Purchasing Tips - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Purchasing Tips within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm going back and reading old posts, and I'm glad I'm buying now rather than before. I walked on one ...

I'm going back and reading old posts, and I'm glad I'm buying now rather than before. I walked on one dealership that was going to sell to me for 300 under invoice because they were being d*ckholes. I ended up going to another, telling them that I'd buy for invoice price, straight up. After telling me that the best they could do is split invoice and sticker, I left. They called 10 minutes later while I was driving home, 45min later I had the car at invoice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would qualify this as one of the top 3 threads I've ever read.

Also, how long did it take you from the moment you stepped on the lot to the moment you drove off?

MSRP?

Sht....Get you a lease if you really wanna get the shaft!

My car came with K-Y Jelly.

Remind me not to lease again...........Eva!

Shotgun
    (5yrs of remorse)

Re: WRX deal

Originally posted by gifty74
    I just bought my WRX last week, and paid about $2500 under invoice. The way it worked out was this: we traded in our Mitsu Galant, worth at the most $8000, and that is being generous. It was the last day of the month, luckily for me, and they were ready to deal this sedona red one they'd had there for a little while. Anyway, they gave me $10,500 for my trade, so I was $2500 to the good. Then, they gave me the car at invoice, $23000, and threw in the shift knob and armrest extension. So, I pretty much paid 20k for mine. I was pretty pumped on scoring that deal. Only problem is that is the car I drove the week before when they gave it to me for a half day. I hit some back roads and spanked it pretty good, hit redline a few times to be honest, with only about 120 miles on it. I know this is not good at all, but is there any data, or any experiences that have shown this to be problem causing? Don't you guys think a good majority of these WRXs are spanked by service employees getting them ready, and taking them off the trucks and stuff? Just wanted your opinions.

Steve G
    (Hi-Jack)
    Giftey,
    Dont feel alone, I too drove the sht outta the 03 I bought thinkin I would prolly not fall in love..<GG>

It had 70miles on it when I took it for the spin and 140miles when I got back and dropped the cash.

I am POSITIVE that some of the Salesman at my dealer have hammerd the one's on their lot,....I just hope I was the first to deflower my beech....LOL!.

Shotgun

Here's another fun way to mess with car salesmen...Use only if you HAVE to buy the car that day.

Tools involved:
    - Cell phone
    - Phone numbers of multiple Suby dealers

I HAD to buy my car the day I did, as my old Suby blew up the day before and I needed transportation. I walked into the dealer knowing I was going to buy the only blue wagon they had on the lot. Sticker was $25,910. I didn't check invoice.

After hearing the price, I told the closer I'd have to think about it. Walked outside, called another dealer and got a salesman on the phone. I told him what the first dealer had offered me and he chopped about $500 off. Went back to the first guy, told him about the other offer, he chopped another $500 off. Called back the second guy and he dropped it a bit more. Went back to the first salesman with that price.

I ended up getting the $25,910 sticker down to $24,100. Not bad for the first time buying a car on my own, but still about $400 over invoice.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

as a car salesman, this is disturbing. The only thing I wish people realized is that we get paid ONLY on commission. We (at least I) wont play games if the customer would just tell us what they want.
    You can see the invoice if you just ask for it.

Originally posted by Sherb
    I paid MSRP also and the only deal I had was the short shifter. I'm still waiting after a month for it. I bought the only REX available from the three dealers near me.

Sherb,

Where you at in Ky.?

Neil Huffman (Louisville) had a few last time I was in..........

Shotgun

Originally posted by Drew303
    as a car salesman, this is disturbing. The only thing I wish people realized is that we get paid ONLY on commission. We (at least I) wont play games if the customer would just tell us what they want.
    Disturbing as it may be, there is no reason for a well informed shopper to pay a ridiculous markup. I have been wrx shopping for months and I've noticed a distinct trend for certain dealerships to price gouge when they are the only one in the locality.

no, i wasnt saying that not paying sticker is disturbing. i think the post about "playing games with the car salesman" is whats disturbing. anybody will sell a WRX (not STi) for invoice, at least my dealership will.

no, i wasnt saying that not paying sticker is disturbing. i think the post about "playing games with the car salesman" is whats disturbing. anybody will sell a WRX (not STi) for invoice, at least my dealership will.

that is not true whatsoever, as seen in the example of the Evo which was marked up to nearly 60 grand when it first came out (29k now). Everyone plays games when buying a product, dealership and consumer alike. you mark it up ridiculously, we haggle it down. Everyone meets in the middle and reaches a consensus. I don't see any reason why the enthusiasts on this board shouldn't be armed with tools to protect themselves against unfair price gouging. (save themselves money for mods).

No offense intended, but I think this is invaluable information for people to read.

~Tim

I got mine over the internet. I told the internet sales manager what I wanted. He then emailed me my choices and we went from there. The only haggle I had with my car was my trade-in.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

I don't know if you are serious or not, but most dealers around here play BS games and lie like a rug. If a consumer around here even shows a sign of giving an inch they will get taken serious advantage of.

I was too relaxed when I bought mine and the salesman spouted some BS I didn't question... actually I did, then they spouted more BS and I didn't question that. So later I figure it out and when I confront them they say they have had issues with that salesman saying crap, but they have my money and signature so they don't care.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

best way to buy..imho

what we (my family) do is research on cars.com they usually have the best prices, then print the quote out, and then take it to a dealer.....can he beat it significantly or not is our usual question, then we plop the check down to show our seriousness....usually works, with this method, we have gotten my brother's honda civic with 20% off the mrsp....also i bought my car (the rex) on priceline.com (name your price) this was when there was so much demand for 'em (march 2002)....got a real good price....and no one else could touch them....but alas priceline.com doesnt have that feature anymore..just my .02.

OK.
    I think my mind is made up to get a WRX Wagon.

Are there any dealerships in Southern California to stay away from?

I live in Riverside, CA and work in Carlsbad...so there are dealers from my home to my work.

Thanks a bunch!

I got my WRX wagon from Roto in Arlington Heights also. Paid a flat $24k for it in Jan 02 (when WRXes were selling like free hotcakes). This is how I did it:

1. Called a bunch of dealerships - actually, almost a dozen dealerships in the chicago area. Got phone quotes from all of them. I was looking for a 5MT wagon, preferably blue or white. Played dealership against dealership (i.e. Dan Wolf has a wagon for $500 less than yours... can't you match them?) until two solid marks stood out. Roto had one for $25k or so with lots of BS options - armrest extension, compass, air filter, security system, cargo net, crossbar roof racks, etc. Another dealership had a no-options wagon for a little over $24k.

So I called Roto and asked them about the options. Can I get some of them removed, I asked? Dealer replied no, that would mean paying mechanics for labor and would actually cost me money (this is crap. How much labor does it take to remove a cargo net?). I bet at this point the salesman was grinning ear to ear. I then replied to him, "Well, Dealership X has the same car without options, and I could just get it there for just over $24k... I guess I'll have to buy it from them since you can't remove the options for me." Roto guy talks to the manager. Roto guy comes back and says.. "Okay... $24k. We'll leave all the options on."

All this business was conducted over the phone, too, while I was in Australia on vacation with my family. By the time I got back, my white WRX was waiting for me at the dealership
    2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.