Driving a new WRX 1100 miles?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Driving a new WRX 1100 miles? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm going to buy a '15 WRX on Wednesday, I live in New York and the car is in Georgia. ...

Driving a new WRX 1100 miles?

I'm going to buy a '15 WRX on Wednesday, I live in New York and the car is in Georgia. Planning on flying down and driving it back. I've read that it's not very good to drive a new car long distances like that during the break in period. I've also heard that I should vary the RPMs and speed as much as possible. Any suggestions or advice? The trip is over 1000 miles (16 hours). Should I just pay the extra $400 to have it trucked on a flatbed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'll be fine. Like you said, vary speeds and RPMs, keep it under 4000 RPMs.

Assuming you'll drive it gently, you might get 25mpg on a new engine (maybe more once it's run in). If that's the case, you'll need about 40 gallons of fuel for the trip. I don't know the cost of premium fuel where you are, but in my area it's $4.20 p/gallon. That's $168. Deduct that from the $400 they want to bring it to you and you're left with $232. Then deduct the price of your flight, and it's probably cheaper to have it brought to you. But, even if it was costing me more, I'd have it brought to me. Just to not have to spend two days traveling or sitting in an airport. I detest sitting in airports.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Assuming you'll drive it gently, you might get 25mpg on a new engine (maybe more once it's run in). If that's the case, you'll need about 40 gallons of fuel for the trip. I don't know the cost of premium fuel where you are, but in my area it's $4.20 p/gallon. That's $168. Deduct that from the $400 they want to bring it to you and you're left with $232. Then deduct the price of your flight, and it's probably cheaper to have it brought to you. But, even if it was costing me more, I'd have it brought to me. Just to not have to spend two days traveling or sitting in an airport. I detest sitting in airports.
    The plane ticket to fly down is only $170 and the calculated fuel cost to drive back is roughly $160 (but the car comes with a full tank of gas already). The trucking company quoted me $800, and that's the cheapest one I could find. I'm with you on the whole 16 hour drive and waiting in an airport though, since I have to work the next day.

I appreciate the quick reply, I'll just do my best to baby it on the way back and switch up my speeds / no cruise control.

If you have the time, you could just stay off the interstates. See the great part of the East coast.

I drove mine home 2.5 hours having to vary the rpms. Jeebus that was a PIA. You will be nutty after 16 hours or give into the cruise control whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the drive at all, especially having to work the next day. I should only have to vary the RPMs for the first couple hundred miles though right? I plan on stopping every 200-250 miles and let the car idle down before I shut it off for a 30-40 minute break.

No need to idle before shutting it off. Vary rpms for first thousand miles.

Do not use cruise control before 1000 miles.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda View Post
    I'm going to buy a '15 WRX on Wednesday, I live in New York and the car is in Georgia. Planning on flying down and driving it back. I've read that it's not very good to drive a new car long distances like that during the break in period. I've also heard that I should vary the RPMs and speed as much as possible. Any suggestions or advice? The trip is over 1000 miles (16 hours). Should I just pay the extra $400 to have it trucked on a flatbed?
    Firstly, check engine oil level before you leave. do not use cruise control, and vary speed. Do not beat to death and don't use brakes hard. Change oil and filter before 3K.

Turbos run hot, so 3k oil changes are necessary.

I got mine on 6/7 and just turned 6,000 today. have changed oil at 2,000, 4,000 and will do 6K service next week. Then oil/filter every 3k,follow maintenance in manual.

enjoy it!!
    Welcome!
    Mike in Maine

Just an update:
    Everything went fine...pulled over every 250 miles or so and let the car cool down a bit. Varied RPMs throughout the drive..made for a much longer trip (roughly 20 hours instead of 17) but it was worth it. The car has 1500 miles on it right now and I have an appointment to have the oil changed next Friday. Overall, very happy with the car. Way too easy to speed in this thing.

Got alot of respectful waves from every wrx and sti owner I saw on the trip. Thanks for all the help.

Awesome! Glad it worked out!

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda View Post
    Just an update:
    Everything went fine...pulled over every 250 miles or so and let the car cool down a bit. Varied RPMs throughout the drive..made for a much longer trip (roughly 20 hours instead of 17) but it was worth it. The car has 1500 miles on it right now and I have an appointment to have the oil changed next Friday. Overall, very happy with the car. Way too easy to speed in this thing.

Got alot of respectful waves from every wrx and sti owner I saw on the trip. Thanks for all the help.
    That's great! And it is a smart idea to change oil right away. Still go easy, but now you can really get into the full boost.
    I would look into mud flaps and a front deflector, I had the plastic wrap done when I got it. (invisible bra)
    I live in Ma and both the roads and peoples driving is terrible. I just recently ordered the side molding to protect the doors.
    I'm not a fan of them, but it will save trips to the body shop.

Congratulations on the new car! Keep us updated with pics and mods.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.