Help needed from forum members
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help needed from forum members within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I have been looking at a modified 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX on eBay. I was wondering if you guys could ...

Help needed from forum members

I have been looking at a modified 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX on eBay. I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this would be a safe deal or if I should stay away. I would like to make it a daily driver and don't intend to launch it not race it. I'm up in Phoenix, so I would be able to take it to get checked out.

Subaru WRX WRX with Additions | eBay

Look at the descriptions tab to see the mods that the owner installed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Ehh.. first thing they say is it has a VF34 that spools 500rpm EARLIER than the stock turbo. Either that's a lie, or they didn't have it set up right on the stock turbo. It should be the other way around, stock td04 should outspool a VF turbo by about 500rpm.

The other thing that stands out to me is that they tuned it themselves. That could be a big problem, or not.

Not the worst mods, but I would personally avoid it.

When looking at modded cars I always like to know when they did the work. They say it has a "new" turbo - if an owner is selling a newly modified car it often means that they have come across some serious issues and just want to dump it (the alternative is often costly). If the mod has been there for several thousand miles and they have service records then it's worth an inspection if you know what you are looking for. If you are unsure then walk away.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Ehh.. first thing they say is it has a VF34 that spools 500rpm EARLIER than the stock turbo. Either that's a lie, or they didn't have it set up right on the stock turbo. It should be the other way around, stock td04 should outspool a VF turbo by about 500rpm.

The other thing that stands out to me is that they tuned it themselves. That could be a big problem, or not.

Not the worst mods, but I would personally avoid it.

Maybe faster than the stock turbo with the stock tune and stock exhaust, not optimized like you are correctly characterizing.

I think it would be worth a look IMO. It sounds like about how I would describe my car - good but not extreme mods that enhance the car. The fact they didn't choose anything "bad" has some merit.

That being said, I would never buy ANY used WRX, stock or otherwise, without at least running learning view or preferably a log. That would cover the tune for me.

I will say I'm really not sure what they were after with the big inlet though.

With suspension mods this car would be just how I like them.

If the guy can verify the SAE statement, as in he has the credentials, I would tend to put faith in it that he didn't beat his own car. They just know better most likely.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    My VF34 sure never seemed to spool earlier than the stocker..but perhaps an unfair comparison, since I barely remember what the TD04 felt like without some kind of map in there.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It seems like it isnt to bad, I think if you are going to look at it go over it with a VERY fine tooth comb.
    Especially since they did tuning themselves
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

I ended up buying it, I had it looked over by my mechanic and he said everything looked good. I brought all the questions you guys had to the seller and he explained that he had it tuned at IA Performance here in Tucson before the company moved to Colorado. So far the car has been great and has been a hoot to drive. All my friends can now tell I've arrived before I even ring the doorbell, which is funny. Again, thanks for all your input.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.