Questions about buying.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions about buying. within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello all. I live in Utah where we have some gnarly winters. I currently own a Veloster Turbo so it's ...

Questions about buying.

Hello all. I live in Utah where we have some gnarly winters. I currently own a Veloster Turbo so it's a slow front wheel drive car, but I got a good deal on it. I'd really like to know some things to look out for when buying used. I know theres posts on here that I will read as well. I'd really like a WRX of the current body style. Something like a a 2015, but realistically I'm thinking I'd be with the 2011 through 2014 style. I'm 19, 20 in June here, so my insurance is going to charge me about $175. I'd like to keep payments around $300 a month. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. Things to look for as far as wear and tear, signs of hard driving, signs that the vehicle was highly modified, how reliable will a higher milage WRX would be, just general things that I'm sure is already on here. I appreciate your responses!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would stick with the Veloster and put winter tires on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

I Support ClubWRX
    You have powder snow; therefore, you don't have "gnarly" winters. See what wet lake-effect snow is like, and then you can use that term. That said...

If you're serious about a used WRX / STI, make sure you get a proper third-party inspection from a shop that's familiar with modified Subarus; these are notoriously modified, then parted-out and sold as "stock" when the owner is done with them. Make sure the inspection includes both compression / leakdown tests to tell the health of the motor. These tests aren't cheap ($300 or so, depending on labor rate), so work into the arrangement that the buyer will pay for the tests if it fails, otherwise it's your bill. If the owner has nothing to hide, then it shouldn't be a problem; if they're worried it may fail (at which point, you'd be looking at a new motor), they may deny that clause. I would not buy a used vehicle without that stipulation in there.

Honestly, if you're that young, just drive what you have until you have a better paying job and have more flexible income. I bought my STI when I was 20, and while I could afford it easily, there are things that I missed out on because of the car payment and increased insurance costs. Assuming you're not accomplishing a "bucket list" item, you'll have years ahead of you to have a fun car. Enjoy being a "kid" as long as you can.
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Daily
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno) - Toy

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.