Hawkeye vs Widebody Hatch
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hawkeye vs Widebody Hatch within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Right now I am currently obsessing over WRX's! I'm debating between purchasing an '06-'07 Hawkeye sedan in dark grey or ...

Hawkeye vs Widebody Hatch

Right now I am currently obsessing over WRX's! I'm debating between purchasing an '06-'07 Hawkeye sedan in dark grey or white, or an '11-'13 dark grey hatch back (not looking for an STI due to insurance costs). I don't believe I'll be modding anything more than bolt ons. I am really only making this post to see opinions about the quality of the two styles and what would be a smart purchase. This will be a DD, and I am willing to spend $15-$21k.

I know there is an aluminum to steel control arm switch between '06 and '07 which doesn't really bother me. I also read that the third gens all have a plastic manifold, and I'm not sure how much this should concern me.

Are there any glaring technical differences that should worry me between a generational or yearly change? Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by Whitebomb; 07-08-2015 at 04:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebomb View Post
    Right now I am currently obsessing over WRX's! I'm debating between purchasing an '06-'07 Hawkeye sedan in dark grey or white, or an '11-'13 dark grey hatch back (not look for an STI due to insurance costs). I don't believe I'll be modding anything more than bolt ons. I am really only making this post to see opinions about the quality of the two styles and what would be a smart purchase. This will be a DD, and I am willing to spend $15-$21k.

I know there is an aluminum to steel control arm switch between '06 and '07 which doesn't really bother me. I also read that the third gens all have a plastic manifold, and I'm not sure how much this should concern me.

Are there any glaring technics differences that should worry me between an generational or year changes? Thanks in advance for any input.
    more reason to upgrade it!
    stinkeye member #976

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy the newest, lowest milage, as close to stock as possible car you can afford.

Both generations would be a good purchase. You just need to make sure you get one that hasn't been previously modified.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    My "Build" Thread!

2015 VW GTI

2006 WRX TR - SOLD
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I'll go with the hatch since it's newer, lower mileage and might it still have it's warranty. I also personally like the look of the stinkeye hatch over the hawkeye plus "that widebody tho."

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Right now I am currently obsessing over WRX's! I'm debating between purchasing an '06-'07 Hawkeye sedan in dark grey or white, or an '11-'13 dark grey hatch back (not looking for an STI due to insurance costs). I don't believe I'll be modding anything more than bolt ons. I am really only making this post to see opinions about the quality of the two styles and what would be a smart purchase. This will be a DD, and I am willing to spend $15-$21k..
    Just an FYR: WRX and STi insurance costs are generally the same. Test drive both and purchase whatever you prefer. Since you get a much higher output with the 2009+, that should be a consideration. The 2002-2007 are much less comfortable and more raw, while the 2009+ are very capable with an improved chassis and multilink suspension.

Fundamentally, though, you're comparing a 2011+ hatch (which go for $20K to $30K) to a 2006-2007 (which go for $10K to $15K). There's a double in price.
    I know there is an aluminum to steel control arm switch between '06 and '07 which doesn't really bother me
    This is a big difference and honestly a MASSIVE improvement. Remember that the brakes are also better for the 2006-2007 compared to the 2008+ WRX.

I also read that the third gens all have a plastic manifold, and I'm not sure how much this should concern me.
    It should not concern you whatsoever. The plastic manifold purportedly outflows the metal manifold and has significantly improved heat rejection properties. The TMIC piping is a bit more efficient as well, but the BPV is incapable of holding the pressure that the prior EJ255 (2006-2007), so that will need to be replaced even at stage 2 power levels.

Engine differences:
    2006-2007 EJ255: TD04-13T turbo, sodium-filled exhaust valves, standard crankshaft, traditional intake routing (aluminum manifold)
    2008 EJ255: TD04-19T turbo, no sodium valves, standard crankshaft, LGT intake routing (plastic manifold)
    2009-2011 EJ255: VF52 turbo, no sodium valves, nitrided crankshaft, LGT intake routing (plastic manifold)
    2012-2014 EJ255: VF52 turbo, no sodium valves, heat-treated crankshaft, LGT intake routing (plastic manifold)

All heads are dubbed D25 from 2006 through 2014 on the EJ255.
    EJ255 in 2004 FXT and LGT in 2005 are EJ257 shortblock with B25 heads and smaller turbo/different ECU
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.