Subaru WRX Forum banner

On resale, does limited have a significant price bump over a base?

• Yes, big diff on selling price used between limited and base

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No real difference in price, its just condition baby

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • selling the car? who does that?

Votes: 9 45.0%

What trim level to buy.. 2015 resale value

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Koogs 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm new here, been lurking for a while thinking about my next car purchase. Currently drive a 2012 Mustang GT and am looking to get into a sedan with better handling.
In my looking at used WRX's I really couldn't find what I'm looking for at a good price, unmolested example, low-ish miles for a good discount from new, so I'm thinking new at this point.

My question really is do the options really have much resale value at all? It seems, in looking at the prices in used ones, they are all over the place and all high. Are you getting much difference in value between say a base or a limited on a 3 year old car?

Why am I asking? well, I'm cheap and honestly am looking to keep my depreciation on the car relatively low. using this to justify the new car vs. getting an older $10K car. And I want to understand whether I'm really going to get much back on stepping up to limited. Yes its nicer, and yes I'd like it, but the price difference is substantial, and if I'm basically going to get a very similar price on the sale between base and limited, I'm really considering the base.

primarily the plus on the limited for me is the lights, and I feel the leather does dress up the interior. I do like the fogs, spoiler, and roof as well, but I'm kind of feeling the premium as a compromise, leaves out my most coveted bits.

I've also considered the STI base as an alternative, but I'm a bit afraid I'm spending more than I want and honestly that it will be too harsh a ride for me as a DD.

Any thoughts anyone?

See less See more
#2 ·
if you wanna be cheap and save the most money just buy a base model wrx... especially if you plan to resell it back after a little while...

keep the car completely stock and follow the maintenance religiously... don't even de-badge it... a perfectly clean and stock wrx will hold a lot of weight when you're trying to sell, especially to a private party...

furthermore a base wrx has better fuel efficiency than an sti and also has less "gadgets" to be fixed and maintained...

now when I got my car with my dad we plan to keep it for easily 200k+ miles so we got a limited model (love those creature comforts) and some other stuff put on it...

you say you like the lights but is it really that much of a deal breaker?

you're buying a new car... so get a base wrx and leave it alone... you will be very happy with your choice in the long run and it will be much easier to sell in the future...

good luck! :D

#3 ·
I went through the same thing when I bought my 2013.
Having the moonroof and the heated seats are a must for me.
Leather seats aren't important to me either.
As far as the navigation system, I just use my phone through the Bluetooth connection.
The stero is not great in general, so I like many members build my own system.
The options do affect the resale minimally. Most people mainly care about mods and miles, as opposed to options. In summary I would get the premium, and the clear bra.

On the other side of the coin.
Had I known I would spend considerable time and money moding my car.
I would have got an STI to start with.
So it will mainy come down to your needs, and overall goals.
Doing research and talking to members is a great way to get a feel on things.

#4 ·
Honestly, unless you plan on racing then the STi is a bit overkill for a DD, unless you do a lot of highway, then I see how it could be fun :thumbup: I do a lot of city driving, so the WRX is stiff enough for me and has a very nice powerband for city driving. I have a 2015 base model in DGM with the short shifter, foot well red illumination, and extendable armrest, and honestly I couldn't be happier with my choice. I never get the more expensive packages, and this is because I don't need them. I hate leather seats, not a fan of moon roofs, and prefer a simple interior in general. You could just get the fogs as an add on, hell, you could get quite a few add ons and you still wouldn't hit the price difference between a base and a limited, but that's if you're like me and are willing to trade luxuries for a more enhanced driving experience. Resale value will probably be the same, more luxurious trims actually tend to take more of a hit in resale, but then again these are Subarus, so resale should be solid either way.
Inside pic just for reference on how the footwell illumination looks if anyone is curious!
Red Speedometer Automotive lighting Light Auto part

#6 · (Edited)
I do like some of the niceties. However for the past 3 years I've had a base mustang gt so I can deal obviously. However I did feel like the mustang interior was a bit too cheap. STI is def overkill.... But slmetimes overkill is nice. I just don't want to feel it is too harsh.

I am definitely feeling the base makes the most financial sense...I have to get to a dealer and test drive

I definitely not planning on significant modding. Some of it is fun, but I don't have the time or disposable income. A little tinting, a **** knob, maybe a catback, that's it

#8 ·
Yeah I mean sometimes overkill is nice, but the ride quality will be harsh, you have to decide whether you'll be able to put up with the harshness on your commute since you most likely won't be able to test drive one, I went to 5 dealers before ordering mine and none of them even had a WRX on the lot let alone one that I could test drive. My ST had a similar issue...the interior was so bad, it was cheap and claustrophobic, I love the WRX interior, it almost remind me of my RX8. The base I think makes the most sense financially, which is why I never get higher than a base model car.

#10 ·
The lighting does still look pretty cool. it's a nice perk with having a dark interior combined with a lot of night time driving.

Model levels are a tough call depending on what anyone wants out of the car. I look at the bones, a base model is still the same car as a limited, no matter what the brand is. I like to buy base and customize. Upgrading headlights, fog lights, wheels, stereo, whatever, can often be done cheaper by going aftermarket. I believe that the cost of buying fully loaded from the dealer is not linear to the price we see years later when it's time to sell or trade.

#11 ·
i may be wrong but isn't it more "cost effective" in the long run to just buy the car with the options you want and just leave it alone by itself? like subaru can build a limited wrx probably cheaper than a person can right? if i'm incorrect i'm sowwy... :p

just typed that with one hand lol

#12 ·
Hmm depends really, I mean between the limited and base there's about a $4k price gap, more if you choose the navi and push button start. If you can live without the leather and moon roof, then an upgraded stereo, speakers, fog lights, STS, LED glow from factory, and many other options can all be had for well under $4k. To me it's better to get a base and work your way up. Plus with a base, if you're ever ready to sell you can put factory parts back in and sell the aftermarket parts separately, so it's a very win win situation.

#13 ·
ok fair enough...

yea I agree that a base is probably the best if you plan to do little builds here and there... I meant more for a creature comfort point of view...

like I got the limited specifically for the fog lights, heated seats, and sunroof... everything else was just a plus... didn't come with navigation or a back-up camera unfortunately but whatever...

#14 ·
Just went to a dealer to look. Was denied test drivIng... Kind of annoyed. Apparently the wrx is a "limited production" car only a few thousand a year. BS. Are other dealers test driving? I'm not a punk kid.

I was granted access to a premium and a limited. Premium seemed nice, not super fond of the seats. Limited looked great.

Only complaint is the screen on the non-Nav cars is tiny. Really behind the times. I see the threads mentioning rumors that this will change in 2016. Hopefully that is the case.

#17 ·
Yeah, I'm not buying the car until I can test drive 1. So I will definitely go to another dealer or 2 in the area to check it out. If that doesn't work, I will take some time and make the trek to NJ to Clayton's dealer rexxx0486, since I'd imagine they are more reasonable on this sort of thing. I don't want to beat the piss out of it on the test drive, I just want to know what I'm getting and make an educated decision.

I do have time, I'm looking to see what changes are officially announced for 2016, and hoping to see a minor promotion at work.
I know its blasphemous, but I'm also going to check out the GTI. I'm predisposed to like the GTI, its a hatch, high quality interior, 10 best car since the beginning of time, however, have definitely gotten some major negative words from my mechanic (who I trust) surrounding the VW brand relating to durability, reliability etc.

#18 ·
So I had a few thoughts. I did an analysis on cost of ownership of the various trim levels and other options.
A lot of this obviously hinges on resale value. So I'm going to throw out a few values for trim levels and I would like a few comments
Assume a 3 year old car with 36K on the clock, completely stock so the equivalent today is a 2012 sedan with 36K

STI - $24K
Limited - $20.5K
premium-$19.5K
Base - $18.5K

anyone agree? disagree?

#22 ·
Hmm I don't know about this...with any other car I would say your numbers would be very accurate, but these cars are different from my experience. For example, about a year ago my buddy got a 2009 WRX with 56k miles for about $20k, and that was the absolute best deal he could find. Oh and in my area, 2012 STIs constantly sell for around $28-30k, and you can't get a 2013 or 2014 WRX for less than $25k, unless it has ridiculously high mileage. I don't think trim levels matter really, I think it depends more on where you live.

#20 · (Edited)
I'm leaning significantly towards the STI base.

However, have not actually been in one, or sold my wife on it yet..

Havin looked at a premium and a limited, I do like the leather look on the interior and the LEDs. It isn't that much more than a premium.
However, the real value play is the base WRX. Great resale value and lowest cost.

On the STI front, It just seems that with the strong resale value on a base STI it really doesn't cost much more than a limited over the holding period of the car. Realistically you get almost all of the price diff between the limited and the STI back, primarily due to the lower residual of the limited.

Fwiw, this will be 100% daily driver and will have a car seat. On the other hand, I want something "special" and for it to feel that way when driving it. I'm most recently coming from a 2012 mustang gt, fast but not "special",and prior to that a long term relationship with an MR2, huge grins.

My "issues" with the STI are can I live with the suspension (haven't tested it). And can I deal with the BFW? On one hand it's ridiculous, on the other, it doesn't look completely out of place, and is part of the STI experience. My 6 years with the mr2 had me embracing ridicule, so why not now?

I feel like id hate to buy the wrx and feel like I should have just sucked it up and gotten the STI.
In case you guys didn't figure it out, I overanalyze everything I do, and as an accountant the numbers side definitely gets a closer look than it probably should

#21 ·
i mean it sounds like you HAVE the money for a fully loaded STI limited...

but it also sounds like you're a smart guy and will go for a base wrx...specifically for the resale value...

all personal preference really... but if i were in your shoes... i would get the STI limited and just enjoy the car for what it is... and not worry too much about resale value...

ask yourself this... is being able to enjoy something at a 100% level worth an extra one or two grand?

money wasn't an issue for me (wrx limited vs sti limited) so i was obviously very lucky with getting a wrx limited model... sunroof and heated seats and a nice wing really made me smile... :D

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.