Looking for a wrx, what to get?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking for a wrx, what to get? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everyone, I'm looking for a wrx, anywhere from 02-05. Anything newer is out of my 10k budget. I found ...

Looking for a wrx, what to get?

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a wrx, anywhere from 02-05. Anything newer is out of my 10k budget. I found one that I'm interested in, but after reading some threads I'm starting to wonder if I really want to get it or not.

Here's the link:

02 Subaru WRX

Like it says, the engine has 36k on it and is under warranty but the rest of the car has 172k. He told me today that he has replaced a lot of parts and put a lot of money into the car because he wanted to keep it for a long time but he's having a kid. It clearly has some performance parts on it because he thinks it's making 300hp.

I'm just concerned because if something goes wrong with this car I will not have the funds to repair it since I'm going to college next year.

What I'm really getting at is does this look sketchy or legit? I have no experience with subarus, but I do know my way around mustangs and 240's and could pick up most of the basics of working on a subaru I assume.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep looking some people here at not into buying cars that have been modified since you may run into a lot of repair costs.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I would walk very far away from that car. It is right at your budget limit (which leaves no money left over for maintenance or fixes). It is highly modified, pretty high mileage too. There is no way this things still has a warranty either (which he is advertising), unless he is offering some kind of warranty himself lol. Looks like it would be a headache to be honest. You want something stock (or close to it). Keep looking, they are out there.

Yeah I'd stay away from that one. Looks like a headache.

He obviously blew one engine. There was a reason that happened.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I'd save up another 5k before you go buy a used wrx. That way if you buy a 10k wrx you'll have money set aside for if/when the motor takes a ****.

MTM
    agree with everyone

Alright, thank you guys very much for your advice! I'm glad I didn't jump on that. I actually just found a 2003 with 84k bone stock that's 2 miles from my house.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ANoLEN View Post
    Alright, thank you guys very much for your advice! I'm glad I didn't jump on that. I actually just found a 2003 with 84k bone stock that's 2 miles from my house.

Sounds good bu if you can send us a link of the post so we can nip pick for you and make sure your not getting ram into. Also its a good idea to ask the buyer if he is willing to let you take the car to a shop you trust and have them do a buyer inspection. But better yet if you both have the time and patience see about setting up an appointment for compression and leak down test. Good luck with your purchase.
    Asian Ricer

It's at the automax dodge dealer in Shawnee. I will ask what they have done to it. Here's the link to it: http://m.autotrader.com/vdp.html?id=368169664

I Support ClubWRX
    Car looks good! The fact that it only had two owners so far its a good thing and that one of them had it for majority of the time. I didn't notice anything that would imply modification and it looks to be used mainly as either a family or just an average Joe who used that car as that a "car". Milagae is not to shappy for such an older model especially for Subaru. I would go for it but to be on the safe side start saving some money for fluids change, brakes, battery, tires, but if those things are recently done then don't worry about it. Also if you plan keeping for awhile save up for your timing belt and maybe a new clutch if its running the same ones from factory. Good luck
    Asian Ricer

Yeah the previous owner traded it in for a grand cherokee and the car is from colorado. So it seems to be very average. The tires are in great shape and I haven't asked about the rest but it drove extremely smooth and was very quiet. The clutch felt very smooth too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup that looks like a good candidate. The only thing I saw was water damage in the trunk and a lack of engine bay shots.

Outside of that it looks great!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Yup that looks like a good candidate. The only thing I saw was water damage in the trunk and a lack of engine bay shots.

Outside of that it looks great!
    The interior carpet might also be water stained or it might just be old. I'd check for flood damage. Run a finger around the inside of trim such as behind the dash - it's easy to clean carpets, interior and the engine bay, but they don't usually pull things apart to clean behind them. If you can anything dirty or sludge like then there could be a problem.

Well I got it about an hour after my last post! Everything is very clean and as you would expect an 84k mile car to look! I'm very pleased with it. All it needs is a little touch up on the hood scoop. I got a straight trade for my 2005 mustang gt that had 118k on it. I think it's fair enough with how clean this subaru is.

I saw that in the trunk too but when I opened it up today it looked just fine. And no other damage to it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ANoLEN View Post
    Well I got it about an hour after my last post! Everything is very clean and as you would expect an 84k mile car to look! I'm very pleased with it. All it needs is a little touch up on the hood scoop. I got a straight trade for my 2005 mustang gt that had 118k on it. I think it's fair enough with how clean this subaru is.

I saw that in the trunk too but when I opened it up today it looked just fine. And no other damage to it.

Awesome! Congrats and welcome to the Club officially!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast