Advise on 2002 WRX for sale

This is a discussion on Advise on 2002 WRX for sale within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello, I am a potential first-time Subaru WRX 2002 buyer and was wondering if anyone could check out this ad ...

Smile Advise on 2002 WRX for sale

Hello, I am a potential first-time Subaru WRX 2002 buyer and was wondering if anyone could check out this ad to see if everything seems good:

Subaru Wrx 2002 OBO

Comparing the asking price to KBB and other sites I feel like the asking price is over $2,000... But is this justified?

Also, for any previous 2002 owners: anything that I should be wary of??

Your advice/help is much appreciated!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Be careful with this, The pictures are making it look like it could be a scam... He "claims" this is his, but it seems to be at a dealership with the dealership plastic floor protectors on the drivers side floorboard.

Also, in general, be very careful about previously modded Subarus, ESPECIALLY when they are older. What makes me think it could have been modded (not saying it has been) is the definitely non-OEM steering wheel.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I don't see anything wrong with it. Except that it looks like it's at a dealership and he claims it's a DD.

Also if you're planning on modding it, be aware that the 2002 wrx has the weakest trans of all the wrx's. Just a heads up.

Welcome to the forums, I suggest you go through all the stickies asap and become familiar with all the subie tech!

Thanks for the input. Is this steering not stock? I assumed that the Momo came stock with the '02. And the plastic floor protectors are pretty suspect.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    That is definitely the correct steering wheel. Those came stock.

The third pic looks like a different car lol. It has an aftermarket front lip whereas in all the other pictures it dosn't have that.

Honestly, if everything in the ad is true it's definitely one to go look at. Scope it out, look for the signs of previous modification, ask for receipts, get a leakdown test. I would definitely consider it.

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

I Support ClubWRX
    The car is a late 2001 or early 2002 model that has had its radiator replaced at least once. It is possible the nose has been resprayed. It has the factory alarm system. At that age, the spark plugs should have been changed twice (60K, 120K), the gear oil four times, the motor oil over 20 times, and the timing belt once.

Get receipts for all of that.

Don't buy it without a smog certificate.

See whether it's been resprayed and if so find out why.

As stated find out why it's got a different lip in one picture than the other.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So, I'm texting the dude and he just told me that he bought it from a used dealership. Thus, the two photos he included were from the used dealership (you can see the plates). The most recent photo being the third photo with the aftermarket lip--he confirmed that he took that off. I guess that's not considered modifying the car...
    He also claims to have NO receipts on any of the "professional maintenance" that's been done...
    I'm quite skeptical now...

I Support ClubWRX
    When I replaced my timing belt I remember being impressed by how similar to the new belt the old belt looked. Therefore, without receipts, I could not assume the timing belt has been replaced -- so it'd be overdue and an additional expense. If you don't DIY and you elect to replace seals, fluids, the water pump, the thermostat, all rollers, maybe the external belts, the tensioner, etc., you could spend over $1K.

That's more money than I make in an hour, so I'd be extra skeptical.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Honestly, buying any used car comes at a risk. Even from a dealership. A unmolested wrx is hard to come by. If everything is legit you'd be winning out. No receipts shouldn't be a deal breaker, I don't have receipts for my work either. But if it's off putting for you, keep looking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So the dude "has a mechanic" who is a Wyotech grad and just pays him money for doing the maintenance...
    What would you do in my situation as far as gaining more peace of mind before making the decision to buy? I guess i could ask him if i could take it to a subaru-qualified mechanic/shop/dealership to see if everything checks out?

I Support ClubWRX
    At the very least I'd take it to an independent mechanic that knows Subarus.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSub View Post
    So the dude "has a mechanic" who is a Wyotech grad and just pays him money for doing the maintenance...
    What would you do in my situation as far as gaining more peace of mind before making the decision to buy? I guess i could ask him if i could take it to a subaru-qualified mechanic/shop/dealership to see if everything checks out?
    If he doesn't let you take it to a mechanic, then walk. That's shady. If you take it to one and it checks out? I'd buy it. Or if it doesn't? Then walk.

As far as what I can see, it's a clean looking wrx. Now it's time to see how engine and drive train work. That's all the advice I can give you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by livid_wrx; 04-29-2014 at 06:17 PM.