Advice on negotating price?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Advice on negotating price? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everyone, so I'm getting ready to send out emails to 10 dealers in the next couple days, 5 in ...

Advice on negotating price?

Hey everyone, so I'm getting ready to send out emails to 10 dealers in the next couple days, 5 in MI where I live and 5 in Ohio, the furthest being about 3 hours away. Now, I've never negotiated the price of a new car, so how should I approach the sales managers in the emails? Should I email the Ohio dealer first to see the lowest they can go and then approach the MI dealers? This is what I want ultimately, and the price I'm willing to pay:

Option 1- 2015 WRX Base in Dark Gray Metallic- $24,817 (Invoice before D&D, according to TrueCar)
    D&D Waived ($795)
    STi Short Throw Shifter (041)- $353 ($50 off MSRP)
    Illumination Kit, Footwell Red (NEC)- $182 ($20 off MSRP)
    Side Sill Plates (03S)- $123 ($30 off MSRP)
    Armrest Extension (K8H)- $140 ($16 off MSRP)
    Cargo Tray (MCD)- $46 (Invoice)
    Floor Mats (BCA)- $46 (Invoice)
    Total- $25,707
    Willing to pay $27,000 OTD (This includes Taxes, title, and any/all applicable fees)

This isn't unreasonable is it? I've seen plenty of people in the prices paid thread pay $500 under invoice and more even, especially for a base. Oh also, I'll be paying the price of the whole car upfront, and I also have my own plate and whatnot if that makes a difference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh and keep in mind, the above information is what I want to order, not what is on a lot. I read that ordering would get me a much better price.

Jon
    Being from western NC, I was able to secure a base for exactly 27 out the door. This was after calling/dealing with 5-6 dealerships. That being said, I'm not sure if cars tend to be more expensive where you're located. I didn't have the list of goodies you would like for yours but the car did have 5 small extras.

I think it's doable, good luck

You should be able to work that out or get close to it. When it got mine it was the only non STI at the dealership, the two closest dealerships only had some on the way. 1st time I ever paid MSRP but what could I do. Now they have 8 of them sigh...

I think the cars tend to generally be cheaper around where I live, because a couple of the dealers I plan on contacting have WRXs on their lot priced at $26k and some change, while others are a bit over $27k. Haha yeah when you're buying off the lot it's hard to get a good deal.

I took a similar approach back in March. I sent the same e-mail to five local dealers, letting them know they were all involved. At that time, I seemed to know more about the car than they did, as I had been researching obsessively. None of the five were even familiar with the sport package... Ultimately, OTD came in under invoice, and they let me keep the OEM wheels as well. I would not let them know on the front end that you are paying cash, that will not be to your advantage in negotiations. Good luck sir!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Oooooh paying check/cash isn't a good thing anymore? Hmm. How much did you pay OTD if you don't mind me asking? I've also been researching pretty obsessively lol. And you got the sport package, nice. I wonder is the exhaust nice at all? I've heard videos and the stock sounds meaner for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    I took a similar approach back in March. I sent the same e-mail to five local dealers, letting them know they were all involved. At that time, I seemed to know more about the car than they did, as I had been researching obsessively. None of the five were even familiar with the sport package... Ultimately, OTD came in under invoice, and they let me keep the OEM wheels as well. I would not let them know on the front end that you are paying cash, that will not be to your advantage in negotiations. Good luck sir!
    Oops, forgot to quote your post lol, see above post please.

Quote Originally Posted by FailWheelDrive View Post

I paid $29,300 OTD. Cash is not king in this arena, the Dealer would love to make additional monies by having you finance the car through their finance department. The STi performance exhaust sounds nice enough once broken in, though there are many options to choose from in the aftermarket world. I have a friend with the stock exhaust and his is a bit softer in my opinion. I am probably going to pick up a new set of wheels this spring, so if I were to do it all over again, I probably would not get the sport package. Oh, there are also better options as far as short throw shifters go as well...

2015 CWP WRX Premium

I paid $29,300 OTD. Cash is not king in this arena, the Dealer would love to make additional monies by having you finance the car through their finance department. The STi performance exhaust sounds nice enough once broken in, though there are many options to choose from in the aftermarket world. I have a friend with the stock exhaust and his is a bit softer in my opinion. I am probably going to pick up a new set of wheels this spring, so if I were to do it all over again, I probably would not get the sport package. Oh, there are also better options as far as short throw shifters go as well...
    Oh wow 29,300, tax is high in your state I'm assuming? Or did you pay msrp for the sport package? Yeah that makes sense actually, finalize the deal before discussing payment options. Hmm I might stick to my original plan then, option wise anyway, since I'll probably end up getting aftermarket wheels anyway, thanks man

Oh wow 29,300, tax is high in your state I'm assuming? Or did you pay msrp for the sport package? Yeah that makes sense actually, finalize the deal before discussing payment options. Hmm I might stick to my original plan then, option wise anyway, since I'll probably end up getting aftermarket wheels anyway, thanks man
    Actual Fail, we do not have state tax in Oregon. I purchased a 2015 Premium with the sport package and all weather mats. MSRP for that is $31,925 including $795 destination. Invoice for that is $29,828 including destination. I am out the door, license, title, destination, literally out of the door at $29,300. I actually think I got a decent deal...(plus they let me keep the OEM wheels)
    Last edited by Goose42; 12-21-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Wheels

2015 CWP WRX Premium

Actual Fail, we do not have state tax in Oregon. I purchased a 2015 Premium with the sport package and all weather mats. MSRP for that is $31,925 including $795 destination. Invoice for that is $29,828 including destination. I am out the door, license, title, destination, literally out of the door at $29,300. I actually think I got a decent deal...(plus they let me keep the OEM wheels)
    Lucky you, I wish we had no sales tax in Michigan. Ah okay yours is a premium, I was wondering why it was nearing 30k, that's an awesome deal from what I can tell, pretty much got delivery taken off and then some, excellent. And the sport package was basically free, nice negotiating.

Another question, upon ordering a car, can I negotiate the finance rate? Or is that something that isn't discussed until the vehicle actually arrives?

Another question, upon ordering a car, can I negotiate the finance rate? Or is that something that isn't discussed until the vehicle actually arrives?
    Anything is negotiable. If your credit score is good, know what you qualify for going in, and go from there. Credit unions generally offer the best rate, but shop around.

2015 CWP WRX Premium

Yay, placed my order today with a dealership about two hours away, got the purchase agreement signed and finance forms filled out. Now we play the waiting game...dealer said most likely in March or April, but I don't have a VON yet so I have to wait and see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.