Buying a Subie, these are my options!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buying a Subie, these are my options! within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey guys! First post here, just signed up and was wondering if you guys could help me out! So I ...

Question Buying a Subie, these are my options!

Hey guys!
    First post here, just signed up and was wondering if you guys could help me out!
    So I live in Utah, and when it snows it snows. That's one of the reasons I picked Subaru as my make of choice, the AWD. I also love the look of them and their insane performance, I'm looking at WRX's; mostly the bugeyes, and the blobeyes. (Can't afford an STI xD)
    I've been browsing the local car listings and have found a few cars that I'm really interested in!
    I was just wondering if you guys had any comments, or any advice.
    I've read most of the stickies prior to signing up!

This is my first choice: 05 WRX with 91k miles, the price is up there for me, it's pushing my budget but I'd be able to do it...
    2005 Subaru Impreza | ksl.com

My second is this 02 WRX with 135k miles, the miles are a little high, but the price is almost too good...
    2002 Subaru Impreza | ksl.com

Here are the other few I'm really interested in:
    https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/add-favorite/1505096
    2003 Subaru Impreza | ksl.com
    2003 Subaru Impreza | ksl.com
    2005 Subaru WRX | ksl.com

I really like the hatchbacks, but the sedans are appealing as well.

Thanks for reading my post, I'm excited to read all your replies!!
    -Pijus

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pijus801 View Post
    I was just wondering if you guys had any comments, or any advice.
    I've read most of the stickies prior to signing up!
    Then you’ll know to find an unmodified car with a documented full service history using preferably authentic parts, and that every 105K there is a timing belt service due that can be very costly if you don’t DIY.

This is my first choice: 05 WRX with 91k miles, the price is up there for me, it's pushing my budget but I'd be able to do it...
    No engine bay pics.
    Not enough info.
    There is no such thing as a short shift clutch. It has at least one modification, a short shifter, and it may have others. Can't tell.

My second is this 02 WRX with 135k miles, the miles are a little high, but the price is almost too good...
    2002 Subaru Impreza | ksl.com
    Very early 2002 model, potentially late 2001 manufacture date (see colour, coolant overflow reservoir above turbo).
    Poor engine pic; suspect modified and returned to stock (see BPV and suspect missing cover for boost solenoid).

This one really caught my attention.
    This is the most remarkable car of the lot.
    Modified.
    I suspect that the owner apparently faces significant cognitive or developmental challenges.

Modified.

Modified.

Modified.

Modified.

No engine bay pic; not enough info.

Of all the above I’d look at the first one and the last one listed firstly, though there isn't enough info and they lack engine bay pics, and I'd walk away from anything without a full documented service history (receipts). Anything modified I'd not go see.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Of all the above Id look at the first one and the last one listed firstly, though there isn't enough info and they lack engine bay pics, and I'd walk away from anything without a full documented service history (receipts). Anything modified I'd not go see.
    Thanks so much for the reply.
    I think on the 05 WRX (Black Hatch) he meant that it's a short throw shifter.
    I'll definitely go check that one out, it's from a dealer too so they'll let me know a lot more than most private sellers, I'll also take it to my mechanic before I decide on buying it.
    But you're right, that blue 05' wrx is perfection xD Hahahha

What mods are okay?
    Because it's really hard finding WRX that aren't modded here, because mostly everyone who owns them does everything they can to make it look "better" or perform "better"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pijus801 View Post
    But you're right, that blue 05' wrx is perfection xD Hahahha
    Fitting different headlamps and then going and darkening them -- the HEADLAMPS!!! -- isn't something I'd do...

What mods are okay?
    No mods at all, and every mod under the sun. It's contextual. If I knew the seller and trusted their abilities and conscience I'd look at the car very differently than if I didn't. In your case, you know nothing about the seller or the car. So I'd go for zero mods, all receipts, all authentic Subaru parts.

You could find a car with a full service history, all authentic parts, single owner, 30k miles, for $5K USD and have it checked by two independent mechanics, a dealer, and NASA. You could then buy it and it may blow up into flames on the way home. There are no guarantees. However the closer you stay to a car with zero mods and documented full service history, the better your chances could be that the above scenario doesn't come true. There's risk and the money is not insignificant.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	156489 that's the engine pic of the sedan, the last one listed. 135k 05 black sedan.

[QUOTE=Pijus801;135k 05 black sedan.[/QUOTE] Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	156497

I Support ClubWRX
    Suspect modified and returned to stock.

Not trying to be annoying or sarcastic,
    but for learning purposes; how would I tell?
    The super clean engine/bay?

I Support ClubWRX
    Look closely at an engine bay with authentic parts and compare, like for like. On the final car, obviously the radiator is changed, but that's not unusual. What's unusual is that I think the cover for the boost control solenoid is missing, and the plumbing for the fuel near the firewall is fancier than I recall.

Looking at the picture of the turbo it'd be interesting to compare heat shield arrangement vs. correct stock for that year.

That is my reasoning. Since I not there and have limited experience I stated "suspect." However I tend to err on the side of uptight safety.

Much obliged
    I think it's worth checking out! Do you think 135k miles is okay?
    It's a little high but I hear they last a long time if correctly maintained!

I Support ClubWRX

Buying a Subie, these are my options!

At 135K expect:

1 timing belt, preferably with water pump, tensioner, and rollers.

18 oil changes.

9 air filters, minimum 4.

4 changes coolant if it is green. If blue, 1 minimum.

4 changes gear oil and brake fluid.

1 set ancillary belts.

Two sets of spark plugs.

The miles should be routine if the owner was responsible and sensible. If not then anything could go wrong.

Go through the paperwork. What's not written doesn't exist.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-08-2014 at 11:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.