Buying my first WRX.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buying my first WRX. within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hey everybody. So, I'm hoping to buy my first WRX today, and I want to know if in all of ...

Talking Buying my first WRX.

Hey everybody. So, I'm hoping to buy my first WRX today, and I want to know if in all of your expert opinions, I'm picking a good car.

The car is a 2011, red in color, with a manual transmission. It's all stock, which is how I want it. It's been sitting at the Subaru dealership I work at for over a month, so my GM is letting me practically steal it for a price.

Does anyone know anything good and/or bad about the year? I've worked on them before, but I haven't seen anything ridiculous as of yet. I'd appreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

how many miles does it have? and were there signs of the previous owner modifying it and then just returning it to stock to sell it? did he have all the maintenance receipts? used, not well maintained turbo cars can be a crapshoot. the wrx holds its value, how much of deal are you getting on it? if its 21-22k you could grab a brand new one for 4k more.

but with all of that said, there is nothing wrong with that year. and the "lightening red" is a color you rarely see.

enjoy!

The 2011 is when they gave the WRX a more aggressive body style, which I love about my 2011. It definitely stands out against the Impreza. Enjoy that car, its one sweet ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frahlick View Post
    Hey everybody. So, I'm hoping to buy my first WRX today, and I want to know if in all of your expert opinions, I'm picking a good car.

The car is a 2011, red in color, with a manual transmission. It's all stock, which is how I want it. It's been sitting at the Subaru dealership I work at for over a month, so my GM is letting me practically steal it for a price.

Does anyone know anything good and/or bad about the year? I've worked on them before, but I haven't seen anything ridiculous as of yet. I'd appreciate it!
    First things first: Was it stock from the get go? Or did the previous owner mod it, and then put the stock parts back? Has the ECU been previously flashed? (Subaru can tell)

How many miles?

Did the previous owner keep up with the maintenance?

There's nothing wrong with the 11+ WRXs (so long as nobody beat on it before turning it over to the dealer and took care of the maintenance at the recommended intervals). Take it to another mechanic (preferably someone knowledgeable on Subarus). Good luck!

I have a question that is closely related. I am looking at buying my first WRX and am finding that almost all of the ones for sale (in my area) are 2011 with 40k +/- miles. Are there any issues I should be aware of with this year and amount of miles? It just seemed a little odd to me that there wasn't more of a year/mileage selection.

Sean,

Just make sure it hasn't been modded then returned to stock. I have heard horror stories of people doing that and then the new owner is buying a new motor/ drivetrain because someone wanted to be like Travis Pastrana or Ken Block. Just make sure you ask plenty of questions and see if there is a Carfax history report, that is helpful when making the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ambrose View Post
    I have a question that is closely related. I am looking at buying my first WRX and am finding that almost all of the ones for sale (in my area) are 2011 with 40k +/- miles. Are there any issues I should be aware of with this year and amount of miles? It just seemed a little odd to me that there wasn't more of a year/mileage selection.
    2011 with 40K miles...that's a little over 12K miles per year. Someone likely used the car as a DD. Nothing to be concerned about based on mileage alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Schottie View Post
    Sean,

Just make sure it hasn't been modded then returned to stock. I have heard horror stories of people doing that and then the new owner is buying a new motor/ drivetrain because someone wanted to be like Travis Pastrana or Ken Block. Just make sure you ask plenty of questions and see if there is a Carfax history report, that is helpful when making the decision.
    ^This is the main reason why I won't buy a used WRX or STI...sometimes you can get lucky and land a bone stock one, but you gotta look really hard. And of course, everybody else is also looking for the same thing, so...

My wife and I got lucky. Our WRX had a little over 17,000 for a 2011. It is bone stock and VERY well taken care of. All maintenance records and clean CarFax definitely made it an easy choice to get rid of her 2011 Ford Fiesta.

Thank you for the advise. I will definitely look whatever car I choose very closely. On a side note about the Carfax, I work in a large auto body shop and we see cars quite often that have "clean carfax reports" that have been in major wrecks. Not all insurance companies and/or auto body shops report the repairs. A carfax is a good thing to look at but it does NOT guarantee the vehicle is "clean."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.