Looking to Upgrade

This is a discussion on Looking to Upgrade within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hi Everyone, I have 2002 WRX which recently sustained some hail damage. I plan on making a claim on the ...

Looking to Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I have 2002 WRX which recently sustained some hail damage. I plan on making a claim on the car and then selling it to upgrade to a newer model. I'm thinking a 2008 and up. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which newer year model might be good to shoot for as far as having the kinks worked out of them and quality wise? I have been a WRX / STI enthusiast for a while but I have heard about different models having different problems until they fix the issues with newer models. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    '02 WRX Bugeye; Midnight Blue / Black Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have 2002 WRX which recently sustained some hail damage. I plan on making a claim on the car and then selling it to upgrade to a newer model. I'm thinking a 2008 and up. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which newer year model might be good to shoot for as far as having the kinks worked out of them and quality wise? I have been a WRX / STI enthusiast for a while but I have heard about different models having different problems until they fix the issues with newer models. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Would you be willing to buy a 2015 and make payments? Because that's honestly the best one so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Early third gens spin bearings and break clutch welds

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

09 and up have the bigger turbo. And the 11+ have the widebodies. There are some stories of the firewall welds breaking but I dont remember which years were effected.

I would stay away from the 08-10 WRX models (not sure about the STI). I have an 08 WRX in which I swapped to a bigger OEM turbo (same as the 2009+) but recently tore the whole dash apart just to fix the common broken clutch welds as said above. Had the choice to take it to Subaru and get it fixed for $1100, no thanks. I know the 2008 STI had motor issues as well. Honestly, if I were you, get a 2011+ if you can afford it. Better yet.. get a 15' STI

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    I would stay away from the 08-10 WRX models (not sure about the STI). I have an 08 WRX in which I swapped to a bigger OEM turbo (same as the 2009+) but recently tore the whole dash apart just to fix the common broken clutch welds as said above. Had the choice to take it to Subaru and get it fixed for $1100, no thanks. I know the 2008 STI had motor issues as well. Honestly, if I were you, get a 2011+ if you can afford it. Better yet.. get a 15' STI
    2015 wrx or sti all the way.

I'm considering trading up to an 11+ myself. I also own an 08 but I don't have the time or skill to be repairing welds if I come across the problem.

Wow I appreciate all the responses. Thank you all for your input. Good to know about the 08-10 models. I honestly would love to have a 2015 model either WRX or STI but really don't want to be spending that much. I have no problem making payments on something I just don't want it to be a brand new car. I do like the wide bodies more. So I guess more along the lines of a 2011 model is what I am looking at (to avoid the issues mentioned), otherwise I guess I'll look in the 2006 / 2007 possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by WRidesX View Post
    Wow I appreciate all the responses. Thank you all for your input. Good to know about the 08-10 models. I honestly would love to have a 2015 model either WRX or STI but really don't want to be spending that much. I have no problem making payments on something I just don't want it to be a brand new car. I do like the wide bodies more. So I guess more along the lines of a 2011 model is what I am looking at (to avoid the issues mentioned), otherwise I guess I'll look in the 2006 / 2007 possibilities.
    2005 or 06 Sti.

Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    2005 or 06 Sti.

I think if I can't find a 2011 wrx for a good price then I'll go for an 06 STI