sti performance exhaust
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on sti performance exhaust within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm ordering a wrx sti today. Is the sti performance exhaust worth adding? speakers?...

sti performance exhaust

I'm ordering a wrx sti today. Is the sti performance exhaust worth adding? speakers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Neither, at the time of purchase. You pay for part+install at time of order, so no point in doing it prior to hearing them.

A catback exhaust (what Subaru offers) is a subjective item, and offers basically zero performance gain. You want to make sure you like the sound, and with aftermarket alternatives as readily available, you want to make sure you buy the right one. Find locals in your area and see what they sound like both in-car and outside the car. YouTube clips aren't worth wasting your time with; both the compression of the clip, as well as the differentiation of equipment used in obtaining make it basically worthless.

Sound quality in Subaru sound systems sucks, and it isn't because of the speakers. If you want to increase sound quality, you should follow this formula (the advice below is geared towards someone not concerned with major sound system competitions, but the Regular Joe looking for better sound on his daily commute / weekend warrior excursions):
    1) Head-unit: this will increase the signal to the speakers (factory H/U underpowers the OE speakers), and allow for EQ adjustability
    2) Subwoofer: this will allow you to isolate the lows (subwoofer) and allow the speakers to focus on the mids/highs; if you only have to focus on 2/3 of the spectrum, your clarity increases
    3) Front components: after you've exhausted the first two steps, better quality speakers/tweeters will offer better quality sound output

That said:
    1) Factory tweeter placement SUCKS in terms of sound staging. You should place them in either the A-Pillar or kick panels. Do NOT bother spending $$ on good component speakers for the front if you plan to re-use the factory tweeter location.
    2) Do NOT waste your time on the rear speakers until you've exhausted everything else. Rear speakers will typically alter your staging and make it more difficult for you to tune your system accordingly for the driver. If the passengers are not important enough to sit in the front two seats, they can handle what the factory speakers have to offer in the rear (this is most likely kids or temporary passengers who don't really matter all that much in terms of perfected SQ).
    3) Sound deadening. In order to reduce weight, sound deadening is not really a concern from Subaru's perspective. Lining your trunk for a subwoofer isn't a big item, but the cabin would be worth investing in deadening material (assuming you're willing to sacrifice weight). You want to focus on the doors and the rear deck, generally. This is ~$200 or so well-spent to compliment if you plan on going with all three options listed above.

My general philosophy is that if you're looking for a "decent" system upgrade in your car, you will be looking at a $1500-2000 bill (not including labor, in the event you're not DIY installing). That would net you a better H/U (integrated navigation dependent on need/desires), 4-channel amp (Ch 1/2 for speakers, 3/4 bridged to power sub), subwoofer/enclosure, component speakers up front, deadening, and cabling/accessories.

I assure you that what you buy from Subaru will not compete with what is available in the aftermarket, even if you are looking at just replacing speakers (what you pay for upgraded speakers through Subaru will have better alternatives in the aftermarket).

Best of luck...
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-19-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes Matty is dead on.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486
    Yes Matty is dead on.
    From the ClubWRX resident dealership...

I don't know where you're from, but you don't get a more honest salesman than Clayton.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.