This is a discussion on 04/05 or 06/07? within the Car Purchasing Forum forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Originally Posted by Raimonds00 I know many factors change insurance cost, but what do you pay if you dont mind ...
2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX
I prefer to the 2.0 for a couple reasons.
1) people have tanked the trans in 2.5's on stage 2 power, i've been stage 2 for over 150k miles with zero issues and still sport the original clutch even.
2) by all reports, the 2.5 in the 06/07's get poor gas mileage. Some i've talked to get as bad as 20 and they claim to drive sane, shifting at 3k rpm's and all that. I get 30mpg in an 04 with 222k miles on it. Some of my worst tanks of gas while driving like a maniac didn't even break below 25mpg.
Reports of it being lifeless are exaggerated, but then i went stage 2 within months so i don't remember what it felt like stock. I just know it's still fun to drive 7 years after i bought it, even with the high mileage.
Blobeye Syndicate #2004
Military Militia #30-06
2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96
Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.
The car would be insured under my mom, and I would just pay her whatever the cost was so hopefully it wont be too bad but I think I'm just gonna keep my eyes open for a decent deal on whatever I can find 04+. Thanks for the advice everyone!
DUDE, i was literally just in this situtation, I am 17 and I KNEW i wanted a Subaru just didnt know which one. couple things that got me was that the 06/07 models generally have less mileage on the odometer, at least in most situations. Also looks should matter to you, your going to be constantly with your car so might as well get one that appeals to your eyes.
Anyway since i resorted with the hawkeyes (which IMO look the best) i have been getting low gas millage keep that in mind as well cause youll be digging through your wallet quite a bit. Also i bought mine already with modification, i was concerned at first but since some of the mods were some that i was already thinking of doing in the long run and my parents were going to pay insurance (Love them so much) it was a deal i could not refuse so i took it. My heart was racing when i stepped on the gas pedal coming out of the lot.
First thing did was go to the mechanics, something highly recommended if your buying used, had it checked for everything, full rundown, compression test, oil checks, all that good stuff to make sure i didnt just throw away a significant amount of money just to bit me in the ass. The car was surprisingly in pretty good shape aside from a slipping clutch and the bill i paid the mechanic, i was pretty happy with my buy. 07 is great, most times in subarus low end torque isint really that great but just wait till that turbo kicks in and peels your face off then you wont worry about the low end power haha.
Sorry about the long post
anyway in short what im trying to say is in your situtation take the following into account
- looks, because might as well get a car youll like to look at.
- Mods, if you find one without them the better, but if it has some hopefully not to many dont shy away just do a very thorough check up inside and out
- Gas mileage, will definetly put a hole in your wallet whichever year you get
- and Power, the 06,07 models come stock with more, but the 04/05 arent too far behind
Good luck with you purchase, I wish you the best.