Subaru WRX Forum banner

Advice on Buying A New WRX

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  laaayooola 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a 2017 wrx , and all my friends who have a subaru are telling me its not worth it because id be putting way more into the car (more than 26K) by the end of the year . (things like the Throw out bearing going to **** , the clutch going bad , and the labor to fix alot of the parts . My buddy has a shop that works specfically on subaru's but isn't willing to compromise on the price of the labor(FML) . I've considered other options , but nothing is in the price range thats a sporty 4 door sedan. Am i just paranoid about the problems within the first couple years of the car, and if problems occur will the warranty or insurance help pay for it ?

Thanks

JayWREX:woocow:

#2 ·
Well first off, it the car is new it will be under warranty sooooooo not sure why you would be paying for anything that fails due to manufacturing. If you are not building a race car and just going to drive it, you wouldn't be spending any more money then any other car you purchase.
sounds like your friend may have a little jealousy that they are not able to afford a new car.

As for insurance, you can just check around and see what the rate would be. It will be different for all people.

#3 ·
A) Buying a new car = warranty for things that break in the normal course of driving.

B) Not saying a person couldn't break stuff by driving too aggressively or just having "one of those cars" . . . but I've gone 31,000 miles plus with nothing done to this car other than routine maintenance such as oil changes.

C) Yes you are being paranoid . . . it's the "Bad News Travels Fast Internet Phenomenon" (or something like that -- there's probably a real name for this) . . . basically Joe has a problem with a the Thingamajig on his Subaru and he posts on a Subaru Internet site . . . Frank realizes he had the same issue and comments on it and then Stan thinks he may have the same problem based on some symptoms so they all post. Before you know it other folks are joining in and it seems like there is a serious design flaw that Subaru refuses to acknowledge. The reality is there may be some legitimate concern . . . but for every person who has an issue and comments on it on line there are many, many, many more who don't go on the site to say "Just wanted to say everything is running fine on my Subaru without any issues" . . .

===

#5 ·
This.

Also, remember that the demographic for our cars is extremely internet savvy.

In other words, the corvette, mustang, jaguar F type, m3, etc may have a lot more issues, but their buyers general demographics mean there aren't nearly as many bitch on the internet types as there are with wrx owners where everyone is a reddit/nasioc/clubwrx/facebook group member. I work for a subaru dealer, and very very very seldom do I see a car back in for warranty work in the first few years. Even with all my WRX sales (thousands at this point), I could count the number of legit issues on sub 3 yr old cars on one hand. I think these stories are GREATLY exaggerated. Even if they weren't, you have a full warranty for all that, and you could even buy a 7 year 100k bumper to bumper for a relatively low cost.

#6 ·
Something I forgot to add is that for me having a reliable car is pretty darned important . . . I mean to say I love a fun car and one that looks decent, but having a car that is reliable and not a money pit is high on my list since I have other interests, hobbies . . . and bills.

I saw some of the same reports on the internet that your friends did about certain issues popping up . . . but I also realized that if you go to any other car specific internet site (HappyHonda.com, TrusthworthyToyota.com, etc.) and you'll most likely see on those sites that those makes/models also will have apparent issues which would lead a person to think there are design flaws.

I do a lot of research before buying things -- it drives my wife crazy since I will spend days before buying a toaster oven or fryolator. As a result I did a lot of research before opting to go with the WRX because in the end it seemed to me that Subaru still makes a decent and reliable car.

#12 ·
Buy whatever car you want. You'll always regret it if you let someone else convince you not to buy a car you want. Also your friends are retarded.

Classes would be nice if you find a good deal. Sadly, there really isn't any options for learning manual in most places. It should be fine to learn on the wrx.

#13 ·
Typically they will cover one clutch with little or no issues. But if you need a second one, it gets difficult to get them to cover it since if you go through 2 there is a 90% chance of driver error.

#15 ·
The best advice I can give is research before you buy the car. It's far too often that people buy a WRX, then complain that it doesn't do well in the snow (Needs snow tires), or that it isn't fast, or how they want to get it to make " woosh" noises.

A little research now will help you decide if the car right for you

#18 ·
Bring it to the dealer, at least to get it noted in the system in case it gives you serious trouble later on.

#17 ·
You got that right. I've only had my car for a few days so far. I was sitting in uphill traffic stop and go when I got lazy and didn't slide the clutch and son-of-a-gun, I didn't roll back! No stress now except for maybe a stall if you get lazy on the gas to get moving.

As you learn to drive a manual- learn to rev-match your downshifts. Driving is magical after that.

#19 ·
Something that's helped me in the past is trying to look for reasons to drive the car for more practice. Whether it's to the grocery store, gym, cruising to blow off some steam, etc. Don't be intimidated! Play with the clutch and get used to the new car's personal sensitivity/catching point. Remember the ole' saying...practice makes perfect! Good luck to you, bro!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.