2015 WRX advice

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX advice within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm currently in the market for a new car, and live in Canada where the snow gets somewhat deep in ...

2015 WRX advice

I'm currently in the market for a new car, and live in Canada where the snow gets somewhat deep in the residential areas at times. Is the 2015 WRX capable of handling somewhat deep snow with a good set of dedicated snow tires?
    Can someone try and sell me on the car because really the only thing I'm worried about is the ground clearance in terms of snow and curbs. I currently drive a rav4.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX's are the absolute best thing to drive in the winter. If you get some good snow tires you'll have no problem. They not only perform incredibly in the snow but they are tons of fun You'll have no problem with clearance, just don't lower it. The only thing I find I have to watch out for is is the front lip when there is ice frozen to the curb at the end of my driveway. As long as your careful though its fine. If your coming from a rav4 though you'll have to go easier on the potholes. Stock wrx suspension does not like potholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittney View Post
    WRX's are the absolute best thing to drive in the winter. If you get some good snow tires you'll have no problem. They not only perform incredibly in the snow but they are tons of fun You'll have no problem with clearance, just don't lower it. The only thing I find I have to watch out for is is the front lip when there is ice frozen to the curb at the end of my driveway. As long as your careful though its fine. If your coming from a rav4 though you'll have to go easier on the potholes. Stock wrx suspension does not like potholes.
    Yeah I'm wondering because the 2015 is 4.9 in while the 2014 and Lower was about 6.1 in.... In my area my neighbors g37 got stuck and that's about 5.1 in.

i ralley plowed thru foot thick drifts with a inexpensive set of firestone winterforce unstudded snow tires in my 02. no problem at all...and i dont have traction controll. dont need it either. but yeah, watch the nasty pot holes, could crack a rim(anybody else has the same problem including new pickups with lower profile tires) and bashing curbs covered in soft snow. you'll be having to much fun to worry about the rest!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney View Post
    While this is not entirely true, I can't vouch for the 2015. A note, the 2015 is over 1" lower to the ground than the 2008-2014 GR models.

I do own a 2014 hatch and considering how horrendous the past winter was, I was out in inclement weather multiple times and it performed like a champ. I run 16" wheels off a 2004 WRX (compatibility with the 5x100 bolt pattern) with 205/55/16 General Altimax Arctic tires. Not only was it a beast when needed, my fiance, who was VERY against getting the spare set for winter (read: not a car person and didn't understand yet) was convinced and now wants some when she gets her next car. The AWD will help as well, but honestly it's the winter tires that will do the most for you in the snow and ice.

If I'm going to recommend a vehicle for Canada and you must have AWD, I'd honestly go Forester XT over a 2015 WRX because of the ground clearance, but if you want the performance, a WRX will not steer you wrong.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Thanks, yeah still being a teenager ish I'm really wanting to get into a more performance oriented vehicle in addition looking at the local car scene, however the change in ground clearance is really the only big factor I'm afraid of. Yeah the Forester xt is the next thing I'm looking for but I may have to go down for a test drive to be absolutely sure I'm crossing the wrx off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    While this is not entirely true, I can't vouch for the 2015. A note, the 2015 is over 1" lower to the ground than the 2008-2014 GR models.

I do own a 2014 hatch and considering how horrendous the past winter was, I was out in inclement weather multiple times and it performed like a champ. I run 16" wheels off a 2004 WRX (compatibility with the 5x100 bolt pattern) with 205/55/16 General Altimax Arctic tires. Not only was it a beast when needed, my fiance, who was VERY against getting the spare set for winter (read: not a car person and didn't understand yet) was convinced and now wants some when she gets her next car. The AWD will help as well, but honestly it's the winter tires that will do the most for you in the snow and ice.

If I'm going to recommend a vehicle for Canada and you must have AWD, I'd honestly go Forester XT over a 2015 WRX because of the ground clearance, but if you want the performance, a WRX will not steer you wrong.
    Have to agree. Regardless of car/pickup/SUV a set of snows in the winter is your friend. And about the Forrester xt, the only other car I was looking at instead of a WRX. Oddly though...what's the first mod for a hole lot of older forester xt owners? Drop kit....
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Being a Teenager ish, you should consider a naturally aspirated Outback.

Also, I can't imagine how you'd expect to pay for all the incidentals even if your parents are [presumably] purchasing the car...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I am able to handle the insurance costs and really I'm not really in a position to mod my cars unless you count getting new wheels and slapping on some decals as mods. But yeah I see hat you mean when forester owners lower their car, ideally I'd get it to 6-7 in from the stock 8

Stickers=50 HP over stock!

At least that's what the Honda drivers around here tell me hahahahah
    Rob