Expensive Service Intervals?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Expensive Service Intervals? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm looking at buying a 2014 WRX hatchback. I was wondering if there are any expensive service intervals on the ...

Expensive Service Intervals?

I'm looking at buying a 2014 WRX hatchback. I was wondering if there are any expensive service intervals on the WRX that I should be aware of? I know with some cars, notably sports cars, there are expensive service intervals in the first few thousand miles. Just want to make sure i know what I am getting myself into.

Thanks!

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oil changes are Synthetic...so if you pay a dealer or shop to do it, they will charge you $60ish or so. Its obviously much cheaper if you do it yourself. But you don't have to change oil until ever 7500 miles.

Otherwise...just Google what they do at the 30k, 60k, 90k, etc. services.. A lot of the "Service" can be done at home yourself. If you take it to the dealer, they "inspect" a lot of crap and charge you the labor/time it takes to do that, such as $50 or $60 for a cabin filter change. You can order a cabin filter for $15 off Amazon and install it yourself behind the dash in 20 minutes.

Spark plugs (60k) can be considered expensive, mostly because of labor. The time it takes to remove the battery and other stuff to get to them drives up the time it takes. But, its another thing you can do yourself because it's decently easy so long as you have tools.

Timing Belt service at 105k can be costly of course...they have to take apart much of the front end of the car...that can run you anywhere from $900-$1500 depending on what else you get done at the same time (radiator? Coolant, thermostat, water pump, etc.).

Bottom line though, these cars aren't much more expensive than any other basic car (with the exception of a BMW or Mercedes).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

What ^^ said.

Don't forget tires. You MUST change all 4 at a time.
    Being AWD, you probably love grip, so forget about buying cheap tires anymore, not that you ever should have...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    What ^^ said.

Don't forget tires. You MUST change all 4 at a time.
    Being AWD, you probably love grip, so forget about buying cheap tires anymore, not that you ever should have...

I didn't think maintaining a WRX was too bad.. until I had to unexpectedly drop $1150 on tires simply because I ran over a screw and got a puncture.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I didn't think maintaining a WRX was too bad.. until I had to unexpectedly drop $1150 on tires simply because I ran over a screw and got a puncture.
    It will also depend on your warranty situation. The tune up services can be pricey and also brake jobs. You can do all of those things yourself.
    But you still want to be careful to follow dealer service intervals, because they can be picky about where it gets serviced. I didn't buy extended warranty mainly because as parts wear and need replacing I'll upgrade them.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Was this because it was too close to the sidewall?

I have a nail in my right rear now not close to the sidewall and not leaking. Not driving the car after discovery which was close to when it got in there I think. I'm gonna pull it out one night and see if it leaks. If it does take the tire down to the dealer for a free patch since I have the Gold Plus extended warranty that covers it. Also covers the original tires which according to the previous owner of the car have like 100 miles on em since he swapped out for new wheels/tires almost right away.

I was told by the dealer that compared to say my Nissan (the dealer park sells Subaru, Ford and Nissan) that the Subaru is 25% more to maintain. Not German car level I guess but not cheap.

Timing belt - I'll be selling my car before I have to replace
    Spark plugs - I figure this is the one main maintenance cost which most people will have to get done. I don't understand why it's this low for a modern car.

Tires, brakes, etc to me are normal considering it's a sporty performance car. So I expect higher tire and brake costs.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

I had a nail in the shoulder of the tire and that was unrepairable.
    I would just have the dealer take it off and fix it right then and there. No risk of deforming the tire if there is a leak.
    Luckily I had only put on a few hundred miles. New tire.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    I had a nail in the shoulder of the tire and that was unrepairable.
    I would just have the dealer take it off and fix it right then and there. No risk of deforming the tire if there is a leak.
    Luckily I had only put on a few hundred miles. New tire.

So you recommend I don't bother pulling the nail out myself, its not going into the tire so much as across the tire through the tread. I was gonna pull it out in my garage with a jack ready in case it deflates. Alternative is to drive it 3 miles down the road to the dealer and risk nail getting worse. I hate these decisions. Also be nice if dealer wouldn't have to jack it up. Just look and go, it can be plugged, come out with plug kit ready to go, pull out nail and insert plug if it leaks.

If you know how to plug do it...but from the sounds of it being across the tread rather than a puncture then there's no problem. The only time you really can't plug a tire is if it's too close to the sidewall where the tread ends
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    If you know how to plug do it...but from the sounds of it being across the tread rather than a puncture then there's no problem. The only time you really can't plug a tire is if it's too close to the sidewall where the tread ends
    Well I called dealer last week and I can basically pull the wheel off and take it to them and I get free repair. I just have to give them mileage of car. But ideally if I pull out the nail it won't leak. But if it does I have to get my first experience with jacking the car up.

Maybe I'm being a bit silly not just driving the car down the road 3 miles to have em fix. But I am barely driving car as this nail in the rear tire delayed me getting the clear bra and opticoat on it.

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Spray some water where nail came out of and see if its bubbling air.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

So what if you have to jack the car up...it'd be the same as if you had to change a tire. Jack it up, get the wheel off, take it to get repaired, put wheel back on, **** bitches. Profit.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    It will also depend on your warranty situation. The tune up services can be pricey and also brake jobs. You can do all of those things yourself.
    But you still want to be careful to follow dealer service intervals, because they can be picky about where it gets serviced. I didn't buy extended warranty mainly because as parts wear and need replacing I'll upgrade them.

I'm not sure I follow. None of the maintenance I've done had anything to do with a warranty. I do most of the work myself, so things like oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, etc don't really cost any more than any other car. But having to replace four tires instead of just one quadruples the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    Was this because it was too close to the sidewall?

Pretty much. I had the screw pulled, and the hole patched.. but then a week later the car started riding very rough. The inner sidewall of the tire buckled and bubbled out. Since the tires were about 1/3rd worn down the tread depth was too far off to install a new tire without replacing the other three, and when your tires cost $290 a piece it adds up quick.

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Spray some water where nail came out of and see if its bubbling air.
    Yep that's the plan. However I just got the car so I'm a bit nervous about screwing up my pride and joy jacking the car up with the factory stand.

You're not going to screw it up. It's pretty straight forward

How is the nail preventing you from getting clear bra?
    Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.