Dealer doesn't allow test drive! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dealer doesn't allow test drive! within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Move on, and let it be known to them that you are going to a different dealership specifically because that ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Move on, and let it be known to them that you are going to a different dealership specifically because that salesman shot you down immediately. They do not deserve your business. When I went to the dealership for my car I currently have, the online salesman (the guy I had been talking to VIA email for a couple days) practically threw the keys at me and told me to go drive it around the block a couple times. I'm 23... Most salesmen wont do that to a kid my age.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with all of the above.A test drive should be offered or find another sales rep or dealer.I emailed a dealer about a 2015 WRX in transit,and he offered to set up a test drive as soon as the car comes in.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Unfortunately for some dealers it is standard practice. I (22-y/o) went to my local dealer ready to order and pay cash for a car, never having test driven one. They had a 4 door premium (I wanted Hatch premium) so I figured it would be good to test drive that just for the options and get a feel for the car. Well the first salesman was ready to let me test drive but then their sales manager stepped out with him and stopped me, asking if I was interested in that exact car, and 'I could drive it if I wanted that exact one and we went inside and ran the numbers on my trade and see what payment worked for me.' Well guess what buddy thanks for the assumption but I would like the $0 a month payment plan, and I'm not ordering a car, wasting 8 weeks of my time and a deposit just to discover I don't like the car.

Anyways he gets me inside, I tell him my options and trim, and he gives me MSRP pricing and a lowball trade-in. I chuckle and ask him to match $500 under invoice and at least another grand on my trade-in (thanks Clayton!). Sales manager says 'no way, this is a popular car and dealers only get about 8 a year, we can't let it go for that, but that sounds like a great deal I wouldn't pass it up wherever you are getting it from.' So I gathered my papers and left.

I ended up testing a premium 4 door that was owned by someone in my apartment complex, I literally left a nice note and my business card under his wiper begging to take a look around his car and possibly drive it. He was a really nice guy who works in the same industry as I do and let me drive it for about 15 minutes. I called in my order with Clayton the next day and unlike the other dealer he actually wanted to work with me and would gladly take my money.

Honestly for a 25-30 $k car this is ridiculous practice, but I can understand they get punk teens and college kids who want to joyride and launch the cars with no intention of buying. I would expect this if I wanted to buy an M3, AMG something, or GT-R and didn't quite look like you are serious about the purchase. But when you are a serious buyer, I would expect them to work with you.
    2014 WRX Hatch
    Plasma Blue Pearl

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm only 25, and never had an issue getting test drives, even after mentioning I wasn't looking for an immediate purchase, but was weighing my options for the near future (which was a true statement). The sales staff at Subaru, Audi, Infiniti, Honda, and BMW offered test drives almost immediately.

I'd love to open my own dealership and cut the asshattery. I know they're there to make money, but Clayton's potent mix of affordability and excellent service proves that being nice to people will pay huge sales dividends later.
    Last edited by Rambo; 03-27-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I tried to test drive a ford gt after I test drove my focus. The guy kind of laughed at me....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I'm a very young looking 28 (could literally pass for 18), and I have never had an issue with this. I always make sure to dress nice and wear my wedding ring. I'm forward with the sales person that greets me. The hand shake, introduction, then straight to the point. "If you have time, I'd like to take a look inside the car and possibly go for a test drive."

honestly I wouldn't buy a car from them unless they let me test drive it first. you need to make sure you want to buy it before you commit. common sense right?

To kinda go along with what some are saying, you ARE the customer. The salesman wants nothing more than that commision bonus. I know, I was a salesman of sorts at one point. This isn't like buying a cell phone. You're spending anywhere from the upwards of 27-30k dollars. Next time you go, if you want to test drive the car, don't tell the salesman that "you're not in a rush to buy", or that you want to buy that day even. Be very vague. They're shady and will lie about anything to get you to reveal your true hand to leverage the negociation, so why should you be upfront and honest with them about everything? Your honesty only leads to a "good" salesman taking advantage of you. Investing in a car in the grand scheme of things is a big deal, single or not, but don't get it twisted. The negociation process is best to be treated like a game. You got pocket Ace's and the salesman is just trying to see if you'll fold on his bluff.

IMO, if you've never drove a WRX, then it only makes sense to be able to test drive it before you buy it. If you have a wife and kids too??? Yea, when that guy disagrees, or feeds you some BS like this, you shake his hand and walk. I guarantee you, he calls you back 20 min later to give you a test drive. No need for threats of other dealerships unless you're already in the process of negociating a final price.

I too have had a taste of the WRX arrogance from a dealer about 6 months ago. Stopped in a dealer and wanted to have a closer look at one in person. Salesman met me at door and asked how if he could help. As soon as he heard I was casually interested in a WRX, he said, while walking back to his cubicle that they are hot and all sold. I was actually happier because I climbed all over the STI they had on the floor for 15 minutes while that guy watched from his desk. Guess where I didn't buy my '14 Sedan from? I was searching for the car I wanted, called the dealer and arranged an appointment to see it. The salesman at the dealer I bought it from couldn't wait to let me drive it as he knew that would close the deal. Called back next day and got the price I wanted. Picked the car up 2 days later. I would call ahead and talk to a salesman to clarify that a car would be available for a test drive, no surprises then.

It's simple: No test drive; you walk...and buy somewhere else.

I don't buy cars without a test drive. And I don't do business with dealerships that don't allow test drives. Vote with your dollars.

It's interesting that Subaru pulls this kind of crap also. I don't understand how dealers think, but getting somebody in the seat of a car is the best way to sell a car. Actually it's a poor dealer experience with a different brand that got me to start shopping around and sparked my interest in the Subarus. It's a more practical car, so you would think the dealer would have a more practical mindset when trying to sell them. The other car was just a toy, so the dealer experience can really make or break a sale. Age should never come into play, I may be on the older side of the WRX crowd, but that doesn't mean I can afford the car any more than somebody 10 years younger than me.

I Support ClubWRX

Dealer doesn't allow test drive!

They'll sell the car whether you drive it or not.

The should not sell it to you unless you drive it though.

Walk away with the $.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've not even bought a car yet and they've allowed me test drives on two separate occasions, (one solo, one with wife) both of which without a salesperson in the car. Complete trust.

I scheduled a test drive with some chick at a subaru dealer and when I got there the sales manager said I wasn't aloud to test drive it. I laughed at him and said ill go to another dealer instead and sure enough one of the floor managers ran out of the office with the keys. Test drove it then bought it.
    A kid I know is only 18 and went to the same place for a test drive and they wouldn't let him. He even waved 10k in there face haha. He ended up buying it without a test drive . Didn't like it ended up trading it in for a sedan 4k miles later haha

Before I bought my wrx I went to a dealership that sold mainly sports cars. I told the salesman I was interested in checking out an 08 nismo 350 and right off the bat he said I can start it buy I'm not driving it.
    I told him there's noway I'm buying a car I didn't test drive and still didn't let me. There were also some other cars I wanted to look at, he said I wasn't aloud to look at them unless I was 100% committed in buying one of them. They were all inside on an upstairs level.
    He called me about 2 days later asking if I was still interested. I told him I have another dealership letting me test drive a 370z today and he was begging me to come back and promised me to let me test drive it.
    I was cracking up lol.
    Last edited by 13WrXx; 03-27-2014 at 09:32 PM.

So, this is the funny (sad) part about this whole issue: this is the same dealer and the same internet sales person that I bought a new 2013 Forester from them last year! I walked away and I told the guy that they lost not only a customer but a returning customer. I told him that I have never driven a WRX and I am looking to replace my 2000 M5, paper reviews just tells you so much.
    Anyways, they are history now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast