Low mile 2012 WRX with Engine Block replaced? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Low mile 2012 WRX with Engine Block replaced? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; How much about car mechanics do you know? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk...

How much about car mechanics do you know?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Because a car can be beautiful! But have a whole crap load of mechanical issues and wiring problems.

If you're willing to pay that much then go ahead. If I had $20,000 and they sold it to me I'd feel comfortable because I don't mind getting my hands dirty. Also, it is still under warranty so there is also that comfort to think about. All we're trying to say is tread lightly with this car and stand firm with the dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    Because a car can be beautiful! But have a whole crap load of mechanical issues and wiring problems.

If you're willing to pay that much then go ahead. If I had $20,000 and they sold it to me I'd feel comfortable because I don't mind getting my hands dirty. Also, it is still under warranty so there is also that comfort to think about. All we're trying to say is tread lightly with this car and stand firm with the dealers.

I would say I have a higher than average knowledge about car mechanics. Not that that is saying much. But, I know the general workings of an engine and drive train. I certainly don't mind getting my hands dirty either, I enjoy like most of the people here. But, I agree that I need to stand firm and not get taken for a sucker because it's my first car and I am young.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I would say I have a higher than average knowledge about car mechanics. Not that that is saying much. But, I know the general workings of an engine and drive train. I certainly don't mind getting my hands dirty either, I enjoy like most of the people here. But, I agree that I need to stand firm and not get taken for a sucker because it's my first car and I am young.
    Okay, seeing as you're pretty set on it here's what I'd do.

1. While working with the dealers, always make it seem as if you're concerned with the engine. That it's going to be a hassle for you in the future.

2. keep bringing up the newer models and how they're not that much more than what they're asking of a two year old car. Really push this issue. This is the linchpin. Say, "Why should I buy this wrx for $24,000 when I can get a brand new one for $27,000?" Or "What are you going to do to make this worth my while?" Also say, "I don't know, I'm not sure if I'm willing to settle for this.. That new one is REALLY nice."

Never let them know you're dead set on it, or even that you're that interested.

3. Find other 2012 or 2011 wrx's for lower prices and say that these dealers are working with you. Even if you're truly not interested in them.

4. Never mention it's your first car. Ever.

5. Get that car checked out. Take it to a Subaru dealership and have them do a top to bottom inspection. Everything should be looked at. I'd see if they can get the mechanics notes from the original dealership that did all the maintenance to the car.

If anything pops up, walk away.

If the new dealership refuses an inspection, walk away.

If they don't budge on pricing, walk away. This car isn't worth that much. Even with a new engine and low miles. There is a reason why no one else is buying it.
    Last edited by livid_wrx; 04-27-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Also, to answer a few of your of your other questions.

1. Why was the short block replaced? Probably threw a rod out the side wall. Could have had any number of other catastrophic engine failures as well. Such as over heating, running it out of oil, off roading and perching the engine on a large rock.

Or the engine management puked and threw off the boost. Which would in turn cause the internals to craps out. There's just so many unknowns here. That's why the inspection and original dealerships mechanics notes are so important.

This is also why it's been sitting. Whatever happened has turned this car into a hot potato.

Use this as a negotiation tool. "A low mile car isn't a good thing if it's been sitting for a year and a half!" Ya know?

2. Just because they deal high end cars doesn't make them reputable. Go online and REALLY DIG through reviews. See if they're on any scammer watch lists.

Last edited by livid_wrx; 04-27-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Okay, seeing as you're pretty set on it here's what I'd do.

1. While working with the dealers, always make it seem as if you're concerned with the engine. That it's going to be a hassle for you in the future.

2. keep bringing up the newer models and how they're not that much more than what they're asking of a two year old car. Really push this issue. This is the linchpin. Say, "Why should I buy this wrx for $24,000 when I can get a brand new one for $27,000?" Or "What are you going to do to make this worth my while?" Also say, "I don't know, I'm not sure if I'm willing to settle for this.. That new one is REALLY nice."

Never let them know you're dead set on it, or even that you're that interested.

3. Find other 2012 or 2011 wrx's for lower prices and say that these dealers are working with you. Even if you're truly not interested in them.

4. Never mention it's your first car. Ever.

5. Get that car checked out. Take it to a Subaru dealership and have them do a top to bottom inspection. Everything should be looked at. I'd see if they can get the mechanics notes from the original dealership that did all the maintenance to the car.

If anything pops up, walk away.

If the new dealership refuses an inspection, walk away.

If they don't budge on pricing, walk away. This car isn't worth that much. Even with a new engine and low miles. There is a reason why no one else is buying it.
    Thank you so much for this. I planned to act exactly as you described. Very casual about the car. Like I could take it or leave it. I'll also act really concerned about the car's history. And that I've been looking at a bunch of other dealerships and just decided to check this one out for the hell of it. Maybe I will mention that it's not the color I want (complete lie) hah.

Also, to answer a few of your of your other questions.

1. Why was the short block replaced? Probably threw a rod out the side wall. Could have had any number of other catastrophic engine failures as well. Such as over heating, running it out of oil, off roading and preaching the engine on a large rock.

Or the engine management puked and threw off the boost. Which would in turn cause the internals to craps out. There's just so many unknowns here. That's why the inspection and original dealerships mechanics notes are so important.

This is also why it's been sitting. Whatever happened has turned this car into a hot potato.

Use this as a negotiation tool. "A low mile car isn't a good thing if it's been sitting for a year and a half!" Ya know?

2. Just because they deal high end cars doesn't make them reputable. Go online and REALLY DIG through reviews. See if they're on any scammer watch lists.

Yeah, my dad and I came to the conclusion that one of the cylinders could have gone bad. It did have a leak down test performed before replacing the block, who knows.

That's a good point about the car sitting for so long, they are having a tough time selling it, which is good for me.

The fact that they do deal in high end used cars actually makes me a little more leary of them, I don't know why. Maybe because of the sleazy, tries to act rich, car salesman with a fake Rolex and aviator sunglasses stereotype that is in movies. For right or wrong..i don't know.

Thanks again! you're an awesome help

Why don't you ask them for the number to the dealership that replaced the engine, or the former owner? Call one of them and ask what's up with the car.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Here I will say it: That thing has been through the wringer!!

Offer them $19 and not a tad more. Let them know this is MAX and you are doing them a favor. If they don't take it, walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte View Post
    Why don't you ask them for the number to the dealership that replaced the engine, or the former owner? Call one of them and ask what's up with the car.

I was planning on calling the dealership tomorrow to ask about the replaced engine, but I like your idea of calling the dealer that did the install more.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Here I will say it: That thing has been through the wringer!!

Offer them $19 and not a tad more. Let them know this is MAX and you are doing them a favor. If they don't take it, walk.
    I wouldn't say it's been through the ringer.... It just had a new short block. Yeah, it is a pretty major replacement but strange things can happen to a factory engine. This certainly wouldn't be the first time an engine had to be replaced due to fault of the factory.

I'd love to get it for 19... That's $8,000 off MSRP for a 2 year old car with 15,000 miles. I don't get the Max reference, care to elaborate? ha or don't I even want to know..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I wouldn't say it's been through the ringer.... It just had a new short block. Yeah, it is a pretty major replacement but strange things can happen to a factory engine. This certainly wouldn't be the first time an engine had to be replaced due to fault of the factory.

I'd love to get it for 19... That's $8,000 off MSRP for a 2 year old car with 15,000 miles. I don't get the Max reference, care to elaborate? ha or don't I even want to know..
    My MAX reference is to hold tight. Don't rush it. $8000 off - frankly it should be $10K off. Your choice. Not trying to being a butt.

What was the accident?

I'd say if they won't give you the contact info, that's a major red flag. Good luck. I hope it's a great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    My MAX reference is to hold tight. Don't rush it. $8000 off - frankly it should be $10K off. Your choice. Not trying to being a butt.

What was the accident?
    ahh I got ya now. My fault. Don't appologize, I think that is good advice.

I really wish I knew what the acciden/reported damage was, all I know is what is in the Carfax. He may have ran it into a telephone pole......or a got a little dent in a quarter panel. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte View Post
    I'd say if they won't give you the contact info, that's a major red flag. Good luck. I hope it's a great find.

Yeah, I agree. If it's as good as they advertise, then they should have nothing to hide.

Thanks a lot, I hope it is too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12