Dealer doesn't allow test drive! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Dealer doesn't allow test drive! within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; yea some dealers are just ridiculous....

yea some dealers are just ridiculous.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've heard of some dealers not allowing you to test drive a car without a sales rep, but to outright refuse a test drive on a possible purchase is an absurd practice.

Quote Originally Posted by formi View Post
    Sales manager says 'no way, this is a popular car and dealers only get about 8 a year, we can't let it go for that, but that sounds like a great deal I wouldn't pass it up wherever you are getting it from.' So I gathered my papers and left.
    This dealer must move very few cars because he likely wasn't lying. I saw you mentioned clayton at Ramsey and that's where I got my car. They move a lotttt of cars and this is why they don't need to haggle customers to sell cars. Even if they take a hit on the sale price, they make up well enough in volume.
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    I've heard of some dealers not allowing you to test drive a car without a sales rep, but to outright refuse a test drive on a possible purchase is an absurd practice.

This dealer must move very few cars because he likely wasn't lying. I saw you mentioned clayton at Ramsey and that's where I got my car. They move a lotttt of cars and this is why they don't need to haggle customers to sell cars. Even if they take a hit on the sale price, they make up well enough in volume.
    Moving the specialty cars might be tough for them, but I was at the same dealer yesterday for an oil change and to swap my summer tires, and the service guy said, in regards to my loaner "will get 2 trailers of foresters on a saturday morning and they will all be gone by noon." Oh well, I guess they have my service money and someone elses money from that wrx so they are the real winners. I'm betting they had to work a lot harder for that wrx sale than if I had bought it. There were 4 brzs on the lot when I was there.

There would have been a sales rep for my drive, but the head sales manager stopped it. I would have been fine testing with the sales guy, that's a lot of trust to send someone off in a performance car by themselves and I understand not wanting to do that.
    2014 WRX Hatch
    Plasma Blue Pearl

Some dealers are strange in the way they deal with test drives and almost all of them are different. The subaru dealership I normally deal with has no problem letting me test drive a new car, and never have. Although if its a wrx or a sti, they normally have the sales rep ride along with you. Which is no big deal in my opinion. But i will never buy from a dealer that does not allow me a test drive first.

However, when i was on the market for a new or used wrx or sti last year, there was a local pre-owned car lot that had a 2012 white sti hatch for sale. If i recall it had almost 30k miles on it, but was in excellent condition. They wanted 31 for the car. When i went to look at it, they refused to let me test drive it without a credit score and a obligation to buy it. So i walked away and a few weeks later found my 2011 wrb wrx hatch with only 20k miles on it and in bone stock condition for 25k. I drove the hour there, they handed me the keys, i went for a 20 min test drive and when i got back I started signing the paperwork. Plus they haggled the price a little bit for me, they dropped it down to 24k. I was happy with the price, and I love my car!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

its a old car sales ploy. They think if you show commitment IE credit info and credit check, and waste more of your time at the dealership your more likely to buy the car that day at the price they dictate. They only care if your gonna buy the car that day, if you say your just test driving it and not gonna buy today or buy later they won't take you seriously.

Just ask for another sales person, if they ask why, just say you dont like them or go to another dealership.

Lot of these subaru dearlerships are pretty arrogrant at least in california, since they been moving a lot of them. I swear they think there selling a 60k mercedes or something and i do get better sales experience at a BMW, Mercedes or even a toyota dealership.

Just remember to take your time, the more time you take the more money you save.

Yea I'm curious to see how I will be treated at a BMW dealership next year. I'll only be 25 but I'm going to want to try out the luxury sport in a year or so.

I understand the dealer's point of view as well. Every one going in for a new WRX doesn't want a car that has 200 demo miles on it, especially when the car might be flogged a little. And WRXs aren't like their other cars, of there are 40 of on the lot and using one for demo is a lot easier. What's a dealer to do? My dealer rode along and asked me not to push it too hard. I had no problems with that.

I've heard more than one dealer say that if they make a person fiddle around with some paperwork before the test drive, the ricer boys who just came to flog the car won't hang around.

I understand the dealer's point of view as well. Every one going in for a new WRX doesn't want a car that has 200 demo miles on it, especially when the car might be flogged a little. And WRXs aren't like their other cars, of which there are 40 of on the lot and using one for demo is a lot easier. What's a dealer to do? My dealer rode along and asked me not to push it too hard. I had no problems with that.

I've heard more than one dealer say that if they make a person fiddle around with some paperwork before the test drive, the ricer boys who just came to flog the car won't hang around.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
    I understand the dealer's point of view as well.
    Sure, I understand that point of view also. I won't buy the car though. They'll sell it to someone else so it's a moot point.

That's probably true also. After all, I'd have been there to buy and even I won't hang around.

Luckily for the dealers the WRX sells well despite their tactics.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

MTM
    Everytime I go to the dealership they practically force me to take a test drive... I didnt even say I wanted it for sure... and you know what. Thats how I drove away in our 2013 escape and threw like 7k away on a trade in and now owe more than the cars worth... haha...

I Support ClubWRX
    Just over 10 years ago, I was welcomed to take a solo test drive. Think I was out for ~20 minutes or so.

No drive, no sale.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    Yea I'm curious to see how I will be treated at a BMW dealership next year. I'll only be 25 but I'm going to want to try out the luxury sport in a year or so.
    you know what the nice thing about walking into a audi/mercedes/bmw dealer usually is? They have a corporate image to maintain. Most (there are always some bad ones of course) have to meet customer satisfaction goals. Their dealers r held to high standards.

They also don't usually judge b.c they understand even kids have their parents money lol. Ive never been treated poorly at a mercedes/audi/bmw dealer for a test drive. obviously some dealers had horrible pricing b.c they were located in some of the wealthiest areas of the country but at least they didn't treat me like **** like some subaru dealers.

Whats funny is that the demographic for a brz/wrx/sti is the 20 year old kid! so not letting them test drive a car is an idiotic move. I own my own used car dealership. i never said no to a test drive. Even the 22 year old that wanted to test drive an S5 (who ended up buying it). a test drive is usually 5-10 miles tops. Negligible miles on your car. Insurance exists for a reason too.

Quote Originally Posted by mv577 View Post
    I'll admit I didn't test drive my 2014... But I was offered the opportunity to... I knew I wanted the car, had driven a friends WRX... Not too mention it was still in the plastic with 6 miles on it... If something wasn't right I know they'd fix it but chances were it was OK...

That being said I wouldn't of been pleased if I was denied the chance to drive it...

x2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.