Need help pricing 2011 WRX sedan with 28K miles
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need help pricing 2011 WRX sedan with 28K miles within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I hate to do it but I'm seriously considering selling my WRX to get rid of my payments. It's a ...

Need help pricing 2011 WRX sedan with 28K miles

I hate to do it but I'm seriously considering selling my WRX to get rid of my payments. It's a 2011 DGM Premium 4-door, I'm the original owner, and it's bone stock (always has been). Only options it has are the all weather floormats (still have the original floormats in their package) and the auto dimming mirror. It has right around 28K miles and has new tires with about 1500 miles on them (Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports).

Since it has a lien on it through Subaru I took it to the dealer first to see what they offered me. It wasn't a terrible offer but not great either. Depending on who you believe (KBB or NADA) the book value is between $23,800 and $24,600 depending on whether it's considered very good or excellent. I guess my question is what is a realistic number to expect to sell it for? I just want to make sure it's worth dealing with paying off the lien versus just selling it to Subaru without the hassle.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm trivializing/generalizing this a bit, but there are three popular "what's XX car worth?" sources...
    KBB: Seller-biased
    Edmunds: Buyer-biased
    NADA: Realistic

Ask for KBB, settle for NADA. My Credit Union (and many others) will not give a vehicle loan out for anything above NADA.
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-08-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by skywelker View Post
    I hate to do it but I'm seriously considering selling my WRX to get rid of my payments. It's a 2011 DGM Premium 4-door, I'm the original owner, and it's bone stock (always has been). Only options it has are the all weather floormats (still have the original floormats in their package) and the auto dimming mirror. It has right around 28K miles and has new tires with about 1500 miles on them (Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports).

Since it has a lien on it through Subaru I took it to the dealer first to see what they offered me. It wasn't a terrible offer but not great either. Depending on who you believe (KBB or NADA) the book value is between $23,800 and $24,600 depending on whether it's considered very good or excellent. I guess my question is what is a realistic number to expect to sell it for? I just want to make sure it's worth dealing with paying off the lien versus just selling it to Subaru without the hassle.

Thanks in advance!
    The fact that is stock and had always been works in your favor. Unmodified WRXs are sought after. Milage is relativity low which is also good.
    What's working against you is the fact that it's an '11 4-door. Most people seeking that body style prefer the '12-'14 widebody style, also since there isn't a hatch available for the '15s, the hatch is more desirable. So your numbers look good, but you might wait a while for the perfect private sale to come along.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514
    The fact that is stock and had always been works in your favor. Unmodified WRXs are sought after. Milage is relativity low which is also good.
    What's working against you is the fact that it's an '11 4-door. Most people seeking that body style prefer the '12-'14 widebody style, also since there isn't a hatch available for the '15s, the hatch is more desirable. So your numbers look good, but you might wait a while for the perfect private sale to come along.
    Compare trade-in offers to private sale offers; consider the taxes you'd pay, and take whichever is better.

Generally, trade-in is a convenience that you pay for. Dealerships have to try to flip your car; a Subaru dealership isn't always the best bet because they may have more used inventory than another brand. Also, consider that dealerships have access to cars at auction, where they are generally cheaper. I've been quoted VERY low on my car at dealerships because they can pick up STIs at auction for significantly less than KBB and flip them for more profit.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'm trivializing/generalizing this a bit, but there are three popular "what's XX car worth?" sources...
    KBB: Seller-biased
    Edmunds: Buyer-biased
    NADA: Realistic

Ask for KBB, settle for NADA. My Credit Union (and many others) will not give a vehicle loan out for anything above NADA.
    Thanks, that is actually very helpful. Seems like things were all over the place but I guess it's all relative to where they are getting their info.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Actually the 2011 was the first year of the widebody in that style. Not sure what the other differences are versus the '12-'14 but visually they look the same. And I know what you mean about stock ones being hard to find. Back when I bought itI really wanted a used one but couldn't find anything that wasn't modded.

you are right

Count that as one more thing in your favor

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    you are right

Count that as one more thing in your favor

Haha, you had me worried for a minute there!

I Support ClubWRX
    I would research in your area and see what the prices are around. Look on Craigslist and Auto trader. Consider the dealership prices to be slightly on the high side. EJ257's advice is spot on with KBB and NADA. Reasonably, in the national market I would say a reasonable price would be anywhere between $22,000 and $24,500 all depending on the scenario and what the current buyer (market) is willing to pay. Your super low mileage, single ownership record and the fact that it has never been modded definitely plays heavily in your favor to a knowledgable buyer. In the end, if you sell it yourself you will have way too many people making bull**** offers. That's just the nature of the business. Everyone is trying to save a buck. But you'll get one in a few interested parties that will know what the car is worth, that you know what the car is worth and most importantly, the satisfaction that your car truly is an A+ car in the ways of used WRX's.

All in all, research is your best friend. Obviously, when selling you want to list a little high. For a car like yours, I would try to list $1,000 to $1,500 above the price in which you would be willing to settle with to start. That is, only if you are really willing to not sell it right away. If you want to be able to sell it in the shortest time possible, then your bar needs to be lowered and you need to price it for at or under the going rate, but more than what the dealership was willing to offer you.

EDIT: The hatch is way more desirable than the sedan right now. This means that you may be more successful to get a slightly higher price than what NADA might appraise. The hatch is a huge bonus to the current market seeking these cars. Especially since it's no longer in production.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Thanks, that is good advice. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many in my area, but opening the search nationwide would help give me a good idea of where to start.

I did not realize the hatch was in such demand right now. If I remember correctly one of the reasons I bought a sedan back in '11 was that it looked like a 4 door version of the '09-'10 STi (I think they were only available as hatches in '09-'10?), whereas the '11 hatch just looked like an '09-'10 STi. Thought it was kind of cool to have something different looking (at the time at least). Oh well hopefully it doesn't end up costing me in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I would research in your area and see what the prices are around. Look on Craigslist and Auto trader. Consider the dealership prices to be slightly on the high side. EJ257's advice is spot on with KBB and NADA. Reasonably, in the national market I would say a reasonable price would be anywhere between $22,000 and $24,500 all depending on the scenario and what the current buyer (market) is willing to pay. Your super low mileage, single ownership record and the fact that it has never been modded definitely plays heavily in your favor to a knowledgable buyer. In the end, if you sell it yourself you will have way too many people making bull**** offers. That's just the nature of the business. Everyone is trying to save a buck. But you'll get one in a few interested parties that will know what the car is worth, that you know what the car is worth and most importantly, the satisfaction that your car truly is an A+ car in the ways of used WRX's.

All in all, research is your best friend. Obviously, when selling you want to list a little high. For a car like yours, I would try to list $1,000 to $1,500 above the price in which you would be willing to settle with to start. That is, only if you are really willing to not sell it right away. If you want to be able to sell it in the shortest time possible, then your bar needs to be lowered and you need to price it for at or under the going rate, but more than what the dealership was willing to offer you.

EDIT: The hatch is way more desirable than the sedan right now. This means that you may be more successful to get a slightly higher price than what NADA might appraise. The hatch is a huge bonus to the current market seeking these cars. Especially since it's no longer in production.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.