RE: Lower price . .. or higher price with longer warranty?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on RE: Lower price . .. or higher price with longer warranty? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; A little bit about me . . . I'm 44 and while my wife would say I am anything but ...

Registered User Firefighterjake's Avatar

RE: Lower price . .. or higher price with longer warranty?

A little bit about me . . .

I'm 44 and while my wife would say I am anything but logical the one thing I do tend to do is analyze and research purchases nine ways to Sunday before pulling the trigger and so I keep pouring over the numbers and looking at all aspects of this whole buying a WRX deal.

I sent out requests to the various dealers here in Maine asking for their best price on a base model WRX with as few (if any) options along with the OTD price . . . and whether the car is in stock or needs to be ordered.

Not surprisingly, most dealers came back to say the car would need to be ordered. A few said that they have a car coming later this month or may be able to make a "folder swap" (sounds like a dealer swap to me?)

Prices seemed decent . . . based on the numbers from True Car, Edmunds, etc. most were below invoice on the price ($24,799-$25,499) and it became obvious that some used other fees to pad the OTD price but the figures still seem decent enough ($26,636-$27,242).

So here is my question of the day (well second question of the day since I already posted another question earlier.)

Which in your opinion is the better deal here?

Dealer A: Best overall price and OTD price at $26,636 who as an added bonus says he thinks he can make a folder swap and have a car in by the end of the month.

Dealer B (Well B and C really): Second and third lowest prices (about $200 more than the lowest OTD price) and as an added bonus I have worked with these dealers before as they are local dealers. The car would have to be ordered.

Dealer C: Asking $345 more than the best price and are unwilling to budge on the price, but they counter by saying that the $26,981 OTD price also includes a life time warranty on the car (offered through a third party, maintenance must be done and documented -- but does not need to be done at this dealership). Car would have to be ordered.

I do like a good deal . . . and if Dealer A was able to get a car in that much sooner so much the better. I am willing to wait for a vehicle, but at the same time who wouldn't want to be driving a new car that much sooner?

On the other hand, the two local dealers have treated me decently in the past and I suspect might be willing to go a little bit lower on the price . . . but the flip side would be a bit more of a wait.

And then there is that one dealer with a tantalizing lifetime, unlimited mile warranty. Having had my wife's 2003 Legacy Outback develop the infamous head gasket issue at around 100K I am always a bit leery of Subarus . . . but I also question as to how useful that third party warranty would be if push came to shove.

Your thoughts on any of this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd pass on the warranty, but I like to modify my car.

Also, like I said in another post...Go to quirk on hogan rd, Bangor. John Murray. He has given me the best deals on all of my Subarus when others (i.e. Patriot) told me they wouldn't come down a dollar.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I second skipping the warranty.
    For the money that it cost to get the warranty, not worth it IMO.
    I like to mod my cars like 11blackSTi.
    So it really comes down to you.
    If your not moding and want piece of mind, then get the warranty.
    But if your intending to go down the moded path, skip it.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Just wanted to add . . . I most likely would not mod anything in the first few years while it is under the Subaru warranty . . . after that . . . possibly . . . to be honest I have a lot of other expensive hobbies so modding would not be a big thing for me.

Also . . . the aforementioned warranty is a third party warranty that is "free" . . . or rather part of the one dealership's package. There is no opting out of the warranty.

It depends on the reputation of the dealer offering the warranty. The one my mom has on her jeep through a local dealer is fantastic, the service department is top notch, and the deductible is only the diagnostic fee.

However the Toyota dealer owned by the same company has horror stories of lifetime warrantys trying to be used. The lowest price isn't always the best deal if the dealership and its service department isn't worth a crap. In the grand scheme of the price of the car 1k isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I'd pass on the warranty, but I like to modify my car.

Also, like I said in another post...Go to quirk on hogan rd, Bangor. John Murray. He has given me the best deals on all of my Subarus when others (i.e. Patriot) told me they wouldn't come down a dollar.
    Quirk is one of the local dealers I mentioned . . . the other being Charlies . . . both of which may go down a bit more in price if pushed. My wife's 2015 Legacy was bought there -- got the best deal after some back and forth e-mails and phone calls between dealers on the 30th of September. Worked with Pat -- brother to my dentist, who also has a WRX (figure that is a pretty good sign.)

Patriot is the one with the warranty that I mentioned. Test drove a WRX with Vinnie . . . again . . . a salesman who has a WRX.

Pape is the dealer with the lowest price who seems to think they might be able to get the car in by the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    It depends on the reputation of the dealer offering the warranty. The one my mom has on her jeep through a local dealer is fantastic, the service department is top notch, and the deductible is only the diagnostic fee.

However the Toyota dealer owned by the same company has horror stories of lifetime warrantys trying to be used. The lowest price isn't always the best deal if the dealership and its service department isn't worth a crap. In the grand scheme of the price of the car 1k isn't a big deal.
    Honestly . . . the dealership with the lowest price . . . and the dealership with the warranty . . . would probably never be seen again after I buy the car as they are several hours away from me. I also tend to do most of the routine maintenance myself (i.e. oil changes) and buy filters, parts, etc. at the local dealer. Then again, after the initial warranty is up on most cars I tend to have my local garage do any repairs if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterjake View Post
    Honestly . . . the dealership with the lowest price . . . and the dealership with the warranty . . . would probably never be seen again after I buy the car as they are several hours away from me. I also tend to do most of the routine maintenance myself (i.e. oil changes) and buy filters, parts, etc. at the local dealer. Then again, after the initial warranty is up on most cars I tend to have my local garage do any repairs if needed.
    You may not always need them, but when you do its more than handy to have a good one. Some of them will even cut deals on parts, when I still had my JK wrangler brakes were cheaper there than auto zone and better quality obviously.

Its just my opinion, take it for what it is. I'm a big fan of top quality factory service departments.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.