Don't laugh at me. Looking to Buy 2015 WRX or STI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Don't laugh at me. Looking to Buy 2015 WRX or STI within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm currently driving 2011 fiesta se hatchback manual 5 speed and I live in buffalo area. As you know the ...

I am very new at this. Looking to Buy 2015 WRX or STI

I'm currently driving 2011 fiesta se hatchback manual 5 speed and I live in buffalo area. As you know the winter can be hard especially around here and last year being so harsh I'm looking for a bigger car. Always had Subaru with all wheel drive in mind. Now, I know nothing about cars but when my family had a legacy limited it was a such a great car I was very sad to see it go when they traded it in for Flex I was younger back than and being a poor college student. ANyway when a buddy of mine got a new Ford ST, I thought it was time for me to trade in. Just the look of it and timing of I guess "growing up" and being independant I want to move on from some frugal and lesser value of a car. I'm not looking to mod, change or anything on these vehicle and most likely not going to bother with extra accessories as well. I love the idea of STI but the value of Standard WRX also highly intriguing. I don't want to make another mistake of rushing to get a vehicle like I did with fiesta, later finding out early 2011 version doesn't have traction control disable.

What pricing should I be targeting on? what accesspries or package is worth it? ex) premium, limited,
    What are you guys' thoughts on STI vs WRX

I thank you very much in advance

P.S. This is probably going to be my largest purchase in my life. I am by no means "loaded" however these vehicles are very well manageable in my current income, and I'm looking to base this purchase as my motivator so I am definitely getting one.
    Last edited by yulysia; 08-03-2014 at 08:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club.

This dilemma is not a new one. Here's a couple of threads on the subject:
    2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI

2015: WRX Limited or STI ? Why one over the other? What is the real difference?

Bottom line, its a totally subjective choice. Both the WRX and STi are terrific but somewhat unique performance values in their own way. For me, the 2015 STi is currently the choice basically because it's overall a more robust platform (probably why I bought one lol) but not everyone will arrive at that same answer based on their personal preferences/needs. And making a different decision really doesn't make it wrong at all... Only you though can decide what options are "worth it". 10-15 years ago I would have said that auto dimming rear view mirrors, side mirror turn signals, steering wheel radio controls and keyless entry were completely un-important options. Now, I would not likely buy a new car with out many of the options on my 2015 STi.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Exactly why would we laugh at you? This is a WRX/STi community after all.

The common saying around here is:

WRX: Street car that can be driven on the track.
    STi: Track car that can be driven on the street.

The STi is a bit harder-edged the the WRX. Many may find it too hard-edged to daily drive. The new WRX receives a modern motor (FA20DIT) and will return as much as 25% better fuel economy (this is huge) compared to the STi. If you want an STi, though, now may be the time to buy since there is no guarantee that Subaru will keep the model in the future.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks for the advice guys!!!

today, I stopped at couple of dealers, first place I didn't like at all, they wouldn't let me even test drive it and I ended up leaving after they tried to shove the car down my throat even before I tested it out but at least I had an idea of pricing and offers. Second dealer I had a great experience and I did get to drive the STI but unfortunately they only had WRX with CVT which I test drove after the STI so the experience wasn't all that great.

STI was awesome, the power, rumble sound, and overall feel of the car was just solid. I mean I've never drove a sports/performance car in my life but I felt that this car wasn't going to disappoint me for years to come. Now it's the matter of how much will I be spending. I'm having a hard time haggling the pricing of these vehicle. They are currently low production from forester being high priority according to the sales rep. They dont seem to budge the price at all

EDIT:

Addition to above, I am leaning towards STi, coming from fiesta I probably will be shocked by the gas efficiency and high octane cost. Is it really that drastic? another thing is how much insurance cost are we talking here
    Last edited by yulysia; 08-04-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yulysia View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys!!!

today, I stopped at couple of dealers, first place I didn't like at all, they wouldn't let me even test drive it and I ended up leaving after they tried to shove the car down my throat even before I tested it out but at least I had an idea of pricing and offers. Second dealer I had a great experience and I did get to drive the STI but unfortunately they only had WRX with CVT which I test drove after the STI so the experience wasn't all that great.

STI was awesome, the power, rumble sound, and overall feel of the car was just solid. I mean I've never drove a sports/performance car in my life but I felt that this car wasn't going to disappoint me for years to come. Now it's the matter of how much will I be spending. I'm having a hard time haggling the pricing of these vehicle. They are currently low production from forester being high priority according to the sales rep. They dont seem to budge the price at all

EDIT:

Addition to above, I am leaning towards STi, coming from fiesta I probably will be shocked by the gas efficiency and high octane cost. Is it really that drastic? another thing is how much insurance cost are we talking here
    Gas mileage will certainly be less than what that Fiesta is putting down. As far as insurance, depends on your age, location, driving history etc:

Insurance for WRX's and STI's

Good luck!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

zax
    Figure you will get about half the miles per gallon compared to the Fiesta. Furthermore, add 10% for the cost of premium fuel. Figure 220% the operational cost compared to the Fiesta. If you are comfortable with this budget, go for it!

If not, I'd suggest the WRX, which sees an additional 15-20% fuel economy over the STi. Despite the advertisement of 91 octane, 93 octane is a must in the WRX.

Facebook me here

If you will not track your car, get a WRX. The STI is absolutely the better car but it's likely you'll never use it how it was intended. The power curve is very different between the two. My advice is to go for a 11-14 WRX hatchback since it has the widebody. Best deal around.

If you're driving a fiesta now, the WRX vs STI badge delimma won't really be a factor.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    If you will not track your car, get a WRX. The STI is absolutely the better car but it's likely you'll never use it how it was intended. The power curve is very different between the two. My advice is to go for a 11-14 WRX hatchback since it has the widebody. Best deal around.

If you're driving a fiesta now, the WRX vs STI badge delimma won't really be a factor.
    I like the idea of STI being heavier and more rigid, looking to use this vehicle hopefully above 200k miles plus it's going to plow thru the snow during the winter

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by yulysia View Post
    I like the idea of STI being heavier and more rigid, looking to use this vehicle hopefully above 200k miles plus it's going to plow thru the snow during the winter
    The STi is neither heavier nor more rigid than the WRX.

EDIT: Well it is slightly heavier, by about 30 lbs.

Facebook me here

I see. I should have said more planted to the ground

The STI does have larger wheels (17" WRX, 18" STI) which would be a benefit in snow. But if you'll have a set of winter wheels then that's a moot point.

The cost difference is about $8k which is nothing to sneeze at.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    The STI does have larger wheels (17" WRX, 18" STI) which would be a benefit in snow. But if you'll have a set of winter wheels then that's a moot point.

The cost difference is about $8k which is nothing to sneeze at.

The wheels are larger, but the WRX has larger aspect-ratio tires. Rolling diameter is nearly identical.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX

I chose the WRX because of it's value and I was on a budget. The amount of car you can get for $26k plus taxes/dealer fees is just ridiculous to me. Also, like Zax said, the operating cost for the WRX will be less just based on fuel economy/insurance alone. But, if you don't plan on modding at all and you can afford it, I would suggest the STI. Both cars feel planted and will get you through the snow with proper tires, but the STI will not drop off in power like the WRX does.

Nothing wrong with a 2011 Fiesta SE. I had that car also (rally car - sold), then I bought a 2014 Fiesta ST (also rally car, still have it) and now I have a 2014 WRX. June 24th I ordered the 2015 STi. Yep I switch cars very quick. Moral of the Story, the Ford Fiesta platform is excellent lol.

Nothing wrong with it except, It is very dangerous driving in winter even with 4 tires

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.