2002 subaru impreza wrx as a first car?...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 subaru impreza wrx as a first car?... within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Looking to buy my first car, im 16 about to be 17 soon senior(12th grade) and well i want something ...

2002 subaru impreza wrx as a first car?...

Looking to buy my first car, im 16 about to be 17 soon senior(12th grade) and well i want something different other than a honda... i was loooking for a subaru wrx around 100k-130k miles and buying it off a dealer. just wondering if it would be okay even if it has that much miles. ive heared people say the transmission is like "glass". i just love subarus especially the wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Se the how-to threads if you insist on purchasing. I'd buy a Honda instead though. Find something completed stock and boring and keep it that way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Se the how-to threads if you insist on purchasing. I'd buy a Honda instead though. Find something completed stock and boring and keep it that way.
    Sound advice! Buy a Civic or Corolla, great gas mileage and dependability.
    Not to mention the insurance would be crippling. And the maintenance.
    I love my WRX I didn't get first one until age 29. Not a beginner car.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by soontobe... View Post
    Looking to buy my first car, im 16 about to be 17 soon senior(12th grade) and well i want something different other than a honda... i was loooking for a subaru wrx around 100k-130k miles and buying it off a dealer. just wondering if it would be okay even if it has that much miles. ive heared people say the transmission is like "glass". i just love subarus especially the wagon
    What's your budget ?

If your budget is about $5,000 , I would definitely get a civic that is around $2,000. Then I would do a motor swap.

I would wait on the WRX and make it like a graduation present from high school or college.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My first car was an 81 accord. While my friends were all burning up rubber in muscle cars, I was running it out to Colorado, or California, or all the hell over the country instead. that car went to well over half the states. Gas was cheap, but a big part of it was that it never broke and didn't take up any of my money once I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag11 View Post
    What's your budget ?

If your budget is about $5,000 , I would definitely get a civic that is around $2,000. Then I would do a motor swap.

I would wait on the WRX and make it like a graduation present from high school or college.
    This is, well, very impractical, advice.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    15 Year Old Noob

^^^^ Lots of great input here regarding the topic. And as a now 17 year old who bought a bugeye for my first car, I'd advise against it.

EDIT: If you insist on buying one, make sure the timing belt and preferably clutch (assuming you will want a standard) is done and the car is stock. I would suggest keeping it stock as well.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

You could always start out with an RS (standard Impreza) instead of the WRX. Sure, you won't have BOOST!, but you you'll still have AWD and a car you can rely on. You can mod the exterior and interior the same way you would a WRX if you wanted. Costs will be lower than a WRX.

As for the transmission, I learned how to drive a manual on my 2002 WRX, and it was just fine. Some of the 02s had a weak tranny though, but that would have sorted itself out by now.
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Funny how a stock 2.5rs is worth more than a bugeye.

If I was a young kid, that would appeal to me. 2.5rs now, insert wrx motor in a few years as a really cool challenging project.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by soontobe... View Post
    I appreciate your thinking that Subaru is better than another car company, actually the main reason, it has superb mileage, comfortable and affordable. I believe it is a best decision ever.

Go with a Honda. Reliability is key.

I mean think about it.. do you really want a 12 year old WRX with over 100,000 miles on it? And you will never find a stock one either. All those bug eyes and blob eyes floating around the web.. who knows what was done to their engines and suspensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kold View Post
    Go with a Honda. Reliability is key.

I mean think about it.. do you really want a 12 year old WRX with over 100,000 miles on it? And you will never find a stock one either. All those bug eyes and blob eyes floating around the web.. who knows what was done to their engines and suspensions.
    Incorrect I found several stock 02 WRXs in my search for one. Just have to look. But do I suggest one for a first car? No!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.