bought used wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on bought used wrx within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; 04 wrx with this heavy exedy clutch, an aftermarket exhaust etc. ( i will post pics later ) has 94k ...

bought used wrx

04 wrx with this heavy exedy clutch, an aftermarket exhaust etc. ( i will post pics later ) has 94k miles. tranny seems to be in good condition, engine runs strong, turbo seems to spool correctly.. what do you guys think? what other info can i give ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of information are you looking for?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

basically; was it a good buy? there is a receipt for an oil change from texas, roil purple 10w-30 synthetic i believe. but it was done at 80k. if i do all fluids, filters, belts etc. how long do you think it would last until major work needs to be done?

I Support ClubWRX
    To be honest there is no way to possibly know that. That car could go forever or it could die tomorrow.

Things I'd be concerned about:

You're asking these questions after buying it.

Our cars use 5w-30 so that oil needs to be changed asap. What kind of maintenance life did the car lead? If that's how the oil was changed all the time it could be an issue.

When were the brakes done?

Have you done a compression/leakdown test or had a mechanic look over the car?

If the exhaust is turbo back you'd need to know how the car was tuned.

Why did they put in a HD clutch?

Is there rust?

How are the tires?

Personally, without any additional knowledge other than what you've given I wouldn't have bought that car.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    To be honest there is no way to possibly know that. That car could go forever or it could die tomorrow.

Things I'd be concerned about:

You're asking these questions after buying it.
    I want this forums opinion..
    Our cars use 5w-30 so that oil needs to be changed asap. What kind of maintenance life did the car lead? If that's how the oil was changed all the time it could be an issue.
    I thought 10w-30 was usable depending on the climate?
    When were the brakes done?
    the brakes will be done by me
    Have you done a compression/leakdown test or had a mechanic look over the car?
    no, is there a economical way to test it myself? and yes I have
    If the exhaust is turbo back you'd need to know how the car was tuned.
    in the process of finding that out. . would buying a cobb accessport solve this issue?
    Why did they put in a HD clutch?
    no clue but its annoying as hell in rush hour
    Is there rust?
    no
    How are the tires?
    about 80 percent
    Personally, without any additional knowledge other than what you've given I wouldn't have bought that car.

So what oil should i be putting into it? what transmission fluid? what differential fluid? ive seen different answers in the stickies and other peoples posts.

I Support ClubWRX
    10w-30 isn't a recommend oil type regardless of climate.

Quote from another thread:
    "5W30 is the recommended oil for best fuel economy and is what Subaru puts in the car from the factory. As you can see from the factory manual page above,5w30 basically works for most of us due to climate temps. Obviously some might run a different oil in the winter and summer seasons depending on where you live or by preferred choice."

Yes you can do the test yourself.
    Basics: Compression/Leak Tests

Getting an accessport would allow you to tune it yes but, running a TBE without a tune could have damaged the motor. I'd ask the previous owner about how they tuned it (if it's turbo back) and go from there.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by randomusername View Post
    So what oil should i be putting into it? what transmission fluid? what differential fluid? ive seen different answers in the stickies and other peoples posts.
    Rotella T6 5w30 is a pretty widely used oil.

Trans and dif should get Subaru Extra-S only.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

thanks I will test compression and find out about tune asap. I see that desert climate(which is what im in) says 10w-50 synthetic, that might be what the jiffy lube receipt said "royal purple 10w-50" cause the car came from texas which is also desert climate.

ok I will look into rotella but that disheartens me because ive read people saying motul, amsoil, mobil1 etc. are the best... and youre the first one to say rotella

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks I will test compression and find out about tune asap. I see that desert climate(which is what im in) says 10w-50 synthetic, that might be what the jiffy lube receipt said "royal purple 10w-50" cause the car came from texas which is also desert climate.
    Welcome!

10w50 should be okay but, I'd still change it just to be sure.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    ok I will look into rotella but that disheartens me because ive read people saying motul, amsoil, mobil1 etc. are the best... and youre the first one to say rotella
    Everyone else is wrong lol.

But really, T6 has consistently returned great UOAs for our cars. Google Rotella T6 WRX and you'll see plenty of support for it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    T6 is 5w40 and non energy conserving.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Rotella T6 5w30 is a pretty widely used oil.

Trans and dif should get Subaru Extra-S only.

T6 only comes in 5w40.

Also, in my personal experience, Extra-S sucks. Out of the four gear oils I have tried (including the non-synthetic that came in my bugeye from the factory), Extra-S was by far the worst. It's the only gear oil I really had trouble with grinding gears. It was like the coefficient of friction wasn't high enough to engage the syncros. The best two gear oils I have used were Red Line, and Amsoil. Never had a singe issue with either of those.

In the gearbox you want an oil with friction modifiers for syncromesh transmissions, in the rear diff (front diff shares oil with the gear box) I would use whatever you pick for the gear box, but a version without the friction modifiers. No such thing as too slick for the rear diff.

Regardless of weight, Royal Purple is pretty ****ty oil, especially in turbo cars. It has a tendency to froth, and many of the UOAs I've seen were on the verge of scary in terms of wear. I wouldn't run 10w50 either, and I'm in TX. 50 weight is pretty heavy unless you have a built engine with looser clearances and need to do something to keep your pressure in spec. Anything from 0w30 to 10w40 should be fine.. maybe on the heavier side of that if it's regularly above 100F where you live.

If you really want to know what weight works best for your specific car and climate, you will need to monitor oil pressure and send samples in for frequent UOAs.

Then you evidently haven't read much on Subaru forums.. at all. I would say Rotella T6 is probably the preferred oil for 70% of the community.. at least in the United States. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best, but it's inexpensive and readily available. That, coupled with it's impressive UOA results, and group think make it to go to oil for most turbo Subaru applications. There are some GL5 ester based oils that I would say are better.. Motul v300, and Amsoil Dominator are probably about the best you can get (and their price tag reflects that). Redline and Valvoline VR1 are also excellent choices, as is German Castrol 0w-30 (although that seems to be getting harder to find, and might not be the best for hot climates).

Engine oils I would avoid.. anything made by Penzoil, Mobil 1 5w30 (shears horribly in turbo applications.. which is funny, because Mobil 1 10w30 seems to perform pretty well), Royal Purple, any non-synthetics..

I would be most concerned about your tune situation. If your tune isn't right for the modifications you have on the car, one trip to the grocery store could ruin your engine.. even if it "feels" like it's running good.

Thank you everybody for the great replies with detailed info!

you're right I haven't read deep into the forums, I've just read through threads that have popped up on google.

I contacted previous owner of vehicle and he said its tuned for the mods which should be: "aps tbe, aps cai and aps hard y pipe kit for the tmic"
    Now i bought from a mechanic shop and am wondering if they kept the mods on or replaced some or all with factory stuff. how can I check this?

I picked up fuel,oil,air filter oem replacements and a 4qt. bottle of t6 rotella 5w-40 and I have two more questions: it labelled as diesel oil, did I get the right one? its all they had on the shelf.
    and will I need to go back and get another bottle? isnt the capacity 4.7 qts? I couldn't remember at the store.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.