Test Drive Appointment
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

This is a discussion on Test Drive Appointment within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Well, I finally got word that my local dealer has 15's in stock. I called and setup an appointment tomorrow ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Cyoplasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    97

    Test Drive Appointment

    Well, I finally got word that my local dealer has 15's in stock. I called and setup an appointment tomorrow after the sales rep was surprinsingly ansy about allowing me to test drive both the 15' and 14', as I have driven neither. This will be my first Subaru. I made mention to him on the phone that I'm not quite ready to buy but would "definitely consider it if we could work something out" (final OTD price). I have no intention of buying tomorrow though no matter what. This is more for the purpose of finally getting to drive one ( previously have not been allowed to at this dealer). Also, to practice a real negotiation as this will also be my first new car purchase.

    I've read the stickies here and will try out some of the tactics mentioned. I asked the sales rep today how many 14's he had and they still have about 10! 4 of them being hatches. I really want a 14' hatch but will use the 15' to my advantage in the negotiation process. With no more hatchback's available I really don't want the sales rep to know that's what I truly want.
    Is there any other negociation tactics you guys can share and in which step did you use them? IE: Don't mention body style or color preference before the negotiation. Don't talk about price or how much money you have to put down that day while you're still walking the lot.

    Thank guys, I'm very close to getting one of these. I wish tomorrow was the day, but I'm still a couple thousand short on the down payment I have in mind.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User livid_wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South East Michigan
    Posts
    323
    That's awesome man! Good luck!

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Registered User Cyoplasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    97
    SO far I've haggled down to 24,800 in Phoenix. Going to Tucson to test drive tomorrow. They have no idea that this will be my starting price for negotiation or I'm saying thanks for the test drive and walking.

  5. #4
    Registered User livid_wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South East Michigan
    Posts
    323
    How'd it workout for you?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Registered User Cyoplasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    97
    Test drove the 15' and the power band was quicker than the 14'.
    Currently have it down to 2 dealerships in a bidding war for my business. Just waiting on the right price.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The separation, is in the preparation.-Russell C Wilson-

  7. #6
    Registered User livid_wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South East Michigan
    Posts
    323
    That's how to do it. Great job.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Registered User zeitgeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hilliard, OH
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyoplasm View Post
    SO far I've haggled down to 24,800 in Phoenix. Going to Tucson to test drive tomorrow. They have no idea that this will be my starting price for negotiation or I'm saying thanks for the test drive and walking.
    Assuming you're talking about a base with no options and no trade, that's about $500 (2%) under invoice. Does it come with any goodies? Still not a bad deal. Hatch prices seem to be all over the place, depending on where you are. There are still at least 10 hatches (varying trims/colors) within 2 hours' driving distance of my house. I paid 2% under invoice for my '14 hatch and wonder if I could've done better by waiting. Of course, had I waited this long, I probably would've sprung for the '15.

    The hatch must be calling you like it did me, because everything I've heard about driving the '15 has been stellar. I bought before there were '15s on the lot for comparison.

    Let us know how it turns out. I'm interested in hearing how people do on the remaining '14s.

  9. #8
    Registered User Cyoplasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    97
    No, because I have 3 dealerships within a 200 mile radius of each bidding for my business, the options are now being used as bidding chips.
    I never mentioned any options. I started by negotiating on a base hatch. (This process is still in work)

    I currently have an out the door price in writing for 27,600 and a verbal from a seperate dealership of 27,200. Once I made mention that I kinda would prefer the short shifter they just threw it in, or offered me the car with it already installed. Once i mentioned that both dealerships have included the short throw, one added the mats and cargo tray and some other non essentials. I would really like to get the final sale down to 27,000 OR, buy it at it's current price with an extended warranty plus the goodies offered.
    Waiting, and not being in a rush has definitely given me the upper hand in negotiations and all the advice I got here was outstanding.

  10. #9
    Registered User livid_wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South East Michigan
    Posts
    323
    This should be stickied once it's finalized, and with you coming out on top. Great negotiations man, this is awesome.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Registered User Cyoplasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    97
    A little different from negotiating WITH all options included and then taking off the ones you really didn't want to get the better price, but has worked tremendously so far. This is a solid offer given the fact, some places can't even get you a 14' hatch. I wish I had the money now, but I will stretch this negotiation out and see how far I can go until I have the full down payment together.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •