Wrx commuter? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Wrx commuter? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; gizmo-- Point taken. I used getting stuck for an example, obviously I am commuting with the summer tires on and ...

gizmo--

Point taken. I used getting stuck for an example, obviously I am commuting with the summer tires on and my objective is not just to "plow snow" and hope to not get stuck. I do a lot of highway driving and commute to work on poorly plowed back roads as well. Considering a person like myself who leaves enough time to get somewhere in the winter, I just slow down and that eliminates most of the problem. I'm not saying they wouldn't be extremely helpful, but I have never had any problems stopping, turning, etc. in over 3 years. But that is just me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    I'm from Michigan and this past winter we got hit hard with snow. Not once was I stuck, or found myself in a dilemma. Coming from a FWD car, I just ran my summer tires through the winter and was still happy with the AWD. At this point I see no point in buying winter tires/wheels, but many will tell you different. Good luck!
    FAIL

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    gizmo--

Point taken. I used getting stuck for an example, obviously I am commuting with the summer tires on and my objective is not just to "plow snow" and hope to not get stuck. I do a lot of highway driving and commute to work on poorly plowed back roads as well. Considering a person like myself who leaves enough time to get somewhere in the winter, I just slow down and that eliminates most of the problem. I'm not saying they wouldn't be extremely helpful, but I have never had any problems stopping, turning, etc. in over 3 years. But that is just me.
    That is pretty impressive. This past winter on the first day of snow I was sliding through red lights in a slow residential zone. After that I didnt drive the car until I put the blizzaks on.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    With winter tires I like the low clearance because it moves more snow off the drive when I blow through it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ThePerchik View Post
    Thanks all for all the replies. So the next question really requires honesty lol. Will the crosstrek with the weak engine get it done or do I need more?

As a reference I am moving from Brooklyn to north westchester btw.

Again, thanks for all the replies.
    As long as it's financially possible, I'd get the WRX and here's why. Simply in two words: they're cool. Bottom line. Look the road is full of blah cars. Do you want to add yourself to that group or be distinguished? About a year ago my wife's 04 CR-V lost a battle with a deer. Once the insurance company totaled the car out we decided that we didn't want a car payment. So the plan we came up with was she would take my 02 4 Runner and I'd buy a cheap beater to drive to work since I live 8 miles from work and I have 2 classic cars in my garage.

I went out and bought a 94 Jeep Wrangler. I've always loved the Wranglers and loved the idea of rocking my Jeep with the top off in the summer. I drove the Jeep and LOVED it but they are NOT a comfortable vehicle. I bounced around in that Jeep like nobody's business but this was the choice I made so I had to live with it. Then, at a family BBQ last summer, I was telling the story of the totaled Honda and the Jeep to a family friend. He said why not sell the Jeep and buy our WRX....turns out his wife bought a brand new WRX wagon in 02. She has always loved Subaru's and went with a WRX because she loved how sporty it was. Since they are currently retired the WRX really saw limited miles. I scored it last year with 57,000 original miles on the odometer. I have to say I was NEVER a tuner guy or WRX guy. I've always been a V8 Musclecar guy. I have a 68 Firebird with a 428 and a 29 ford street rod pickup to cruise so tuner cars were never on my radar. That being said I really liked the WRX. I gotta admit that it's a blast to drive and it had suprising power.

After bringing the WRX home my wife would use it occasionally and began to take a liking to it. Long story short she basically took it from me. I got my 4Runner back and the WRX is now her daily driver and she frigging LOVES it. She has a blast driving this car and as a 42 year old wife and mother of 2 she really thinks she's cool. She has had a lot of young kids give her a thumbs up and even had a couple of punks in a Honda Civic try to race her.

Dude trust me, life's too short to drive a boring car.
    Greg
    2002 WRX wagon bone stock 57,000 original miles
    68 Firebird 428, 4 speed, 12 bolt rear w 3:73 gears
    29 Ford Pickup 350, Tremec 5 speed, 9" rear 3:89 gears

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks all for all the replies. So the next question really requires honesty lol. Will the crosstrek with the weak engine get it done or do I need more?

As a reference I am moving from Brooklyn to north westchester btw.

Again, thanks for all the replies.
    Only you can answer this, but I'll lend my opinion. I had a 2003 WRX with some modifications and a tune. It had roughly 250hp at the crank. Now I drive an 3.0R Outback, which also has about 250hp. Going from these cars to a CrossTrek loaner car I had for a weekend was obnoxious, since I'm used to vehicles with double the horsepower.

Had I not been previously spoiled by much more powerful vehicles, I think I would have liked the CrossTrek more. I would definitely get the manual version, since the CVT is a dog, and probably the worst CVT I've ever driven. The CVTs in the WRX, Forester XT, (and very soon, the Legacy/Outback) are reportedly much better.

Other things I didn't like about the CrossTrek: the ride is quite harsh. It felt like my WRX with aftermarket suspension, but handled worse than my Outback. The Outback is no canyon-carver, but at least it has excellent ride comfort. The interior was typically low-rent (par for the course with Subaru, but might be a factor if you're used to the Q7). One positive is the CrossTrek consistently achieved more than 28mpg in my driving, much better than my WRX or Outback ever get.

A WRX with snow tires and responsible driving will handle just about any weather condition you throw at it. The limiting factor is ground clearance, but I took my WRX on snowy forest service roads and literally drove circles around the Jeeps getting stuck. My Outback, with more clearance, easily managed 1' of unplowed powder on the road.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    A WRX with snow tires and responsible driving will handle just about any weather condition you throw at it. The limiting factor is ground clearance, but I took my WRX on snowy forest service roads and literally drove circles around the Jeeps getting stuck.
    This is so true. I live in Quebec Canada, and it was the first day of snow that I got my WRX. Coming from a Corolla, I could feel the difference of FWD VS AWD in addition to the power output. The snow we have here is pretty bad, but the WRX handled it like a champ especially on icy roads. Most cars would slip standstill while I just roll. WRX stock, you'll handle all of everyday weather and road conditions. As for the power, it's a bonus and you can definitely have some fun but be responsible as Rambo stated.
    Midnight~

I am a former Outback owner - loved that car. But the WRX is an Outback on steroids. I agree - once you go turbo, you'll never go back.

I have all-season tires on mine - great for summer, so-so for winter, but I had no problems driving in the Midwest, even frequent trips to Minneapolis with their near-record snowfall.

I plan to drive this current tire set through the summer then get a set of Blizzaks with rims. Then I'm ready for anything Mother Nature throws at me.

Bottom line - you will love the WRX as a daily driver and really appreciate it in the winter, when RWD Beemers and Corvettes etc can't do crap. I like the design of the Crosstrek - if they would put out a turbo version, I'd definitely consider it. Til then...WRX all the way.

Thanks all for the replies and feedback. Test drove and showed the wife and she is having a coronary over this wrx for some reason. She wants me to get the g37x!?! Her view is thAt it's less pocket rocket and more "respectable". I'm in the camp that I'm 30 and don't really give a flying f@&$ what people think lol.

I have about 8 weeks till the move, will be starting a brainwashing campaign now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Meh. I'm 37. I drive my car to LI from Westchester most days.Respectable? There is no such thing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks all for the replies and feedback. Test drove and showed the wife and she is having a coronary over this wrx for some reason. She wants me to get the g37x!?! Her view is thAt it's less pocket rocket and more "respectable". I'm in the camp that I'm 30 and don't really give a flying f@&$ what people think lol.

I have about 8 weeks till the move, will be starting a brainwashing campaign now.
    Meh. My wife also likes the luxury car segment. Luxury cars are not my thing. Solution? I get my STi she gets an Infiniti FX35. I could care less about the Infiniti.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Wrx commuter?

I'm 45 and do a 100 mile round trip every day in my WRX..no way do I want an old man car

I had a 98 OBW and an 06 Legacy. Both NA and they were just fine in the heavy snow we get here (near Buffalo) ran 2 sets of wheels/tires for the seasons. Only ever got stuck once, but I was lowered in my Legacy and got high centered.
    Guy i work with went from a WRX to a crostrek and really likes it. He said it was nice having the power, but got too many tickets.

I now have a FXT and WRX. The FXT was fantastic in the snow. My wife has to travel for work and never had any issues even when we had big snow storms this last year. I haven't had the chance to drive my WRX in snow yet, but already have a set of wheels for winter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.