Wrx commuter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx commuter? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hi all. Excited to possibly join the family but need to sanity check my logic. Currently live in Brooklyn and ...

Wrx commuter?

Hi all. Excited to possibly join the family but need to sanity check my logic. Currently live in Brooklyn and commute to the city for work via NYC trains. Have no need for a car. My wife works close to home and drives the family car about 10 minutes each way. We have a 2014 q7 and a pair of 1 year old twins.

We are moving to the suburbs up north shortly and I need a car to drive about 15 minutes from the house to the train station daily. Winters can be rough so awd is a must. I cannot miss work.

I don't want another SUV since we already have a q7 tank that the wife will drive to work. This will bet errand car and commuter.

I came into the dealer today looking at the forester and crosstek. Forester is too big for my needs and crosstek is too sluggish even though I LOVE the price point and ground clearance.

Then test drive the wrx and fell in love. Hard to justify the need for the power. The car sits much lower. Only comes with summer wheels. And about 8k more.

So the question is, with it sitting about 4 inches lower than a crosstek will it make it through rough snow that the much weaker crosstek can? Is the wrx overkill for what I need?

All things being even, I want one, but need to be sure it can get the job done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You won't regret it. I did fine traveling ny to nj on a daily even during snow. I actually enjoyed it. I drove the forester base and the crosstrek base (loaner cars when my car went for service) and I wasn't too impressed. I just liked the fact I was higher. I'm sure they're a great car to get you to point a to point b even during northeast winter.

If finance says yes, go wrx. You get your needs taken care of with the fun factor added.

I haven't driven the Forster XT, but I heard the fun factor is there.

Welcome btw and GL

A friend and I discussed the power issue with the WRX. I have a '13 and he's ordered a '15 (coming for a GTI) and the consensus for he and I at least was: I rarely use the power, driving like a grandpa normally and short shifting most gears but it's SO nice to have it when I need/want it for passing, pulling onto freeways with short on-ramps, and, of course, just for funsies or to make my GF squeal. Ok, that last bit wasn't consensus, just my thought but all the rest happened!
    GF does have an OB but with the smaller motor and a coworker has the 3.6 and says it has plenty of power while I find the GF's a little gutless but still very pleasant to drive when I don't need the power. Also, compared to my base WRX, the OB seems very luxurious, quiet and comfy. I'm a fan of both.

And welcome to the board!

EDIT: Have never driven the WRX in the snow and have only had Summer tires on it. Drove the GF's OB with A/S tires over Donner Summit in the Sierras in a blizzard this last December and was very impressed and pleased with how it handled.
    Last edited by Zataks; 05-24-2014 at 08:44 AM.

I live in Cleveland and we tend to have bad winters. Granted, this is the first year with my car, but I haven't had any issue with ground clearance. Actually, the car has been nothing short of incredible. You can hear all day long how great these cars are in the snow, but until you experience it yourself, you have no idea! And unless you think you need SUV-like ground clearance, I wouldn't let it stop you.

It sounds like you realize this, but winter tires are a must.

Also, I walk to work and for the most part, only drive my WRX to the gym which is 4 miles round trip everyday.

Overkill? Maybe.

Do I regret it? No way!
    2014 WRB WRX

With proper winter tires a WRX can handle most conditions... I had mine living in Tahoe when we got 800 inches of snow... no issues ever. There were days where I'd have to dig out the sides of the car so I could open the doors to get in... but then just put it in reverse and drove straight out.

The WRX fits your requirements. As long as you can afford it there should be no problems. Anything more than 6 inches of snow and all cars with standard tires have problems. Buy a set of steel rims and snow tires and you will be fine. Using two sets of tires really extends the life of them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure how much up north you're going but I get quite easily from Yonkers to the subway station in my WRX. Of course with a set of winter tires.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I live in the woods in Maine. I have never been stuck. I drive a 2003 WRX Sedan.

I'm from Michigan and this past winter we got hit hard with snow. Not once was I stuck, or found myself in a dilemma. Coming from a FWD car, I just ran my summer tires through the winter and was still happy with the AWD. At this point I see no point in buying winter tires/wheels, but many will tell you different. Good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    I'm from Michigan and this past winter we got hit hard with snow. Not once was I stuck, or found myself in a dilemma. Coming from a FWD car, I just ran my summer tires through the winter and was still happy with the AWD. At this point I see no point in buying winter tires/wheels, but many will tell you different. Good luck!
    To me, snow tires aren't about getting stuck, they're about stopping/turning/preventing accidents. I got caught in a blizzard with my old evo x with summer tires and had to go <20mph on the highway because I was sliding all over the place. This was during a road trip so I actually ended up getting a motel for the night. The next morning after 3ft of snow, I had no problem driving out of my parking spot with summers.

It's a little tank in snow, no issues, and we had a pretty good winter in NE. I would go with winters/steelies for sure. Talked with a few local folks who got caught with their pants down using the summers when the snow really flew.... not pretty...can you say tow.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Thanks all for all the replies. So the next question really requires honesty lol. Will the crosstrek with the weak engine get it done or do I need more?

As a reference I am moving from Brooklyn to north westchester btw.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

We had a pretty bad winter here in PA. We got a ton of snow and my wife had ZERO issues getting back and forth to work in her 02 WRX. Initially I was not sure if the WRX would be as good in the snow as advertised and I'm happy to say that it was everything I hoped it would be when I gave the car to my wife.
    Greg
    2002 WRX wagon bone stock 57,000 original miles
    68 Firebird 428, 4 speed, 12 bolt rear w 3:73 gears
    29 Ford Pickup 350, Tremec 5 speed, 9" rear 3:89 gears

Quote Originally Posted by ThePerchik View Post
    Thanks all for all the replies. So the next question really requires honesty lol. Will the crosstrek with the weak engine get it done or do I need more?
    That's a question only you can answer for yourself. For me, no, though I'd be okay with a FXT. It's hard for me to imagine owning anything that isn't turbo'd at this point. Unless it was large displacement and even then I think I'd prefer blown.

EDIT: punctuation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast