Squeaky clutch / cracked firewall big deal?

This is a discussion on Squeaky clutch / cracked firewall big deal? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey guys, I found a WRX that I like and I test drove it but it has a squeaky clutch. ...

Squeaky clutch / cracked firewall big deal?

Hey guys,

I found a WRX that I like and I test drove it but it has a squeaky clutch. When I pushed the clutch down you could hear it squeak. I researched it and found that a lot of wrx's have this issue and apparently the firewall typically cracks and it needs to be welded to be fixed. Now, I'm guessing that this one had that issue but I couldn't take apart the whole dash to look at it. I'm wondering how big of a deal this is.... it might drive me crazy after a while but other than that the car was in good shape. It's a 2008 with 116,000 miles and asking price is $12,995. plus they said they would do the timing belt and water pump for $200 because that hasn't been done.... the car has an invidia exhaust and was rust free, no accidents, etc.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It all depends, if you were to take it to a Subaru dealership it would be around $1200 for the firewall weld repair. My 08 has 45k miles and my clutch squeaks, but you can certainly hear the creaking or cracking noise if it was indeed broken firewall weld(s). I believe mine is just a squeak, not too concerned. SOA was warrantying the issue, not sure if this is still the case or not. However, if you do the fix yourself and tear the whole dash apart, you can permanently fix the issue by drilling through the clutch plate into the firewall and locking it down. I'm pretty sure if they were just to weld them back up you would have the same problem down the road. I would let them know about it and possibly get it fixed before you buy it. Good luck!

Take the window cowl and wiper motor out and you'll see them

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

when my clutch started squeaking its cause it was about to go out. the carbon peices were getting stuck in the throwout bearing if i remember right.
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

Cool those are some good ideas. They said the car comes with a warranty that's 50/50 on problems so if it is the firewall they would charge half the cost probably. Also, I think they work with a subaru dealership who might even give us a better deal. OR like Mitch08WRX said I could fix it myself... the car seemed in good condition besides those problems. I suppose if they were to fix those issues it might not be a bad deal after all.

Would you guys worry about the blow off valve, exhaust, shift knob and aftermarket rims as mods done to the car? I don't see any big issues with those.

Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    when my clutch started squeaking its cause it was about to go out. the carbon peices were getting stuck in the throwout bearing if i remember right.
    Was your clutch squeaking when you pressed it down and did the noise happen consistently from inside the car? I hope that the clutch isn't going because that would be a deal breaker

I don't know much about blow off valves.. but I would certainly buy OEM if you did buy the car. I know some are better than others. Depending on what you mean by exhaust, a catback I would not be concerned about as they are just for noise. If the car was or IS stage 2 with a down pipe, you then have to be concerned if the car was tuned properly and not on its last leg. A compression and leak down test would tell you the health of the motor. Shift knob and rims are nothing to be concerned about either, just cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    I don't know much about blow off valves.. but I would certainly buy OEM if you did buy the car. I know some are better than others. Depending on what you mean by exhaust, a catback I would not be concerned about as they are just for noise. If the car was or IS stage 2 with a down pipe, you then have to be concerned if the car was tuned properly and not on its last leg. A compression and leak down test would tell you the health of the motor. Shift knob and rims are nothing to be concerned about either, just cosmetic.
    Good information. Thank you so much. What is a down pipe exactly? Is that the part of the exhaust that goes from the headers all the way down before the cat? If so, the car did have a down pipe because it was an exhaust that was before and after the cat. If that makes sense haha. But yeah I'm worried that the ecu was flashed and it's been running hard for the past 116 k miles...

The downpipe bolts directly to the back of the turbo and the up pipe bolts underneath from the headers to the turbo

Quote Originally Posted by tvbuster View Post
    Was your clutch squeaking when you pressed it down and did the noise happen consistently from inside the car? I hope that the clutch isn't going because that would be a deal breaker
    Yes, it squeaked when i pressed down and let up. i could barely hear with the music up but if i turned the music off and rolled down the window i could hear it very well....
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

Yes, it squeaked when i pressed down and let up. i could barely hear with the music up but if i turned the music off and rolled down the window i could hear it very well....
    My clutch squeaks a good amount if it's humid enough or raining for a while. don't know if it's the firewall or the spring on the pedal. but mine again also did this for a while then one day it makes a popping noise and you could feel it. If it sounds like a chirping noise it's likely the throw out bearing which are known for making that noise and shouldn't be a problem

this weekend i attempted to fix the welds myself with a buddy on my GF 2008 WRX.
    whole process took about 4 1/2-5 hours. i have never taken a 2008+ dash out.
    i only seen 3 crack the 2 main top welds were really bad. so i drilled them out and put bolts and washer threw it. for additional and prevention i tack welded the nut to the threads so the nut can never loosen up. only think that i got caught up on was the DASH air bag. but i found you can take out 2 10mm bolts that hold it to a bracket and you can remove the dash with ease.

you can see the crack. once i did 1 bolt the noise/cracking sound went away. i still went ahead and did the next weld over.
    the far left weld. i didn't drill out only cause i couldn't find where it went. so i didn't want to drill into something or hit wires.
    once i had the 2 bolts in no more brake pedal movement when compressing the clutch and no more noise.
    i did re weld the far left weld but the 2 bolts itself fixed OUR issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bmxhotsauce View Post
    this weekend i attempted to fix the welds myself with a buddy on my GF 2008 WRX.
    whole process took about 4 1/2-5 hours. i have never taken a 2008+ dash out.
    i only seen 3 crack the 2 main top welds were really bad. so i drilled them out and put bolts and washer threw it. for additional and prevention i tack welded the nut to the threads so the nut can never loosen up. only think that i got caught up on was the DASH air bag. but i found you can take out 2 10mm bolts that hold it to a bracket and you can remove the dash with ease.

you can see the crack. once i did 1 bolt the noise/cracking sound went away. i still went ahead and did the next weld over.
    the far left weld. i didn't drill out only cause i couldn't find where it went. so i didn't want to drill into something or hit wires.
    once i had the 2 bolts in no more brake pedal movement when compressing the clutch and no more noise.
    i did re weld the far left weld but the 2 bolts itself fixed OUR issue.
    Glad you fixed the issue and saved yourself some money! 4-5 hours with a friend is pretty good time, I thought it would be worse. I'm pretty sure my time is coming to do this, thanks for the info man!