A little bit about me . . .
I'm 44 and while my wife would say I am anything but logical the one thing I do tend to do is analyze and research purchases nine ways to Sunday before pulling the trigger and so I keep pouring over the numbers and looking at all aspects of this whole buying a WRX deal.
I sent out requests to the various dealers here in Maine asking for their best price on a base model WRX with as few (if any) options along with the OTD price . . . and whether the car is in stock or needs to be ordered.
Not surprisingly, most dealers came back to say the car would need to be ordered. A few said that they have a car coming later this month or may be able to make a "folder swap" (sounds like a dealer swap to me?)
Prices seemed decent . . . based on the numbers from True Car, Edmunds, etc. most were below invoice on the price ($24,799-$25,499) and it became obvious that some used other fees to pad the OTD price but the figures still seem decent enough ($26,636-$27,242).
So here is my question of the day (well second question of the day since I already posted another question earlier.)
Which in your opinion is the better deal here?
Dealer A: Best overall price and OTD price at $26,636 who as an added bonus says he thinks he can make a folder swap and have a car in by the end of the month.
Dealer B (Well B and C really): Second and third lowest prices (about $200 more than the lowest OTD price) and as an added bonus I have worked with these dealers before as they are local dealers. The car would have to be ordered.
Dealer C: Asking $345 more than the best price and are unwilling to budge on the price, but they counter by saying that the $26,981 OTD price also includes a life time warranty on the car (offered through a third party, maintenance must be done and documented -- but does not need to be done at this dealership). Car would have to be ordered.
I do like a good deal . . . and if Dealer A was able to get a car in that much sooner so much the better. I am willing to wait for a vehicle, but at the same time who wouldn't want to be driving a new car that much sooner?
On the other hand, the two local dealers have treated me decently in the past and I suspect might be willing to go a little bit lower on the price . . . but the flip side would be a bit more of a wait.
And then there is that one dealer with a tantalizing lifetime, unlimited mile warranty. Having had my wife's 2003 Legacy Outback develop the infamous head gasket issue at around 100K I am always a bit leery of Subarus . . . but I also question as to how useful that third party warranty would be if push came to shove.
Your thoughts on any of this?