How is the 2015 WRX STI? is it worth getting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on How is the 2015 WRX STI? is it worth getting within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hello all, I recently sold my 2002 Subaru WRX. Now i have been saving for awhile and trying to decide ...

How is the 2015 WRX STI? is it worth getting

Hello all,
    I recently sold my 2002 Subaru WRX. Now i have been saving for awhile and trying to decide what ride i want next. I believe this is what i want.
    Do you think it is worth getting the 2015 Subaru WRX STI when it comes out? I been looking at them and it does not look like a bad choice to me. Getting something brand new would be nice i have never had anything "new" then i wont have to worry about anything going wrong with it.
    In the future when i have money saved up i would like to mod it and make it alot faster.
    How do people feel about the 2015 STI
    Also how do you feel 2014 STI vs 2015 STI

Im very curious to see what people have to say

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the 14 looks a lot better but that's just my opinion. The 15 is supposed to be a pretty good car and a bit better then the ones out now. I would go with what you like more. Either way you'r getting a great car. That's my .2 at least

I Support ClubWRX
    The 14 and 15 have the same engine. They supposedly have a stiffer suspension set up and a little bit of an upgraded drive train (less turns lock to lock on the steering wheel, and I think possibly a little change in the transmission, but not positive on that one). I think what it really boils down to is which one you like the looks of better. The interior is upgraded with different seats and a D shape steering wheel. I think it has a much better stock stereo option too. I will be keeping my current STi at least until they do an upgrade on the engine. Good luck with your decision!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    The 14 and 15 have the same engine.
    OK I'm confused.

I thought the 2015 is going to have a 2.0.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    OK I'm confused.

I thought the 2015 is going to have a 2.0.
    The WRX has an FA20DIT but the STi still uses the EJ257

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Very cool. Thanks for straightening that out for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Whether it's "worth it" is really quite subjective. It really depends on what you value most. The reviews make it clear that the 2015 STi interior is much improved, it handles curves far far better than the 14, the wheel base is longer, the 6 speed as improved and multiple reviews seem to indicate that the improved throttle responses seems to feel more like a stage 1 mod in the pervious model.

Imho if your choices are between the 14 STi sedan & 15 STi it's a no brainier. The 15 is simply superior in every way other than the core engine but also the EJ engine is already tried so you don't have quite as much concern about worrying how it wil react to tuning/mods or issues that may occur with a new less tested engine series. Some are not big fans of the EJ anyway though, so they are very disappointed to not see a new engine in the STi like the regular WXR got for 2015. Understandable.

IMHO if you're hung up on the looks between the 2014 & 2015 well... I don't know why you would even be looking at Subarus anyway lol. I really find it laughable that some see the choice between the 14 & 15 as simply one of which looks better. That's funny.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have some time check this out to get lots of technical info from Subaru on improvements in the 2015:

2015 Subaru WRX STI: More Than Everything You Ever Wanted to Know - YouTube
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    From what I saw on reviews it has the same six speed, same DCCD, essentially the same motor, Same Brembos etc. I'm sure there's some minor updates or improvements within those systems. The interior is also updated and looks great imo. You get a much better sound system, but I think that's only with the premium package. But the main thing for me would be that you get the new chassis which is much better than the outgoing. And the suspension is much better as well. It seems to me to be a lot better car all around. But it's highlight is the improved suspension and chassis.

You can't really say it's worth it for you until you drive in it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry J, this is where you and I diverge. The EJ257 is indeed "tried," and what this means is all the weaknesses have been exposed. Many of those weaknesses have been remedied in the much more modern FA20. I am extremely excited about the handling of the 2015 STi, since this is what matters for the most part. Previous iterations of the WRX and WRX STi left much to be desired in this department. If Subaru had chosen to install the FA20 in this version of the STi, I would be purchasing the STi in 2014. However, empirical data show the naturally aspirated version of the FA20 in the BRZ/FRS has a higher power ceiling than the EJ257 stock bottom end when forced induction is applied. Modern fuel injection, compression ratio, proper turbo location, and a square motor show the immediate benefits of the new design.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Sorry J, this is where you and I diverge. The EJ257 is indeed "tried," and what this means is all the weaknesses have been exposed. Many of those weaknesses have been remedied in the much more modern FA20. I am extremely excited about the handling of the 2015 STi, since this is what matters for the most part. Previous iterations of the WRX and WRX STi left much to be desired in this department. If Subaru had chosen to install the FA20 in this version of the STi, I would be purchasing the STi in 2014. However, empirical data show the naturally aspirated version of the FA20 in the BRZ/FRS has a higher power ceiling than the EJ257 stock bottom end when forced induction is applied. Modern fuel injection, compression ratio, proper turbo location, and a square motor show the immediate benefits of the new design.
    I get that. I would not think of challenging you on the question FA design superiority. The OP was asking about 2014 STi versus 2015 STi though, not STi versus WRX. So he isn't really debating between the FA or EJ. I wasn't trying to say the EJ is superior to the FA just because it's tried and explored more. Just mentioning that some fsee the EJ as at least already a known entity (with aftermarket already in place) and there is some value in that (how much value,is debatable of course) I wouldn't attempt to debate that it is more awesome.

Personally though, I don't see any reason (if your not currently a wrx or STi owner like myself and considering jumping back in) to wait though. If they update the STi engine in a year or two and it's that big of a deal, one can simply trade up.
    -The J

zax
    In such an argument, I completely agree. The 2015 WRX STi is VASTLY superior than the previous generation. Subaru identified the major deficiency of the previous generation and made amends.

Facebook me here

You guys may know your technical... but I know one thing where the 2015's are hugely deficit....

NO HATCH OPTION!!!!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    You guys may know your technical... but I know one thing where the 2015's are hugely deficit....

NO HATCH OPTION!!!!

I too would rather have a hatch compared to a sedan. However, I also appreciate that Subaru has focused energies on one design as opposed to splitting duty.

Facebook me here

I love performance. However I'm waiting for the flares to be updated. No wide body appearance shame on you design team. 2 more years to make it look like kim k.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.