First time buying a new vehicle (and STI) - Need your advice!

This is a discussion on First time buying a new vehicle (and STI) - Need your advice! within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hi everyone, After many years of fighting with my 00' GTI 1.8T, it's time to move on and get a ...

First time buying a new vehicle (and STI) - Need your advice!

Hi everyone,

After many years of fighting with my 00' GTI 1.8T, it's time to move on and get a replacement that fits my need. I used to participate in autocross and tracking events and I plan on doing that in my STI as well.

I walked in to a dealership in Oakland, CA yesterday to try out the new 2015 WRX and STI. They handled very good and had lots of power in them, but I was shocked to find out that they priced all of WRX lines with a mark up. I am mainly eyeing on the limited variant of each vehicle and they all had at least $7500 markup on top of the MSRP. Is this normal? Without much talking, the salesman knocked $5k down from the added $10k non sense but he told me Subaru isn't making these fast enough hence the price stays above the MSRP.

I am not in a huge rush to purchase a vehicle right away but is it always the case that Subarus are sold higher than their MSRP? I also have a co-worker here that recently purchased the BRZ and although he did not have to pay the MSRP, (he bought the 13' model when 14 came out) he was able to only move the price down by hundreds. (This was the base model though)

Your thoughts is greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a specific time I should hold off to buy, I'd love to hear your advice on it as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

goto a differnet subaru dealership, there shouldnt only be one close by. if u have to, try a few others aswell. if for some ridiculous reason they're all doing this, go back and forth between two telling each other the others ones price until YOU are happy. their #1 goal is to sell cars.
    if u dont feel like doing all that, you should be able to talk one of them down to msrp without much effort

Quote Originally Posted by dlpowered89 View Post
    Hi everyone,

After many years of fighting with my 00' GTI 1.8T, it's time to move on and get a replacement that fits my need. I used to participate in autocross and tracking events and I plan on doing that in my STI as well.

I walked in to a dealership in Oakland, CA yesterday to try out the new 2015 WRX and STI. They handled very good and had lots of power in them, but I was shocked to find out that they priced all of WRX lines with a mark up. I am mainly eyeing on the limited variant of each vehicle and they all had at least $7500 markup on top of the MSRP. Is this normal? Without much talking, the salesman knocked $5k down from the added $10k non sense but he told me Subaru isn't making these fast enough hence the price stays above the MSRP.

I am not in a huge rush to purchase a vehicle right away but is it always the case that Subarus are sold higher than their MSRP? I also have a co-worker here that recently purchased the BRZ and although he did not have to pay the MSRP, (he bought the 13' model when 14 came out) he was able to only move the price down by hundreds. (This was the base model though)

Your thoughts is greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a specific time I should hold off to buy, I'd love to hear your advice on it as well.

Thanks in advance.
    If you are not in a hurry, just look around on official Subaru sites and order from there, I got one from Clayton (at Ramsey Subaru) at a great price (below MSRP), but he is in NJ. Also I saw Clint from Heuberger Subaru (Colorado Springs, Co) has great prices he is at iwsti.com. Order from them and just have the car shipped. Or take a nice trip and use the drive for the brake in.

Kinda crazy how there is a dealer right by my house but people are seriously asking me to consider the option you've suggested. I am in no rush to purchase a vehicle right away but I am unsure how long shortages will continue.