About Maintenance Records...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on About Maintenance Records... within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey guys, I'm a newby here. I am looking to buy this car: Tastefully modded 2011 Subaru WRX Limited Having ...

About Maintenance Records...

Hey guys,

I'm a newby here. I am looking to buy this car:

Tastefully modded 2011 Subaru WRX Limited

Having browsed the forums here for a while, I've noticed that the key to buying an older WRX is maintenance records. With that said, what is it exactly that I should be looking at when presented with maintenance records? I have seen other WRXs and was presented with the records by the owner, but I didn't even know what would trigger a redflag, or what would trigger a green flag.

So, if anyone could explain what I should and shouldn't be seeing in the maintenance recrods for a 2011 WRX with ~45K miles, that would be AWESOME. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U should try finding a brand new base model for only a couple thousand more.

The options on the limited are important to me, so I would want to get a limited. A new one is out of my budget. Anyway, can anyone shed some light on my original question?

If your thinking about getting a used wrx make sure you take it somewhereto get a compression and leak down test.

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    If your thinking about getting a used wrx make sure you take it somewhereto get a compression and leak down test.
    Yep! For sure. I will definitely get that inspected before I make a move. Thanks!

Looks to be lightly modded with just a few exhaust mods which is good.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkid03 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a newby here. I am looking to buy this car:

Tastefully modded 2011 Subaru WRX Limited

Having browsed the forums here for a while, I've noticed that the key to buying an older WRX is maintenance records. With that said, what is it exactly that I should be looking at when presented with maintenance records? I have seen other WRXs and was presented with the records by the owner, but I didn't even know what would trigger a redflag, or what would trigger a green flag.

So, if anyone could explain what I should and shouldn't be seeing in the maintenance recrods for a 2011 WRX with ~45K miles, that would be AWESOME. Thanks guys!
    What you would want to do to check the maintenance records would be to get a copy of the 2011 WRX maintenance schedule and have the owner present you with proof (receipts, documents from dealers, etc) that show that each scheduled maintenance event had been completed. Also, as has been mentioned, it might be a good idea to get a compression/leak test performed. I would request that the owner allow you to have the car inspected by a knowledgeable subaru mechanic, who might pick up on anything obviously wrong with the car. Overall, it appears to be fairly clean with modifications that shouldn't cause too much concern (assuming the mods listed are the only ones done - hard to be sure without seeing engine bay photos). Price is a little high for a car with 46K (although that is not that high of mileage for these cars). One thing to remind the owner of is that modifying the car does not increase the value of a car...in fact, a lot of people would argue that it decreases the value of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    What you would want to do to check the maintenance records would be to get a copy of the 2011 WRX maintenance schedule and have the owner present you with proof (receipts, documents from dealers, etc) that show that each scheduled maintenance event had been completed. Also, as has been mentioned, it might be a good idea to get a compression/leak test performed. I would request that the owner allow you to have the car inspected by a knowledgeable subaru mechanic, who might pick up on anything obviously wrong with the car. Overall, it appears to be fairly clean with modifications that shouldn't cause too much concern (assuming the mods listed are the only ones done - hard to be sure without seeing engine bay photos). Price is a little high for a car with 46K (although that is not that high of mileage for these cars). One thing to remind the owner of is that modifying the car does not increase the value of a car...in fact, a lot of people would argue that it decreases the value of the car.
    Thanks for your insight. It's very helpful.
    Here is the maintenance schedule I found online:
    2011 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

So from what I understand, it seems like even at the 45K mile point, I should really just be seeing a regular oil change maintenance every ~7K miles, right?

I go 3k on the oil change, just anal...others will argue not necessary...matter of preference. My dealer recommends 3750 for changes on the rex. I rotate my tires every 5K winter/summers.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkid03 View Post
    Thanks for your insight. It's very helpful.
    Here is the maintenance schedule I found online:
    2011 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

So from what I understand, it seems like even at the 45K mile point, I should really just be seeing a regular oil change maintenance every ~7K miles, right?
    Technically there tire rotations and whatnot too. There's quite a few checklist things they do at 30k.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.