Need Opinions on Potential New Ride
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need Opinions on Potential New Ride within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey all, I've been a member of this forum for a while and have mostly stuck in the shadows seeking ...

Need Opinions on Potential New Ride

Hey all,

I've been a member of this forum for a while and have mostly stuck in the shadows seeking information on my quest to become a DIY mechanic. I have a stock 2006 WRX (WRB) with 84,000 miles on it. The car was in a great condition when I bought it, and in my opinion, even better condition now due to extensive maintenance and functional upgrades.

The reason I am posting is because ever since I got my car I have been itching to upgrade to an STi. I know that you can modify your WRX pretty easily (Stage 2+) to compete with a stock STi, but it is more of a snob factor that is urging me to upgrade.

I have been searching for a good deal on a 2006-2007 STi in the Maine and New Hampshire area and I finally found one. The car is a 2006 STi with 98,000 miles on it. It is currently stock (the salesman had no idea if it has always been stock) and it runs great. Inside and outside, the car is in great condition. I think that after trading in my WRX, I could probably only be on the hook for $6K or $7K (my WRX is fully paid off). My question is not if it is worth it to upgrade to the same model year but an STi. My question is, if kept in good condition, how high is too high for mileage? Whatever car I keep/buy needs to last me a long time (I only drive 10,000 miles a year). Obviously the STi, being at 98,000 miles, would need a timing belt change.

So, thoughts? Is 98,000 too much? Is giving up a sure thing (my awesome WRX) not worth it to add another 14,000 miles to my vehicle?
    -Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Short answer: Nope. Keep your car.

Seriously, the salesman knows nothing about this car, and neither do you. You're going from a car with a known history (cause it's yours) to a potential ticking time bomb.

Thanks for the feedback. In general though, what are your thoughts on the mileage? I know that there is a risk switching cars, but it runs great. I was also going to request that the dealer do a compression and leakdown test before I made my decision.

I understand that there is risk, but buying any car (including the one I have now) has risks. My question is about the mileage.
    -Nick

I Support ClubWRX
    If you do get it then get the timing belt and 105K maintenance items thrown in for free. If the car is healthy it should go much more miles. Really not too much difference in mileage from your current car. Someone already mentioned that there is risk so I won't mention it again. You seem to be aware of that, and willing to accept it. Rather than just a compression/leakdown test, have a knowledgeable subaru mechanic (independent from the dealer) take a look over on it. If they give it the ok, then go for it. Sounds like that is what you want to do!

I Support ClubWRX
    Just because it has stock parts on it now doesn't mean it has always been stock. I can generally pick out a modded car returned to stock 95% of the time. One tell-tail signs are nicked/scratched up exhaust bolts. Shows the bolts have been wrenched on meaning it was probably removed.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for the heads up. Ya, I went through most of those checks when I bought my WRX and found that it used to have a TBE, boost gauge (t-fitting still in line), and a clutch replacement. I didn't get a chance to check everything on the STi, but the stock exhaust was abnormally clean for the mileage, so I am assuming it used to have an aftermarket set up. In all honesty, I think it is almost impossible to find a WRX or STi that has not been modified.

I don't know, overnight I thought about it and I love my WRX to death. It's hard thinking about giving it up...wish I could have both!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Just because it has stock parts on it now doesn't mean it has always been stock. I can generally pick out a modded car returned to stock 95% of the time. One tell-tail signs are nicked/scratched up exhaust bolts. Shows the bolts have been wrenched on meaning it was probably removed.
    -Nick

not worth it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    not worth it.
    This. Knowledge of your car greatly exceeds that of the new, unknown car, and that dealer isn't helping you in any way on the "has this ever been modified" factor. That itself, is worth it's weight in gold.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I don't think its worth it. like you said, you can just go stage 2+ if you want more power. However I do understand that feeling when you want something better... but that feeling wont go away even if you do get the STI, and then you'll want to mod, and then you might run into problems you weren't expecting :/ at least with your car you know you maintained it properly. That urge 2 stronk tho. So you might still pull the trigger on it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Why would you buy a car with more miles?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well, I do not drive a lot of miles, and I thought that these cars could go pretty far in terms of mileage. I just can't get the urge to switch out of my head I guess. I met with the dealer and he had zero knowledge (of cars in general) and tried to tell me that the STi had 400hp stock and some have twin turbos...I said "thanks for your time, bye bye!"

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Why would you buy a car with more miles?
    -Nick

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.