Subaru WRX Forum banner

Looking at this 2004 WRX, need advice.

717 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I am looking to buy a wrx sometime between now and the end of June. I found a 2004 WRX with a 2.0l turbo. Has 267xxx km (roughly 166xxx miles) and here's the description
"04 wrx it's got a few things on it
Blow off valve
3inch catback
Lowered on coils
Boost and temp gauges
Sti wing
The windshield has a crack in it and it has some rust mainly surface rust but the door has a small hole in it so I'd recommend replacing the door and CEL is on due to an evap code I have a 6000$ receipt from previous owner for the motor being fixed it had a knock so he got the pistons replaced and headgasket also has a new clutch installed"

Sounds worth it or nah? He's asking 5500.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Knocking and had the pistons replaced.. knocking is spun bearing and requires an entire rebuild or new engine most times.

It's a lot of money for a basket case. I would avoid it personally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Having knock and having an engine knocking are two different things. If they just replaced pistons in the stock block I would move on. For the money they said they spent it better be a brand new factory shortblock. Anything aftermarket greatly kills the longevity of the engine and isn't want you want in a vehicle you want to drive daily.

If it was detonation and they spent 6k resolving it either they blew a piston, valve or some other fairly serious failure. You don't just replace pistons. This isn't a weed wacker.

Before you consider this you need to have an itemized list of the work done, and the shop who did the work. If there is anything listed besides a factory shortblock replacement, head work, and gaskets and such you could be in over your head quickly. Considering the blow off valve I would say the owner didn't do much research about what he owned.

#7 ·
In general detonation is called knocking, pinging, or pre ignition. However when someone says their engine is knocking it can mean any number of things. Without an itemized list of the work I can't assume what the issue was, but replace pistons would lead me to say ringland failure, and that can damage the bore.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.