2016 WRX, STI, or Focus RS
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2016 WRX, STI, or Focus RS within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Earlier this month, I was in an accident where my 2007 Subaru Impreza (standard) got totaled. The other party cut ...

2016 WRX, STI, or Focus RS

Earlier this month, I was in an accident where my 2007 Subaru Impreza (standard) got totaled. The other party cut me a check ($10500 ish), and I'm currently borrowing a relative's 2004 Camry. I'm not in a hurry to get a new car, as I intend to keep it for 10 years. But it seems like all the above cars have some short comings.

WRX: FA engine makes it very fuel efficient. Lacks overall power compared to STI. I'd get the Premium trim, which is a lot cheaper than either the STI/RS.
    STI: By today's standards, ancient EJ engine with terrible fuel economy for the power/weight (Yes, I care about fuel economy to a certain point). Flamboyant rear spoilers (unless you pay up for the limited edition @ 40K to remove them). However... I love the stiff chassis... AND .... it's an STI!
    Focus RS: It's a hatchback (big plus)! I expect the 2.3L ecoboost to best the STI on most fronts. Otherwise, not much information on it. Also a big potential downside is resale value. I've been looking at the Focus ST, and its resale gets dinged hard compared to a WRX.

I've been really leaning towards the Focus RS (pending full specs/more reviews), but resale value is a big one for me. If I bought a Ford Focus instead of an Impreza in 2007, I'd be sitting at $4K less... which is quite significant. KBB isn't 100% accurate (they said my Impreza is worth $8K) nor does it have the Focus RS. However, based off the the depreciation of a 2013 Focus ST vs 2013 WRX, it's about a 70% vs 90% new value difference, which is huge.

If the STI had a new engine, I would definitely go for that. Right now, getting a WRX seems to make the most economical sense, but I think I would always have that nagging feeling about getting the lower trim every time I see a STI.

Thoughts? Should I just wait another year?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you want a Focus RS, you'll have to wait another year anyway.

Remember the "2016 Focus RS" was the world car, it's a 2017 model here. The rest of the world calls the MY by the actual year of production.

You'll have to drive each and decide for yourself.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting... I didn't realize the 2016 RS wouldn't hit until FY 2016.

I'm sure Subaru would keep the STI engine refresh a secret (else the Osborne effect), but does anyone know what the chances are that the EJ will be replaced in the 2017 model? Other than that, it would seem that an engine refresh only happens with a redesigned chassis, which is still a few years off.

That said, I remember a few months back, I tried to test drive a 2015 WRX or STI, and they were literally selling out. Yes... pretty sad I couldn't even test drive them.

most dealerships will let you drive their WRX, that is if you put a deposit down. After you drive it, just say never mind and take your deposit back.

On the other hand, if you just walk in and say you were interested in the vehicle and try to drive it, they wont take you seriously and wont let you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwako View Post
    most dealerships will let you drive their WRX, that is if you put a deposit down. After you drive it, just say never mind and take your deposit back.

On the other hand, if you just walk in and say you were interested in the vehicle and try to drive it, they wont take you seriously and wont let you drive it.
    I'm not really sure I understand that mindset. I did actually go to a dealer which is smaller to go look at a WRX, and did get denied a test drive...
    So if i go in and show an interest in the car I get denied a test drive......... I have to go in an leave a deposit in order to see if I like the car? Just imagine if that was the case for all cars, I'd be leaving deposits all over town.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dexvx View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Interesting... I didn't realize the 2016 RS wouldn't hit until FY 2016.
    Because it's not a MY2016 car for the USA -- it's MY2017
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

well, there are some dealerships that just flat out wont let you drive the car until you actually sign the bill of sale. However, Ive encountered quite a few dealerships that will let you drive it if you just put a deposit down. Just from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Because it's not a MY2016 car for the USA -- it's MY2017
    Agreed with you

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.