Subaru WRX Forum banner

Should I buy wheel/tire insurance and the service plan?

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  EJ257 
#1 ·
Just got 2015 wrx

1) Wheel and tire coverage. Dent and door ding protection. Key replacement. $995.00 for 5 years

2)3 Year service plan (total of 6 oil changes, 2yr/24k mile service, 3yr/36k mile service)=$1375.001

should I get these add-ons or would it be less expensive to just have the car serviced and/or repaired at a local shop? Thanks

#3 ·
You could get new rims and tire for like $1400-1600.
A large number of members service their own cars.
$1375 is pretty high considering the services.
A just got a service reminder.
It says the service is $340 will take 2 hours and they change the oil.
Rotate tires check alignment, fuel conditioner and battery check.
All of which I did at my buddies shop (They are a credited ASE service shop)
And he changed my $25 with a coupon that he game me.

#4 ·
Ya know, I got the extended warranty and tires and rims plans. 2280 up to 6 yrs or 80,000 miles back of my warranty said " I got 90 days for full refunds "(tires and rims) and the same with warranty but 10% less each month. Been 3 weeks now sine I got my wrx

I'm still trying to figure out do I really want them...........

Don't mind some opinions anybody. ....

#7 ·
Ask yourself a few questions, how often do I curb the heck out of my wheels, how often do I not pay enough attention to avoid pot holes.

Honestly the chances you destroy a wheel are low unless you completely don't pay any attention to driving.

#9 ·
the only thing worth it is maybe the extended warranty for the drive-train... or engine... idk... just to be safe...

we only have the 36k mile warranty that came with the new car... after that i could care less...

listen to what the others are saying though, they're far brighter and better looking than me... ;)

#11 ·
probably not going to go with either. I did the math for the maintenance plan and assuming oil changes will cost me 80 each, 2yr service is 250, and 3 yr service is 500, I would still be spending more money on the maintenance plan (and these are all probably overestimations of what auto shops will charge).

#16 ·
#1...

Stock tires aren't great. Stock wheels are cheap used. I wouldn't spend the money on a factory warranty for these things. A warranty on aftermarket wheels or tires, maybe, but overall, I think it's a waste.

Dent/door ding would be PDR coverage. PDR service is cheap. Not worth it.

Key replacement...meh. I don't know how much they keys cost, but you get multiple, and how often do you plan on breaking/losing them?

#2...

I pay $35-40 per oil change in supplies, and I spend "an hour" doing it. The duration of my oil changes is increased because of my Fumoto valve, and because I wait until it's drained completely, while I make a sandwich, enjoy it, drink a few beers, etc. If you don't already have equipment for DIY oil changes, you're looking at a one-time cost of $75-100 for ramps, an oil drain pan, a socket set, and a used oil container. You can get away without the used oil container (pour into the oil containers you use to fill), but I like having a few oil changes worth of container so I don't have to stop every single time to dispose of it and for $5 it's worth it.

30K is the only "major" service in the plan, and is not a difficult DIY. Fluid/filter will run you less than $150, and the supplies you bought for oil changes should allow you to take care of this service without further expense.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.