1999 JDM WRX Wagon vs 2002 USDM WRX Wagon ... Which to buy ??

This is a discussion on 1999 JDM WRX Wagon vs 2002 USDM WRX Wagon ... Which to buy ?? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; So I'm looking into getting my first wrx and having a hard time deciding between these two. The 99 JDM ...

So I'm looking into getting my first wrx and having a hard time deciding between these two. The 99 JDM wrx has 110000 km (68350 miles) whereas the 2002 wrx has 153000 km (95069 miles). The JDM one was just imported into canada and is completely bone stock being sold for $7500 whereas the USDM has an aftermarket exhaust and air filter being sold for $6000. Just wondering if people can offer any opinons or advice. I am slightly leaning towards the 2002 because aftermarket support seems alot better and it seems easier to work on, but the rhd of the JDM intrigues me and I love the front end on those (hate the 2002 bugeyes). The aftermarket support for the JDM seems really weak and I could barely find anything out about them with google searches. Also I am college student so having to repair the JDM seems like it could be alot of trouble, trying to find out whats compatible and what isn't. So yeah any advice or opinons would be awesome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	162313
    the jdm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20 (1).JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	162321
    the usdm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

RHD will be a godsend should you ever decide to deliver mail. Otherwise it will be at best annoying (example: toll booths, drive throughs).

Does fuel in CA support the octane needs of a JP domestic tune engine?

The bugeye is more advanced, the JP car rarer in your country. Neither is a good choice; between the two I'd pick the one with better support, because you're going to need parts sooner or later.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    For that kind of money you could do better. You want to keep your eye on the local Subaru dealers. They will get a lot of quality trade ins, because of the new body style. I'm seeing good deals all around me I'm in Boston.
    Another good tip is wait till the end of the month or the beginning of the month. Dealers have quotas and will wheel and deal because they need the sales. Keep looking I got my 2004 WRX in 2010 for $12,000 with 19800 miles on it. There are some great deals out there you just got to shop around.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I actually didn't consider all of the annoying parts of owning a rhd till now, the 2002 definitely seems like a better choice after talking to some of my friends about it. Where I live now there is no Subaru dealer so I would have to drive just as far to get to the dealership as to get one of these (about 1000km). I realize these are probably over priced but wrx's are pretty hard to come by here. I know 3 or 4 guys with wrx's and have only ever saw 2 with sti's. Also I just sold my old car for 7 grand and where im going to college its pretty hard to get any extra loans. Thanks for the advice though guys.

In Washington State I see 2002 WRXs sitting around $7,000-7,500 w/ 120,000 miles+ on Craigslist. Which is odd because I thought the PNW was the Subaru capital of the world :P I figured the supply would be pretty high, but I suppose the demand is as well.