2014 Wrx vs 2015 Wrx?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

This is a discussion on 2014 Wrx vs 2015 Wrx? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Good morning everyone, I just signed up to this forum this morning to find out more about the Wrx. I'm ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    11

    2014 Wrx vs 2015 Wrx?

    Good morning everyone,

    I just signed up to this forum this morning to find out more about the Wrx. I'm coming from a 350z. I'm thinking of purchasing a wrx within the next month or so.

    I really like the looks of the 14' hatch. I was thinking about going with the hatch instead of the 15' wrx sedan.

    Are there any major differences between the 14' and 15'? What do you guys recommend going with?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User lytlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    4,313
    Yes. Huge differences. I would suggest researching the new 15 wrx.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

  4. #3
    Registered User lytlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    4,313
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

  5. #4
    Registered User Aaronw9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    36
    14' wrx still has the rumble. 15' wrx does not. If you like the sound of the exhaust I wouldn't get a new 15' because they have equal length headers thus no rumble.

  6. #5
    Registered User WRXilie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Yes. Huge differences. I would suggest researching the new 15 wrx.
    ^ Huge differences, even though I love the current WRX the '15 is a much better car. but do some research and happy shopping
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

  7. #6
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,481
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronw9 View Post
    14' wrx still has the rumble. 15' wrx does not. If you like the sound of the exhaust I wouldn't get a new 15' because they have equal length headers thus no rumble.
    This is commonly quoted as a reason not to buy the 2015, and given the tremendous improvements with the 2015 a fairly ignorant reason at that.

    I'm not saying that you are suggesting to pass on the 2015, just strikes a nerve.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  8. #7
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,545
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This is commonly quoted as a reason not to buy the 2015, and given the tremendous improvements with the 2015 a fairly ignorant reason at that.

    I'm not saying that you are suggesting to pass on the 2015, just strikes a nerve.
    Dat inefficiency though!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    143
    Either one will work out fine as a Daily Driver. The '15 will be better suited for track use, but no one will know how it responds to mods for a few months. All we really know so far is it runs out of breath up top thanks to a smaller turbo.

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    11
    Thank you for all the replies so far! I've been doing a bit of research for the past week or so. I'm really excited to make the transition to a wrx from a Z. It fits my needs much better.

    From my understanding the 2015 gets better gas mileage, more hp/tq and stiffer chassis. Isn't the 2015 a bit slower though? Is there anything else I'm missing?

    Honestly I like the looks of the hatchback. I wouldn't mind going for the 2015 sedan if the improvements make a difference. Why do you guys recommend the 15'?

  11. #10
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,545
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLovelyZee View Post
    Thank you for all the replies so far! I've been doing a bit of research for the past week or so. I'm really excited to make the transition to a wrx from a Z. It fits my needs much better.

    From my understanding the 2015 gets better gas mileage, more hp/tq and stiffer chassis. Isn't the 2015 a bit slower though? Is there anything else I'm missing?

    Honestly I like the looks of the hatchback. I wouldn't mind going for the 2015 sedan if the improvements make a difference. Why do you guys recommend the 15'?
    The 14 vs 15 debate has been hashed out quite a bit on here recently.

    It honestly boils down to personal preference. I would 100% get a 2015 over a 2014 because I like the improvements it has. Interior, drivetrain and chassis are all much better in the 2015.

    If you can live without that stuff and just want a hatch then the 2014 is for you. Now, I'm not saying it is a bad car because it isn't. Just that in everything else outside of style and 0-60 times the 2015 wins.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  12. #11
    Registered User ProZach626's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    Posts
    326
    There are several members who have made the switch from 350z to wrx. I sold my 08 350 touring for my 13 wrx sedan last year. The wrx is far more of a driver's car and is much more enjoyable to drive, not to mention mod.
    Drive a 14 and a 15. Decide which one you like better.

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    143
    Wait a year and see how the new engine responds to the aftermarket. Even though I can't figure it out right now, there's got to be a reason they stuck with an EJ in the STI.

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

  14. #13
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,481
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    Wait a year and see how the new engine responds to the aftermarket. Even though I can't figure it out right now, there's got to be a reason they stuck with an EJ in the STI.

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    There are two glaringly obvious reasons:
    1. ROI -- The STi has continued to sell in small quantities over the decades regardless of the internals. The STi will continue to sell despite the less-modern powerplant. The WRX outsells the WRX STi by a decent margin, though Subaru lumps the two models together in the same sales figure so it's difficult to know the exact margin. By ROI alone, it makes less sense for Subaru to spend radical R&D money on the vehicle unless for marketing "Halo Vehicle" purposes. By priorities, it makes sense to target the WRX for the refresh (where the market base CARES about a modern powerplant) before the STi. Keep in mind that compared to other Subaru models, neither the WRX nor the WRX STi have high volumes in sales.

    2. The WRX STi caters to the market that demands track duty. At the moment, there is little in the way of aftermarket following for the FA20 powerplant. To change the powerplant immediately would force many of the shops that specialize in the WRX STi to spend countless resources in R&D on new product. The lack of immediate product would likely cause a slump in the (already small) WRX STi sales. By introducing the FA20 on the WRX first, the aftermarket will generate thus paving the way for the more modern motor to make its way into the STi.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  15. #14
    Registered User lytlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    There are two glaringly obvious reasons:
    1. ROI -- The STi has continued to sell in small quantities over the decades regardless of the internals. The STi will continue to sell despite the less-modern powerplant. The WRX outsells the WRX STi by a decent margin, though Subaru lumps the two models together in the same sales figure so it's difficult to know the exact margin. By ROI alone, it makes less sense for Subaru to spend radical R&D money on the vehicle unless for marketing "Halo Vehicle" purposes. By priorities, it makes sense to target the WRX for the refresh (where the market base CARES about a modern powerplant) before the STi. Keep in mind that compared to other Subaru models, neither the WRX nor the WRX STi have high volumes in sales.

    2. The WRX STi caters to the market that demands track duty. At the moment, there is little in the way of aftermarket following for the FA20 powerplant. To change the powerplant immediately would force many of the shops that specialize in the WRX STi to spend countless resources in R&D on new product. The lack of immediate product would likely cause a slump in the (already small) WRX STi sales. By introducing the FA20 on the WRX first, the aftermarket will generate thus paving the way for the more modern motor to make its way into the STi.
    Yeah, what he said.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

  16. #15
    Registered User Raven Logics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    Either one will work out fine as a Daily Driver. The '15 will be better suited for track use, but no one will know how it responds to mods for a few months. All we really know so far is it runs out of breath up top thanks to a smaller turbo.
    How do we know that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •