Advice needed on buying a 10 year old WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Advice needed on buying a 10 year old WRX within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hi Guys, I'm looking to buy a older WRX and have 2 choices currently available via Suub Hong Kong dealer. ...

Advice needed on buying a 10 year old WRX

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to buy a older WRX and have 2 choices currently available via Suub Hong Kong dealer. Both WRX's are trade-in vehicles.

The first is a 2004 2.0-litre WRX, silver colour (see pic). Its done 48,000 miles (77,000Km's) with 2 owners. Its a UK specification car. Suub service centre have a history up to 2008 when the car was sold to its second owner. From 2008 it appears to have been regularly serviced but no subsequent maintenance history is available. I had the car inspected at our Suub service centre. To get into safe working condition, it needs new rear shocks, rear brake discs (rotors) and pads and a few other bits. The gear shifter is a bit loose so needs new bushes. Due to no recent service history, we assume the camb belt and water pump should be replaced. That and a major service is needed. While the car is in overall un-molested good condition, it does need about US$3,500 spending on it.

The second is a 2005 2.5-litre WRX, blue colour (see pic) with similar mileage. Its also had 2 owners and doesn't have a recent service history. It might also be a UK-EU specification car. But it does belong to a Hong Kong Suub club owner who hopefully can give me more info when the Suub service centre inspects this car next Wednesday. I do know this car due for a camb-belt and water pump change so these costs will need to be factored in.

Sale prices:
    The silver 2004 car around US$7,700
    The blue 2005 car around US$12,500
    Negotiation on these prices is available. I'm in Hong Kong where all car prices are high due to high government taxation. Please use the prices for comparison between to 2 cars, and not go off-topic with debate about pricing compared to other places.

I'm a mechanical engineer and already own a 2014 Forester XT, so the WRX will be my weekend car for pleasure and driving fun.

Having never owned a WRX, I'm not familiar with these car's quirks. Any "what to look for" advice and opinions on which car is the better drive, is most welcome!

Cheers
    Mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx-2.5litre-v9.jpeg   wrx-2.0litre-v8.jpg  
    Last edited by markfenlon; 08-08-2014 at 06:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Since you already have one car, and this is to be a second car for fun drives, why get the
    "many compromises, all around okay" wrx? I have a USDM 2005 WRX with the 2.0L motor, and although it is very communicative about the road, it does feel heavy and fairly underpowered (especially in stock form at low rpm). I like this character, but am biased because it is my first car and I am unreasonably attached to it.
    David - '05 WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.