Questions about buying a 2011 wrx with mods
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on Questions about buying a 2011 wrx with mods within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I am located in central jersey around Princeton. I found a 2011 wrx at a dealer that was traded in. ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Fixedsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennington Nj
    Posts
    7

    Questions about buying a 2011 wrx with mods

    I am located in central jersey around Princeton. I found a 2011 wrx at a dealer that was traded in. I am a noob. The car is modded. It has a intake, catless down, exhaust, engine bay boost controller, and a older Cobb access port, maybe other things but I am no expert. The car seemed to drive fine, the TPMS was on. I am not sure what to look for with these mods, any advice would be great. Could these mods effect the reliability of the car or are the pretty safe? The car has around 44,000 miles on it and seems to be well cared for. If anyone in the area wants to inspect the car I would be happy to compensate them
    for there time.


    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User RichD514's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Medford, New York, United States
    Posts
    988
    Mods in general will affect reliability. More so if not tuned properly. Which is why most will advise against buying a modded car.

  4. #3
    Registered User Fixedsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennington Nj
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Mods in general will affect reliability. More so if not tuned properly. Which is why most will advise against buying a modded car.
    I agree with what you are saying. It seems like most of the 2011-2014 hatchbacks I have looked at have been modded. I have bought and sold many cars, it's sure is tough to find a nice used wrx with no mods.

  5. #4
    Registered User RichD514's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Medford, New York, United States
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixedsix View Post
    I agree with what you are saying. It seems like most of the 2011-2014 hatchbacks I have looked at have been modded. I have bought and sold many cars, it's sure is tough to find a nice used wrx with no mods.
    I've got a nice unmolested '12 wrx hatch.. But its not for sale

  6. #5
    The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,907
    I Support ClubWRX

    Un modded WRX/STI

    If you don't mind driving to Ma. My dealer has only un modded WRX/STI, sedans hatches whatever. Best Dealer in Ma!!
    Let me know if your interested.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

    2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

    My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

  7. #6
    Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixedsix View Post
    I am located in central jersey around Princeton. I found a 2011 wrx at a dealer that was traded in. I am a noob. The car is modded. It has a intake, catless down, exhaust, engine bay boost controller, and a older Cobb access port, maybe other things but I am no expert. The car seemed to drive fine, the TPMS was on. I am not sure what to look for with these mods, any advice would be great. Could these mods effect the reliability of the car or are the pretty safe? The car has around 44,000 miles on it and seems to be well cared for. If anyone in the area wants to inspect the car I would be happy to compensate them
    for there time. Thanks
    Part of the reason people like these cars is because they are so mod friendly. The mods you listed are not unusual or outrageous, but it is always tough when you don't know who actually installed them and how they were applied. Virtually any change in these cars requires a tune to match it. The Cobb AP is the easy tuner many of us use, but it is limited in what tunes it comes with. Pro-tunes or E-tunes can be added to match your car more accurately. You would want to know what tune is currently installed on the car (via the AP I assume) to be sure it matches up to the installed mods. If the tuning and mods don't match that can lead to real problems. I also would be concerned about the catless DP on the car - as NJ emissions could be an issue. Is the dealer willing to offer a warranty that takes into account the mods?

    I have a 2011 Stg 2 using the standard Cobb tune and consider it a reliable and powerful package. I'm sure I could get more power out, but I also want the car to last and its got plenty of power for me. I'm in Flemington if I could be of any help.

    Good luck!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

  8. #7
    Registered User Fixedsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennington Nj
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    Part of the reason people like these cars is because they are so mod friendly. The mods you listed are not unusual or outrageous, but it is always tough when you don't know who actually installed them and how they were applied. Virtually any change in these cars requires a tune to match it. The Cobb AP is the easy tuner many of us use, but it is limited in what tunes it comes with. Pro-tunes or E-tunes can be added to match your car more accurately. You would want to know what tune is currently installed on the car (via the AP I assume) to be sure it matches up to the installed mods. If the tuning and mods don't match that can lead to real problems. I also would be concerned about the catless DP on the car - as NJ emissions could be an issue. Is the dealer willing to offer a warranty that takes into account the mods?

    I have a 2011 Stg 2 using the standard Cobb tune and consider it a reliable and powerful package. I'm sure I could get more power out, but I also want the car to last and its got plenty of power for me. I'm in Flemington if I could be of any help.

    Good luck!
    This car comes with no warranty, they will send it to the auction if I don't buy it. If you want to check it out let me know. Or if you can recommend a shop to give it a check up let me know.

  9. #8
    Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    785
    Check my PM
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •