Low mile 2012 WRX with Engine Block replaced?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Low mile 2012 WRX with Engine Block replaced? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my first car at 23 years old. I'm pretty set on a 2010 - ...

Low mile 2012 WRX with Engine Block replaced?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first car at 23 years old. I'm pretty set on a 2010 - 2012 low mile WRX and would like to stay below $25,000.

Anyways, I found a 2012 Metallic Gray WRX base model sedan online, about 2 hours away, with 13,000 miles for $24,000. Now, I am pretty much set on buying this car so last night I bought the Carfax for it. The only issues I have are the "Damage Reported", "Engine Removed to complete Repairs", and "Short Block Replaced."

What do you guys thing? Could this a huge warning sign, or nothing to really be concerned about? Why was the engine block replaced? And why can't these dealerships sell this car. It looks like it's been passed around a bit. The vehicle is still under basic warranty.

The used car dealership its at now looks to be reputable. It looks like they specialize in a lot of higher end used luxury and sports cars like Audi's, Masaratti's, BMW's and Porsche's.

I've attached pictures of of the Carfax reports if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look to see if anything screams "don't buy this car"

Thanks in advanced!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Probably sold from dealer to dealer because the engine was replaced. No one wants to risk a used car with a second engine that costs that much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    Probably sold from dealer to dealer because the engine was replaced. No one wants to risk a used car with a second engine that costs that much.

That's what I am thinking as well. Also why it seems to be taking a while to sell. Now, if there is truly nothing wrong with this car, then the replaced engine block plays in my favor when negotiating price. As an added bonus, the engine will only have 2,000 miles on it.

The engine was replaced at a Subaru Dealership so I am sure their mechanics followed proper procedure and used all OEM parts while the car was under warranty. That's better than the engine being replaced by a third party.

Honestly, if you can get anything under $20,000 I'd take it. I would at least. Even if it's $19,999

Honestly, if you can get anything under $20,000 I'd take it. I would at least. Even if it's $19,999

Do you think under $20,000 is realistic for this car, listed at $24,500?

Yes. If they don't budge, go get yourself a 2014 or 2015. Not much more and they're newer.

Yes. If they don't budge, go get yourself a 2014 or 2015. Not much more and they're newer.

Hmm, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the advice, can't wait to get in a WRX

Do not pay 24k for this car! you can get a new base model for a tad more. 21k max. Car could be a lemon. I bought my 2011 for 18k, CPO and one owner and premium with sunroof and heated seats and such.
    Keep searching, there is plenty out there, you just may need to travel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Hmm, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the advice, can't wait to get in a WRX
    No problem. Use good judgment, DO NOT pay asking price for it. I still think you should just get a 2014 or 2015.

But either way, congratulations and good luck.

Keep in mind that the car was only like 26k msrp brand new. 0 miles, knowledge of car and break in period, full warranty, and no pulled block.
    Evn then, I've seen people get new 2014s for 25k or under. And they want 24500, crazy!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

No problem. Use good judgment, DO NOT pay asking price for it. I still think you should just get a 2014 or 2015.

But either way, congratulations and good luck.

Thanks, I am set on this car because it has everything I want. I prefer the color, the year, and that it is the sedan. It all comes together on this car.

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Keep in mind that the car was only like 26k msrp brand new. 0 miles, knowledge of car and break in period, full warranty, and no pulled block.
    Evn then, I've seen people get new 2014s for 25k or under. And they want 24500, crazy!

Yeah, good point. Like I said, The car's history should play nicely into the negotiations for me.

Sounds like you were set on it before you even posted here. You should be able to steal it from them with that history, be prepared to walk when they don't budge. They will call you back.
    Congrats and welcome! You'll love it. I'm 22 and I bought my 2011 wrx in Jan, most fun I've had behind the wheel thus far.
    Do lots of research on it before you mod!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if.. you really donít know who I am, perhaps your best course of action is to tread lightly

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I'd seriously reconsider if they don't accept less than 20k.

Last edited by livid_wrx; 04-27-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Sounds like you were set on it before you even posted here. You should be able to steal it from them with that history, be prepared to walk when they don't budge. They will call you back.
    Congrats and welcome! You'll love it. I'm 22 and I bought my 2011 wrx in Jan, most fun I've had behind the wheel thus far.
    Do lots of research on it before you mod!

Yeah I was set on it as soon as I saw it. I'll do my best to negotiate. I read a sticky somewhere around here about negotiation tactics. Unfortunately I have never bought a car before and I can be a pretty big pushover. I can't wait to drive it! Thanks for the welcoming!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    if.. you really don’t know who I am, perhaps your best course of action is to tread lightly

I'm the one who knocks. god, don't you miss that show?

I'd seriously reconsider if the don't accept less than 20k.

Ill try to stand my ground on $20k, but beggars can't be choosers. Not a lot of opportunities to buy low mile 2011 or 2012 WRX's around here..

Heres another pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast