Subaru WRX Forum banner

Should I buy the 2017 wrx or wait for the 2018 to come out

16K views 62 replies 15 participants last post by  Doctor Jeff 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone remember what month the 2017 wrx came out to the dealerships in the US? I'm deciding whether to just get the 2017 right now or wait a little longer to get the 2018.

#3 ·
I like the look myself, but chances are you won't be able to get a good deal on one until the fall, when dealers start looking at moving inventory.

I got mine in mid-September 2016, when there were quite a few available on the lots and they were anxious to make a sale.

#6 ·
might want to consider buying a 17 later when they are clearing the old inventory to make way for the 18. There could be some nice added savings there.
Of course There were a couple previous model year New cars I hoped to make a deal on when I was car shopping but the dealer just wouldn't offer up any more discount than the current model year.

#7 ·
When i went in it was in 2016 and i was looking for a 2015 to get a good deal on and there werent any 2015s anymore, and they didnt even have any 2016s they were just waiting for the first 17s. I dont know how your dealer might be but here in LA they dont give you any kind of discount on wrx/sti. They pretty much told me from the start. All 4 dealersd i checked out, did so within the first 15 minutes of being on their lot. They get shipments of them every week or two. The dealers here were sellijg them out in two ti three days. The only ones that lasted a week or two were the sti. And every time i would go to a dealer they had between 1 and 3 in stock. Not much to choose from .... although the last couple times ive taken mine in for service theres been quite a bit of them there. Probably around 7 or 8.
The 2017 model year might be the year to get because of the newrefresh they might aactually give better deals since some people are gonna wait for the 2018s. And whatever 17s they have in the lot when the 18s arrive should sell for lower

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Orders will start to become available sometime late spring. Cars should start arriving sometime around mid to late June. There are some significant changes that have been made that would definitely be worth the 6 month wait at this point, if you ask me. Prices wont be any different than they are now in terms of being able to get deals. I've never seen any Major dealership give good deals on the WRX/STi's because they can always move them super fast.

Check out this thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-state/134354181-clubwrx-new-car-buying-program-its-back.html

Clayton does good stuff and if you are willing to travel for a great price then it's worth the hassle. His prices are typically unbeatable. However, he is located out of NJ at Ramsey Subaru. If you are out of state shipment can be arranged for a reasonable price. Many members have purchased from him with no issues.

#12 ·
Does the 2018 come with a smart key? And maybe a better stock stereo system? Everything else is amazing with the car. If the 2018 had just those two things I'd wait. Otherwise everything else is very identical in terms of mechanical I hear.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#13 ·
"WRX for 2018
With its 268-hp, 2.0-liter direct injection turbocharged BOXER engine, Symmetrical All Wheel Drive and Active Torque Vectoring, the rally-bred WRX is a performance and value benchmark in the high-performance AWD sport-compact segment. The WRX comes standard with a 6-speed manual transmission and offers an optional performance automatic transmission, the Sport Lineartronic® CVT with manual mode.

The WRX features new front and rear suspension tuning for improved steering stability and ride comfort, while retaining the car’s high cornering performance capability. Subaru significantly enhanced shifter feel for the 6-speed manual transmission, with a new synchro design and reduced friction, along with smoother clutch take-up. The WRX electric power steering (EPS) was revised to provide an even smoother, more natural feel, while integrating the steering motor and electronic control unit reduces weight.

A new optional Performance Package for the WRX Premium features Recaro 8-way power seats, red-painted brake calipers and upgraded JURID brake pads, and deletes the moonroof to reduce weight. The standard 18-inch wheels feature a bold new double-spoke design."

"Improved Usability with a Sporting Edge
The everyday usability that has contributed to WRX and STI popularity gets even better for 2018. All models feature upgraded interior materials, rear seat armrest with cup holders, redesigned interior door grips and faster remote trunk opening.

New measures that reduce unwanted noise include thicker door glass, revised door sealing and a foam-filled windshield header beam. A new, larger high-definition multi-function display (5.9-inch vs. 4.3-inch before) makes it easier to see vehicle functions at a glance. WRX Limited models feature power driver’s seat lumbar adjustment. The standard WRX adds heated exterior mirrors (already standard on others), while the WRX Premium upgrades to a SUBARU STARLINK™ 7.0” multimedia unit from the previous STARLINK 6.2” unit."

#15 ·
How do I upgrade my 2017 to the faster remote trunk opening?
[emoji6]

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Once the 2018's are out in customer hands starting in June, all of us with 2017's will have our cars be worth even less than the usual "one model year's reduction" -- because the 2018's are new and desirable and have new and desirable features. And if one sells a 2017 versus a 2018 done the road say three to five years, the extra paid for the 2018 will be compensated for in its higher then average sale price.

So if 5150 (the OP) can afford the extra estimated $500 for the 2018, the question comes down to, does the OP personally like the 2018's looks more or less than the 2017's.

If I were 5150, and I love my 2017, I would wait for the 2018.

#45 ·
The 2018 will get the stereo HU from the Impreza, which as I understand is better and has Appleplay, Android, etc.

My "dealer" also said not to expect them in the showrooms til late 2017. He thought they wouldn't be priced much above the current year "because that's not Subaru's way of doing things."

#46 ·
True my 2017 WRX manual trans Ltd. has a few minor rattles, but it is so fun to drive. Both my wife and I love to take it on windy country roads. This winter it excelled in 7 snow storms, 3 freezing rain events. Great road trip car too.

Instead of my finding faults, and I admit there are a few, I am still relishing every ride in it. And my other car is a 2015 Z06 so I know fun cars. In fact, I love to piss off my Corvette friend by doing two things, first telling them that it is 98% as much to drive as our Corvettes, and second when they do not believe me, take them down my favorite curvy country road and scare the crap of them because they think we are going to spin out as I scream through the every curve.

I spent $400 on leather upgrades from Jason@Overland Designs upgrading its interior, another $400 for LED's from Will@Prolightz, installed Subie's complete spoiler package (25% off list), painted the calipers red, spent $175 on a matching-paint roof spoiler, and this car not only makes me happy to drive it, but also every time I look at it.

Wish I could add a 2018 WRX as its garage mate.

#47 ·
IF they quiet the thing down inside for not much more $$$ its worth waiting for the 18. I cant believe how loud this car is inside from just road/tire noise.

#51 ·
I don't find it that loud TBH. :dontknow:
I've been in much worse and I've been in better...I find it somewhere in the middle based on my experiences.
My in-laws 2012 Sonata for example...loudest car I've ever experienced on the highway. My brother's Civic...also much louder. That being said, I wouldn't mind if it were quieter. Our 2012 Jeep GC was VERY quiet. Obviously it's not a deal-breaker for those of us who bought it and still might complain.

#52 ·
I do not find my '17 WRX loud inside -- other than the tire whine of the crap stock Dunlops. There are sound deadening measures for under $200 that all of us can do for medium sound reduction.

I too got a louder exhaust but I do not hear cruising it down the interstate, running errands -- except when I want it to be louder at higher revs.

And YES, as per above and other places, the 2018 have several major sound deadening measures!

#57 ·
John, your comments about the OEM dunlops being crap, is that just the tire noise you are talking about? I agree they are NOISY, but they stick like glue even in temps under 30 deg which surprised me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.