under 100k mi for 12k. 54k miles is pretty good for an 02. All in all i really didnt care if i had paid more for the car... it was the car i wanted. (although i paid 2k under KBB )
    Congrats on the ride! lookin forward to pics.

Well I got advice from a friend who has bought many new cars in recent years. He gave me a book detailing everything dealerships do to make money. It goes over everything they do to get you in, hook you, and buy the car. How they make their money, where they make their money, and how you can avoid those traps. But even after reading all that, his friends at the dealership told him to ask for an "internet quote" before you show up and you can get it at or right above invoice. I did that with several dealerships and ended up buying an 06 STI for $100 over invoice. No haggling involved. Every dealership I emailed was right at or above invoice for the car. Friggin sweet deals. Here's how you do it:

1) Figure out the options/color you want.
    2) Find the invoice prices of the car and the options (google is your friend)
    3) Look up online the cars at your local dealerships
    4) Once you find the one you want, copy down the VIN # and email the dealership asking for an internet quote on that vehicle (provide the VIN #)
    5) Repeat many times
    6) Enjoy your new car at a super-cheap no-haggle price
    2006 Black STI - stock
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Musty-stanks suck. You don't need a spoiler like the STI's in a musty-stank, just open the window and let your mullet produce the downforce.

Awesome thread, one of the most informative and straight forward I've had the pleasure of reading! Thanks for all the input, I don't feel AS overwhelmed now.

Hello i'm new here and i was just looking to buy a 05 wrx sti and so far thats costing me 34,000 and i'm racking my mind but i'm really looking at this sti really bad and i'm almost willing to pay anything to get it but after looking at this i feel much better about geting this car. so when i enter in to the place and looking sharp and knowing what i want but how can i get a good price on this 05 wrx sti thats what i want to know, Thanks
    I have been to all the dealerships in my country and all of them said you whould look nice in this but those are posers theres only one car that calls me and THAT IS THE WRX STI IMPREZA

Even though im a noob on here i am the guy to talk to on this issue. Im the guy who sets up the contracts for dealers.
    1: First and foremost, READ YOUR CONTRACT! I dont mean skim it read it well. There are lots of things in there that will interest you later on after sale day..trust me.

2: Clean out your glove compartment. Wondering why i bet huh? When the dealer looks at your car and test drives it there not looking at the condition, there searching your car for check stubs, credit card statements and what you are paying on your cureent car if you owe on it still.

3: Want to stop a dealer in his tracks in the negotiating part? Ask him what his dealers reserve it. Ill explain. If the dealer gets you approved for say 5.9 apr all..not just some will add more to that for example they will come back and say mr. smith good news we got you approved for 8.5 apr. That extra 3.5 percent goes to the dealer they all do it and if any member on here that works at a dealer please dont disregard this as a lie. Your finance guy is doing. I work on 2500 accounts a month and have been doing that for years. They ALL do it.

4: Get the gap insurance. If you want to know what it is i can explain but trust me get it.

5: Dont let them talk you into a lease. You pay coming and going on a lease.

6: And whatever they offer you for your trade in dont settle for it. I can go into a scenario about this to that happens daily. Take a test drive of a car in one lot and go do your dealing at another so they dont take you for the test drive. If you go for the drive 90 percent of the time that car is going home with you. Feel free to ask me any questions. I have been working for a major car finance company for years and will answer anything for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinodaSTI View Post
    Hello i'm new here and i was just looking to buy a 05 wrx sti and so far thats costing me 34,000 and i'm racking my mind but i'm really looking at this sti really bad and i'm almost willing to pay anything to get it but after looking at this i feel much better about geting this car. so when i enter in to the place and looking sharp and knowing what i want but how can i get a good price on this 05 wrx sti thats what i want to know, Thanks
    Holy run-on sentence Batman .. punctuation and capitalization is your friend...

Great Ideas. I will remember this when it comes time to buy my WRX or STI. What would you do though if they only have one STI on the lot and it has everything you want? Won't they use that against you ??
    So I wanna buy an STI

I Drive an 1989 GMc S-15

Thumbs up

When buying my rex I went to a family friend working at a local dealership to him exactly what I wanted..04, Aspen White, SD, Manual, under 40k for under $20k. Waited about an hour for "his boss" to find one for me, 02, 03, black, silver blah blah blah . I eventually said **** it you cant give me what I want. Just happend to stop at the gas station down the road and picked up a car mag and flippin threw it found one 45 minutes away. went down the next day took a look.. 5mt, sd, white, 04, 31,500 for $18k ($5k under kbb). Just look around even if you have to drive an hour or two and set your standards before you go in. buy your car...dont let them sell you one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.