Current resale value of 02-03 WRX vs KBB value
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Current resale value of 02-03 WRX vs KBB value within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I apologize for starting another 02-03 WRX value thread, but I wanted to know specifically about how it relates/differs from ...

Current resale value of 02-03 WRX vs KBB value

I apologize for starting another 02-03 WRX value thread, but I wanted to know specifically about how it relates/differs from KBB value.

According to KBB, an 02/03 WRX with 150k-170k miles should be worth $5k-$6k. But whenever I look on craigslist or auto trader, I see them listed from $8500-$12k. Many of these are unmodified and completely stock. Are they worth this much above KBB value? Or are these sellers just trying to get as much as they can? The only ones I've seen listed close to KBB value have been automatics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
    I apologize for starting another 02-03 WRX value thread, but I wanted to know specifically about how it relates/differs from KBB value.

According to KBB, an 02/03 WRX with 150k-170k miles should be worth $5k-$6k. But whenever I look on craigslist or auto trader, I see them listed from $8500-$12k. Many of these are unmodified and completely stock. Are they worth this much above KBB value? Or are these sellers just trying to get as much as they can? The only ones I've seen listed close to KBB value have been automatics.
    It's called rally tax. They think it's worth more than it really is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Sought-after vehicles tend to sell higher than the KBB projected value. Simple supply and demand.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I've been watching the values of bugeyes for awhile cuz I'm about to sell mine and the values have actualy gone UP in the past couple of years. When I bought mine in 2008 they were going for 7-9k with 80-120k mileage. The price seems to have stayed the same 6 years later but most are well over 120k and either modded up or beat to hell or both.

You can still find some really nice ones for kbb. You just need to look.

I Support ClubWRX
    The current selling prices are whatever people in your area are willing to pay for it. You can ask whatever you want for the car.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I haven't really seen any of these actually sell for these prices, but I assumed the sellers would list them for close to what they'd get for them. A few I've been watching have lowered their prices (still quite a bit higher than KBB though).

I'm in Los Angeles, do they seem to sell for higher here than anywhere else?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Regular specimens go for about 5 around here. Completely stock, mint, 1 owner, lower miles go for 10.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Regular specimens go for about 5 around here. Completely stock, mint, 1 owner, lower miles go for 10.
    When you say regular specimen, would a stock, good condition, 150k+ miles fall under that? Do you think id be able to find that in the $5k range?

No, I mean the ones that fit in rough trade in. Usually some body damage, usually been modified, painted, BOV, 150k or more, what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    No, I mean the ones that fit in rough trade in. Usually some body damage, usually been modified, painted, BOV, 150k or more, what have you.
    Ah ok, damn so for a decent one worth buying I'd be looking at close to $10k?

I've been watching a nice, stock, rally blue 03 wagon with 162k miles on Craigslist, it was listed for $9k, dropped to $8500, still sitting. KBB says it's worth just over $5k. I've seen others just like it, silver or white, automatic, in the $5k range. But of course I'm looking for a rally blue manual transmission! I know it's a desirable combo, but enough to justify $3k-$4k over KBB?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
    Ah ok, damn so for a decent one worth buying I'd be looking at close to $10k?

I've been watching a nice, stock, rally blue 03 wagon with 162k miles on Craigslist, it was listed for $9k, dropped to $8500, still sitting. KBB says it's worth just over $5k. I've seen others just like it, silver or white, automatic, in the $5k range. But of course I'm looking for a rally blue manual transmission! I know it's a desirable combo, but enough to justify $3k-$4k over KBB?
    You need to be willing to travel for a car you want. And yes I could see that car going for 8k in mint condition.

Depends on the actual miles and each individual car. But I'd say that's about average in my area. But most of the WRX's around here that are actually for sale are junk, and we have anywhere between 4 and 1 for sale at any given time. Only one or two good ones will pop up every year or so haha.

Would I pay that? probably not. Do most people pay that? probably not. I wouldn't be surprised if it is negotiated down a couple thousand to between 6 and 8. Which is what I would pay for "mint" condition low mile bugeye.

You never know until you go see the car and make an offer. Work on your negotiating skills between now and then too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.